IGNORED

Galaga

tz101

The A8 hardware does not lend itself towards producing an arcade quality like version of Galaga.

Using hardware sprites is desirable for fast and smooth movement - but you can't retain the cutesy graphics and details in the coin-op sprites in a home A8 version of this game. Though I have yet to sit down and have a go at drawing any - I should have a go at this, to prove the point.

But also that many multi-coloured sprites moving around the screen in Galaga fashion - is asking for the impossible - because flicker will be present. Another concern is whether there is enough screen area to move around in, as it's likely there is simply not enough room available for that many colourful and detailed sprites. There is a C-64 version of Zalaga which illustrates this problem.

The best Battlezone like game on the 5200 would be Encounter. While it's not Battlezone - it is the same kind of game - able to provide you with fast paced action that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

Harvey

I share the desire to see what could have been done on the 5200 platform although I'm kind of glad it remains vaporware. Not sure the demands of all that rapid movement; the swarm ebb, the diving fighters, spinning ships, rapid fire, tractor beams and the fluid movement of challenging stages would have translated well. Having said that, I wouldn't have guessed Xevious could have been so thoroughly well translated.

Would like to see AA issue Xevious and the home-brew community embrace the challenge of Galaga on the 5200

Yes it does, or you can play with one controller.

It's not bad at all, it just needs a little polish. I think the proto is like 95% complete.

Wouldn't that be awkward since the joysticks lack a fire button at the top of the stick? [or a trigger].

Edited by Lynxpro

I would dearly like to see a really nice Xevious done - or a Xevious inspired one.

I did have a go with an inspired one back in the day - for the PAL A8 hardware - Hawkquest. This can't run on NTSC due to using as much of the Vertical Blank Interupt as much as possible. You can view the video of it, or try it out under the Altirra emulator to see what could have been. (It was never possible for the 5200 though- though it's possible these days because of the Atarimax cartridge).

The programmer for it - could have made it NTSC friendly - had he a NTSC computer to test it with. But it was to be sold only to the PAL market.

It would not be easy to do a good quality Xevious - and would require a lot of time, effort and determination to do so. I think it's always better to do an inspired one, to use what elements of Xevious you can - because I don't think that Xevious can be done as detailed as the coin-op original. If you simply copied the 7800 version - that is more doable.

Harvey

Edited by kiwilove