IGNORED

7800 HSC Season 4 - Game 6 *Galaga*

JacobZu7zu7

True Story

When I was in middle school (89-92) I had finally got a NES. They had been out for a while but I was happy to finally have SMB. That same year the SMS got marked WAY down so I got one of those too. In ‘92 I was in the 8th grade and the SNES came out. With me just getting both the NES and SMS about a year earlier and still giving my 2600 and C64 love, there was no way I was going to con my folks into getting me one. Not to mention it’s $200 price tag. We were still living in Athens GA then. A local convenient store chain call “The Spot” (there was only 2 in town) was a place we sometimes rented movies and games. It was closer than the Blockbuster across town. One day we went to the counter to check out and there was a box to drop your name in for a SNES raffle. No charge. Just drop your name in the hat. I bet half my school mates put their names in that box. Then one day, I came home from school and there was a message on the machine from, you guess it, “The Spot.” I HAD WON! I got my dad to take me down to pick up my new toy. I remember I had to sign a slip for them to post in the store showing that someone actually won the console. I got to school the next day and had bragging rights to the win. Some didn’t believe me, but they came to terms with it. All they had to do was walk into the store and there was my name on the ticket. I no longer have that exact SNES but I do have one. It is IMO still the greatest cart console ever made. Such clear graphics, great stereo sound, fun simple games. The thing is a walking, breathing cartoon.

B

• Like 1

cool story bigbee99....

My Gaming experience story

When I was a kid, around 4 my family had the Odyssey2. Sooo I spent my baby years turning on KC Munchkin,

Monkey Shines, Freedom Fighters etc. I tried UFO a few times but didn't like it much cause I could never

escape the UFOs sharp laser beams! I remember watching my older brother and his pals play Quest for the Rings,

and bein pretty impressed by the effects, and the dragon.

Later on I managed a few 2600 games at my cousins house, Asteroids and E.T.. E.T. seemed pretty cool, but

didn't know what the point was. Tried my brothers borrowed Pitfall and thought the game was FRICKIN' AMAZING...

We then got Commodore 64, and Aliens and Last Ninja were in heavy rotation. Most friends and bros'

memories and that come from this computer... including my bro and his friends smoking and listening

to heavy metal, so loud I had to leave the room after a few mins. My friend spilled 7UP on it, while

playing Predator... but it still works to this day!

Next I really wanted NES, cause it was 1990 and it went down in price... I got it, my first system all to myself.

I played it to death, and had my two best friends playin Excitebike a lot and S-Mario Bros 1 and 2,

then I rented part 3, and we played that too. Then bro bought SNES, and we still play it today!

Mario Kart and Super Tennis etc... we were hooked on Street Fighter II for a while in the day too,

payed like over $60 dollars for it. lol The Alien 3 game was awesome, my brother friend and I,

spend summer of 1993 on it.

Recently, my brother was his friend and I, so he said.. hey Jake, get a game for me to play there,

the first box of game I looked at was 3rd party titles mostly, I just grin knowing my bro doesn't like 2600,

and put in Space Cavern....

He then started to play, "uh... what I do, just shoot upwards??" YES...I said to him "what the, wow this is thrilling" "Jake, what is the point?... (3 mins pass) "god I ask u to get me a game, get this god awful thing outta here" "LOL, my response" **Space Cavern shuts off** Later on we settled on Centipede and my bro liked it, got a nice score of 62ks, one of the few 2600 games he'll play, but he likes 7800 and thinks its the best of Atari's work, games like Food Fight, Ms Pac-man.

That's all folks!

I'm a little surprised at myself for not playing much Atari this week.

It was a lot of trouble, but probably worth it.

galaga103330.jpg

Back when Nintendo ruled the industry with an iron fist, I was rather oblivious to nearly everything that had nothing to do with Nintendo or Atari. (And even then, I believed that the Atari 7800 came long before the NES. I know that's technically true, but I had no idea Atari was actually trying to compete at the time.) Nintendo Power was the only thing I'd read outside of whatever school assigned, Nintendo-related cartoons were all I'd watch (aside from the odd Transformers or TMNT that my brothers would watch), and my toys had to play by pretend-Nintendo rules. I would occasionally play outside and with other kids, but I can't remember the details or thought processes behind that. (My parents probably made me, or something like that.) Pretty much all I can hold on to from back then that involved other people, was for some reason being in the house of some girls (on the same block or damn close) and playing Mario games with one another. At one point this included those Super Mario 3 Happy Meal toys. The most specific thing I can remember was that it was the first time I'd reached World 8 in Mario 3 and everyone was pretty damn excited. (Might've been the girls' first time seeing world 8.) Bah, if only I'd had more thought capacities beyond the simple ability to play games, I probably could have made something of those times. Moved away from there, forgot all about it until fairly recently. Memories like these are not easy to dredge up.

Sneak preview

Next week is, *Failsafe*

I reckon now's a good time to note that Failsafe isn't even on the 7800 game list where one could easily see the box, manual and game. (Other homebrews are there, but not that one.)

Edited by Jifremok

Still could use some gaming stories before the night is up!!

Gorfy, Spice, atomic... feel free to jot something down quickly.

The game closes at 1 am Central/ 2am Atlantic time. (same with 2600 club)

Got tonight to work on Galaga!

My Final Score last night,

GALAGA is tricky!

No change is standing but over 15ks better.

post-3059-0-43623300-1312993541_thumb.jpg

Edited by JacobZu7zu7

i remember having the 2600 for quite some time back in the 80s. we didn't get a 7800 till probably at least 1988, when it came for christmas. i remember that we only had the following 7800 games back in the day, as most of my collection came later:

Pole Position II (of course)

Joust

Robotron 2084

Double Dragon

Karateka

Ikari Warriors

Titlematch Pro Wrestling

my brother and i totally worked on my parents back then to get joust and double dragon.

we had a ton of 2600 games of course, so the system got plenty of use. i still have the original deck and games. the deck is in 'semi-retirement' as the power button is pretty flaky, i use another deck i picked up which has the expansion port. my original deck was also flaky with pac man collection, while my current deck is not.

oh, and we got robotoron as an apology gift from my future brother in law when he ran over a couple of the pumpkins we were growing in the back yard. odd memory this brought up. :)

i remember having the 2600 for quite some time back in the 80s. we didn't get a 7800 till probably at least 1988, when it came for christmas. i remember that we only had the following 7800 games back in the day, as most of my collection came later:

Pole Position II (of course)

Joust

Robotron 2084

Double Dragon

Karateka

Ikari Warriors

Titlematch Pro Wrestling

my brother and i totally worked on my parents back then to get joust and double dragon.

we had a ton of 2600 games of course, so the system got plenty of use. i still have the original deck and games. the deck is in 'semi-retirement' as the power button is pretty flaky, i use another deck i picked up which has the expansion port. my original deck was also flaky with pac man collection, while my current deck is not.