IGNORED

Could CV do vector graphics?

tz101

My all time favorite game is Tac/Scan wich I tried many many time to reproduce on CV .... but without any success :(

THAT'S the game I would love to port on CV

If someone is willing to help on graphics, please, I beg you to let me know

Not that hard I think, it is all smoke and mirrors.

I would help, depending on how you want it done: the arcade requires 2KB+4KB of RAM, uses analog sound, paddle, etc. Get it? ;)

Anyways, contact me if you want to discuss...

• Like 1

My all time favorite game is Tac/Scan wich I tried many many time to reproduce on CV .... but without any success :(

THAT'S the game I would love to port on CV

If someone is willing to help on graphics, please, I beg you to let me know

Not that hard I think, it is all smoke and mirrors.

I would help, depending on how you want it done: the arcade requires 2KB+4KB of RAM, uses analog sound, paddle, etc. Get it? ;)

Anyways, contact me if you want to discuss...

Interesting :)

I wonder If the Roller Controller could handle Tac/Scan well :ponder:

I mean this game is pratically made to use the Roller Controller

Looking by the Coleco made mockup, doesn't seem like they were going to reproduce it like a vector game

If I were going to make it, I would prefer using vector style

I'll contact you Eduardo, thanks for willing to help ;)

Maybe we could make it to use SGM features? ... that would make another SGM title for the SGM release

Maybe we could make it to use SGM features? ... that would make another SGM title for the SGM release

Tac/Scan is cool in every possible way, it is easy to play, addictive, has great graphics,... challenging to port for the CV. Sounds like an irresistible project...

Tac/Scan is cool in every possible way, it is easy to play, addictive, has great graphics,... challenging to port for the CV. Sounds like an irresistible project...

I do really like how the SFX sounds in Tac/Scan, would it be possible to perfectly render those sounds on CV?

I agree with you, Tac/Scan is so much addictive, I do really wonder why Coleco did not make it.

Would have made a best seller on CV in the 80s without any doubt

I agree with you, Tac/Scan is so much addictive, I do really wonder why Coleco did not make it.

I think it is because it is far to be easy to do... I can imagine how to do it ,but the sum of work needed is discouraging. And i would love to see a version made in Eduardo. :)

was it a popular and known game? I had never heard about that game before today.

I do really like how the SFX sounds in Tac/Scan, would it be possible to perfectly render those sounds on CV?

You mean regular CV PSG or SGM? The arcade has a soundCPU, it seems to use a timer to produce some advanced sound FXes, so regular PSG would sound... well, different.

Or another stinker like Gorf... :P

... And i would love to see a version made in Eduardo. :)

100% agree with you, Eduardo would make this game awesome on CV :cool:

was it a popular and known game? I had never heard about that game before today.

You're kidding me right?

That must be because this is an obscure title in Europe

Does it was even release in Europe?

Seriously, I know that few people know Tac/Scan , but you really gain to discover this gem!

Truly Sega did make a really nice vector game with Tac/Scan, unusual space war theme here

Edited by retroillucid

Roller Controller does not equal wheel/paddle analog controller. Equate it to trying to play Asteroids or Tempest with the Atari arcade trak ball. It just wouldn't work.

Well, I had the paddle planned for the SGM, so that I can release Arkanoid. Tac/Scan would be another reason for it, if J-F agrees.

In fact the paddle is something J-F could help me with. J-F, let's discuss those things, please drop me an email when you have the time...

... And i would love to see a version made in Eduardo. :)

100% agree with you, Eduardo would make this game awesome on CV :cool:

You're kidding me right?

Seriously, I know that few people know Tac/Scan , but you really gain to discover this gem!

Truly Sega did make a really nice vector game with Tac/Scan, unusual space war theme here

As someone raised in Brazil I had never played this one either until a few years ago when I visited Funspot. In fact I played a lot of games at Funspot that I was well aware since the 80s but had never played the actual arcade. It is funny that some just didn't stand the test of time very well, you play them and wonder what the fuss was all about, while others are just a joy to play even for someone who had never played them before (that is, they are good for non nostalgic reasons).

I think Tac/Scan is just one of them, though its sister game Star Trek got probably more attention back then, it just isn't as fun to play today. Just my 2 cents...

