IGNORED

Simple shumup(shhot-em-up) possible?

Would a simple shoot-em-up be possible to do on the Atari 2600? I am interested in trying to do one to see if a simple r-type game is possible. I play on releasing updated builds as i go, and may even turn it into a community project. Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Primordial Ooze

You should try out vanguard. It was one of my favorite games as a kid. The 2600 is well known for shmups. Chopper command, is another good one. Defender, Super Cobra, laser gates, snoopy, are a bunch of side scrollers.

Vanguard should give you a good example of what was possible then, with powerups (invincibility) and IIRC different firing schemes. Bobby's randomly generated R-Type linked above sounds promising.

• 4 weeks later...

There aren't a lot of side-scrolling shooters on the 2600, for obvious technical reasons - though definitely check out Stargate/Defender II - but there are of course plenty of vertical shmups; including lots of great homebrews.

Best original shoot em ups:

Space Invaders

River Raid

River Raid II

Phoenix

Demon Attack

Stargate/Defender II

Galaxian

Defender

Spider Fighter

Vanguard

Chopper Command

My favorite simple homebrew shoot em ups:

Conquest of Mars

Space Instigators

Oystron

Seawolf

• Like 1

I found the images I did for R-type on an old harddrive and thought I would share these few images. post-10601-1244436265_thumb.png

post-10601-1244436306_thumb.png

Also, as you can see, here is also a fun mock of super mario bros. :)

This was the first bit of images that I ever drew as mocks for 2600. I think it would be doable with a harmony and DPC+ possibly even with bB.