IGNORED

Man the Virtual boy can take a beating

The VB definitely cannot take a beating. There is a serious issue with the adhesive used for the screen cables, which cause owners tons of problems. They can come lose very easily, causing all sorts of display problems. Luckily this is something that can be fixed (I use a hairdryer to reheat the glue), but it's still a pain to deal with.

• Like 1

Too bad this display cable problem isn't just a soldering problem or like on the 32X with a pair of ribbon cables which can cause the unit to not function.

VBs may not take beatings very well, but they sure do have one hell of a markup. If it weren't for the ridiculous prices, I'd have bought one a long time ago.

• Like 1

Too bad this display cable problem isn't just a soldering problem or like on the 32X with a pair of ribbon cables which can cause the unit to not function.

VBs may not take beatings very well, but they sure do have one hell of a markup. If it weren't for the ridiculous prices, I'd have bought one a long time ago.

You can actually 'permanently' fix the VB display problem by soldering the wires in place. This isn't an easy job though. I consider myself to have fairly decent soldering skills and it's not something I'm willing to do on my system. If it wasn't so hard to find a system in good condition and the price wasn't so high, I might be willing to give it a shot. As it is now, my blowdryer technique has held up for nearly 6 months now, so I'm happy with that :)

You can actually 'permanently' fix the VB display problem by soldering the wires in place. This isn't an easy job though. I consider myself to have fairly decent soldering skills and it's not something I'm willing to do on my system. If it wasn't so hard to find a system in good condition and the price wasn't so high, I might be willing to give it a shot. As it is now, my blowdryer technique has held up for nearly 6 months now, so I'm happy with that :)

How small are the display wires? It might not be too bad. If you aren't that confident in your soldering skills, buy a desoldering iron (even a cheapo one) and get some flux! The latter is a must when doing electronic soldering. It helps solder to stick to certain metal surfaces. I've had lots that my solder didn't like, such as wires or through-hole components. Flux also helps to prevent cold solder joints and it can also help keep solder from touching eachother on closely positioned pins.

Oh yeah, if the wires are super tiny, you might want to get a smaller tip for your iron. That's something I should do for when I'm fixing Game Gears.

both of my (extremely babied) vb's ran into the screen issue, and I really need to send one for repair. Certainly not something that was designed to last as well as most early nintendo systems.

As for how easy it is to do by ones self--it's a ribbon cable solder job, so it's a complete horror show.

Edited by Reaperman

Ribbon cable, huh? If one puts their mind to it, you can learn and gain the experience to solder something like that. Just do the following:

- Get an iron with a small tip, with some rosin core lead-based solder

- Buy some flux (works well with rosin core solder) and a desoldering iron (probably with a small tip too)

- Practice, practice, practice on worthless stuff like a dead DVD player.

I say this because I for one don't know of anyone who specifically offers a service for fixing Virtual Boys. I'm not a good candidate because I'm in Canada and I've never owned a Virtual Boy before.

my friends VB wasn't so lucky :(

he was hosting a game gathering, mixed with alcohol, and a couple patrons got into a physical scuffle, right next to the table where the VB was… the VB was knocked to the floor and the stand shattered in four pieces - I don't know if the screens were affected, I'll have to ask him…

the moral of the story, no more playing Teleroboxer at game gatherings!

Ever since I got mine, I've been treating it very delicately, so far the screen on it is perfect. For three years now. I know I probably jinxed myself for saying that, but it's true. The most damage it's taken is probably a small bump into the wall while moving it around or something.

vb repair guide

Can't tell exactly how tiny they are though.

Its doable for me, but I'm kinda scared about using chemicals on that cable. I have never done anything like that before, and I don't have any spare VB's to test on.

They look to be about a dime width apart, maybe a little less, but flux and a steady hand will make this job fairly easy. Non steady hands... can easily bridge them. The contacts themselves look to be pretty thick, so if you just work with the centers of each of the leads, should be very easily doable.

I do like the oven method. :)

Edited by keilbaca

Exactly what I did with mine. I have no where near the skills required to do it though so I tracked down and paid a person experienced in this exact repair, took months before I had a working VB again(all thanks to slow as postal service) but it was worth every cent as it went from being unplayable to perfect.

Oh and as for them taking a beating, I keep mine on my shelf with the stand removed so that very thing doesn't get tested. :P

Edited by A_Locomotive

While the VB can be delicate, pretty much every other Nintendo system is built like a tank.

Once, my friends Wii, while running Smash Bros. Brawl, was pulled down from the table by a GameCube controller plugged into the system. It fell 3 ft. onto the solid, hard floor.

The game was still running.

Edited by Animan

I had no idea about these problems with the VB. I guess I've been extremely lucky up to this point that mine's still ticking.

The only part that's broken on me is the stand. The middle section broke and now it can't stand up on my desk. I have to use it laying down and looking down into it, which as you can imagine is quite uncomfortable.

Of course, the main reason I would continue to play the system is for the games that I have for it (most of them). Now that the 3DS is out, I wonder if Nintendo would consider porting over some of those as part of the Virtual Console series (likely not, since I figure they probably want to distance themselves as far away from the VB as possible). Of course, I'd settle for full-blown remakes of these games, done as true 3DS games. At least that way if my VB ever did kick the proverbial bucket, I would still be able to play the games I have for it.

Only slightly related, but after reading this thread, I got to wondering about the VirtualBoy, as I've never actually played one, (Still haven't)

So, I found RealityBoy (emulator) and Wario for the Virtual Boy.

Using that, with the red/blue 3D glasses... I have to say..

That's kind of fun.. I was impressed...

Now, I'm playing it on a laptop, not staring into the VirtualBoy itself..

But the depth is pretty good and used well in that game...

(Haven't tried any others)

If you own a Virtual Boy and have used an emulator, is it in any way comparable??

Supposedly, Reality Boy supports LCD 3D shutters also, but my laptop doesn't support that.. My PC does, or at least it did when I had Windows on it, but that's been quite a while...

Just wondering..

desiv