IGNORED

C64 Disc Full Of Games

Just hooked my C64 back up. My problem is I have several discs that have a bunch of games on them and forgot how to get a list of the games to come up so I can pick a game and play it. Can anyone help? Does anyone remember how to call up the games so they can be played? I've looked at all the manuals and could'nt find anything. Thanks for any help someone can give me.

I remember quite a few had thier menu program as the first program on the disk, so

LOAD "*",8,1

..would get it loaded...

Didn't some of the fast load carts have a shortcut for disk menu? I didn't own one BITD, but borrowed one once.. :-(

desiv

Edited by desiv

Tried the LOAD"$",8 then list. the list of games comes up but can't get any to run. Tried using the run command after it says the game I want is loaded but can't get the game to play. Any suggestions?

Sometimes there's a boot program that then loads and runs the game. It'll be a small program usually right above the game you want to play.

EX: Moon.boot might load Moon Patrol on one of mine. You'd have to give me a list of what you see exactly or a very good screenshot of your disk directory for further help.

• 3 weeks later...

Load"$",8 (hit return and you will get a listing on the disk of programs and games)

-------------------------

0 "TEST DISK " 23 2A

20 "DONKEY KONG" PRG

31 "TROLLS" PRG

3 "etc" PRG

641 BLOCKS FREE.

-------------------------

If you want to run Donkey Kong you would do this (the asterisk or wildcard loads the first PRG in the directory listing!):

Load"*",8,1

Load"*",8 (and type run and hit return if you omit the 1)

or

Load"Donkey*",8,1

Load"Donkey*",8

Load"Donkey Kong",8,1

Load"Donkey Ko*",8

If you want to run trolls you cannot use the wildcard by itself:

Load"Trolls",8,1

Load"Trolls",8

Load"Trol*",8

Using the wildcard sometimes may not work. If all else fails type the whole name out.

Hackers would create menu's for pirated games. I rarely used them. Try and load them on your own.

c64keyboard.gif

Edited by cimerians

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for all the input on this problem for me. It's all been invaluable and can't thank everyone enough. Does anyone know where I can get replacement discs for peripherals for the 64 that I have the device but not the disc that's supposed to "run" it. Two I have are a Commodore 1581 disc drive and a cart called Super 1750 Clone. I can't get them to do anything. Thanks

Edited by thegamezmaster

Thanks everyone for all the input on this problem for me. It's all been invaluable and can't thank everyone enough. Does anyone know where I can get replacement discs for peripherals for the 64 that I have the device but not the disc that's supposed to "run" it. Two I have are a Commodore 1581 disc drive and a cart called Super 1750 Clone. I can't get them to do anything. Thanks

A 1581 doesn't need a boot disk of any kind, it functions like any other Commodore drive. The only things to be aware of are that it doesn't like DS/HD disks (just like any other DS/DD drive) and the device number, which is set by the jumpers at the back of the drive, might've been set to something other than 8 since most users tended to have these units further up the serial chain - try loading a directory from device 8, then 9, 10 and 11 to see where it is and don't change the jumpers without powering the drive down first! =-)

Anything that supports a 1750 will spot and offer to use it, some of the more recent jewel cracks by Remember and Nostalgia will load into expansion RAM and the Nostalgia version of Toki in particular needs a 1750 to run as originally designed (it started life as a cartridge and relied on fast bank switching).