As someone raised in Brazil I had never played this one either until a few years ago when I visited Funspot. In fact I played a lot of games at Funspot that I was well aware since the 80s but had never played the actual arcade. It is funny that some just didn't stand the test of time very well, you play them and wonder what the fuss was all about, while others are just a joy to play even for someone who had never played them before (that is, they are good for non nostalgic reasons).

I think Tac/Scan is just one of them, though its sister game Star Trek got probably more attention back then, it just isn't as fun to play today. Just my 2 cents...

I certainly wouldn't mind having Tac/Scan on my CV, but I dunno... From the YouTube footage I've seen, the game seems a little complex for our favorite console. The player's squadron and the enemy ships and projectiles can probably be done with sprites, but the moving star fields (especially in 3D mode) and the warp tunnel seem like more of a challenge to implement.

I certainly wouldn't mind having Tac/Scan on my CV, but I dunno... From the YouTube footage I've seen, the game seems a little complex for our favorite console. The player's squadron and the enemy ships and projectiles can probably be done with sprites, but the moving star fields (especially in 3D mode) and the warp tunnel seem like more of a challenge to implement.

Sounds doable to me, but it won't be a piece of cake though

Tac/Scan will use SGM features, so it'll clearly help too

The main plan is to use real arcade spinner on CV :cool:

I'll let Eduardo talk more about it

Edited by retroillucid

As I said, Tac/Scan is largely smoke and mirrors. The arcade hardware isn't capable of real 3D like Battlezone, the only thing it can do is to rotate and scale sprite-like vector shapes. So you can think of it like any other arcade game that can scale and rotate sprites, still everything is in fact flat and 2D.

All the "3D" effects you see, like ships going from overhead view to 3D view are actually all "pre-rendered" in ROM. The warp tunnel is just a bunch of the exact same shape scalling and rotating. In fact the tunnel pieces rotate through only 8 different angles until they get back to their original position.

For all of that we have the MegaCart, so we can replace scalling and rotation by hardware with huge amounts of pre-rendered graphics.Cheating yes, but it should still look good. ;)

Effectivly with a MegaCart it becomes lot of more doable.

You're kidding me right?

No, i'm not kidding, i didn't know that game. I don't know if it has been released or not. May it was but i never noticed it , in fact when i was child and going to arcade i was only interrested in playing racing game... and simply looked others playing other games. And i was not really interrested by Vector game. I wanted see "colors"! :ponder:

Effectivly with a MegaCart it becomes lot of more doable.

You're kidding me right?

No, i'm not kidding, i didn't know that game. I don't know if it has been released or not. May it was but i never noticed it , in fact when i was child and going to arcade i was only interrested in playing racing game... and simply looked others playing other games. And i was not really interrested by Vector game. I wanted see "colors"! :ponder:

I don't recall ever seing the arcade game in any Montreal arcade when I was a kid... First time I ever heard about it was in the Coleco press kit.

I don't recall ever seing the arcade game in any Montreal arcade when I was a kid... First time I ever heard about it was in the Coleco press kit.

That's quite possible, I never ever seen a Galaga, Carnival, Zaxxon and a bunch of popular arcade games in my area ;)

First time I saw a Galaga arcade, I was like: WTF? A Galaxian bootleg!? :lol:

Same happen with Pac Man Plus

There were 3 places in my town to play arcade, man! how many hours I spent there playing all those arcade games! ... Ah, the good old time! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe I'm spreading old news...but I was reading ColecoNation on the Opcode site today, and in issue #8 in an interview with

Dave Johnson, he indicates that Tac/Scan was completed, but never released.

Maybe he was mistaken....

NK_ Can you talk about the projects at Coleco that never saw the light of day?

Which of these projects made it to the working prototype phase?

DJ_ There were many demos and a few games brought to completion that were not

brought to market. I think Tac-Scan was completed but not released (Frank Lam is

still bitter about that one) and there may have been a few others. I know there were

a few versions of arcade knock offs that were developed for the other systems but

not released, because it was decided that the hardware couldn't support the game

concept and graphics. I remember a version of Zaxxon for Intellivision that was

exceptionally lame.

Edited by Bartsfam