IGNORED

Frantic (2600)

SpiceWare

Maybe in the arcade version of Berzerk, but in the 2600 version, the robots do that all the time, I know because I've played about 3 hours of Berzerk this week, and that is become my primary strategy for clearing a room.

I suspect that was changed because the robot's couldn't collide with each other in the 2600 version.

Could they in the arcade version? I didn't know that, I've never played the arcade version of Berzerk.

-Disjaukifa

big update in the blog. There's a minor glitch that I want to track down before posting it here.

If you don't know how to find somebody's blog, quickest way is to look for the book_open.png to the left of one of their posts, below the row of joysticks and above the post count.

Edited by SpiceWare

big update in the blog. There's a minor glitch that I want to track down before posting it here.

If you don't know how to find somebody's blog, quickest way is to look for the book_open.png to the left of one of their posts, below the row of joysticks and above the post count.

900th POST!!!!

Ok back on topic, I just went to your blog and the most recent thing is from the 25th :?. Is there an delay with updates to a blog on AA?

-Disjaukifa

Did you look at the big* update in the post from the 25th :? It was posted late last night just before I went to bed.

* explosions, bonus points, revamped shots, Evil Otto, humanoid death sequence, etc

*Hand slapps forehead* :mad: Ok so I saw the one of the 25th and thought it was small . . . I didn't actually think to click on the title and that there would be more!!!!

WOW that was horrible!!!

Downloading the latest build now, can't wait to try it!

-Disjaukifa

Aha! Wonder how many others don't realize that AA's blog module shows a summary list :ponder:

Yeah . . . honestly feeling stupid after that one. Fantastic update by the way, love it! Just played it a little bit, however got one question. Why can't you use the fire button to start the game?

-Disjaukifa

because I haven't written the main menu routines yet.

That'll happen when I'll start on the Frenzy variation. At that point there needs to be a way to select between the two.

Ok I need to read this thread and your blog complete. Frantic is really going to be two games in one? Frenzy the sequel to Berzerk and Frantic is the sequel to Frenzy? Do I have the right?

-Disjaukifa

Frantic is really going to be two games in one?

Yep

Frenzy the sequel to Berzerk and Frantic is the sequel to Frenzy? Do I have the right?

Nope - Frantic will have 2 game variations, one inspired by Berzerk, the other inspired by Frenzy.

Edited by SpiceWare
  • Like 1

Frantic is really going to be two games in one?

Yep

Frenzy the sequel to Berzerk and Frantic is the sequel to Frenzy? Do I have the right?

Nope - Frantic will have 2 game variations, one inspired by Berzerk, the other inspired by Frenzy.

Ok I gotcha, yeah been playing your bin a little more, the shrapnel is not my friend . . . at all. I wish my Harmony cartridge was here, I would love to try this game out on my Atari and not use my keyboard.

Do you plan on doing a limited cartridge release of this game?

GREAT WORK!

-Disjaukifa

Limited? no. It'll be in the AtariAge Store with my other 2 games, Medieval Mayhem and Stay Frosty (part of Stella's Stocking).

Wow, it almost feels complete already!

Oh, there's a lot more to be done. Frenzy routines, sound effects, digital samples, AtariVox support, animated robots*, AI refinement, etc.

* I am a little worried about the graphics. I've been working off the mockups espire8 sent me back in May. I pretty sure those aren't all the images there should be, and he hasn't been on AA since June.

Limited? no. It'll be in the AtariAge Store with my other 2 games, Medieval Mayhem and Stay Frosty (part of Stella's Stocking).

Wow, it almost feels complete already!

Oh, there's a lot more to be done. Frenzy routines, sound effects, digital samples, AtariVox support, animated robots*, AI refinement, etc.

* I am a little worried about the graphics. I've been working off the mockups espire8 sent me back in May. I pretty sure those aren't all the images there should be, and he hasn't been on AA since June.

I just really want this on a cartridge!!! If there is anything I can do to help, beta testing, alpha testing, etc let me know! Freaking awesome game!

-Disjaukifa

Awesome video, I wish I had the understanding of how to do that, so you are only using assembly to display graphics and what I'm guessing will be sound, and using the ARM CPU in Harmony/Melody to handle the game logic. Dude where did you think to do this!!! I've got a game that I'm just in the design stage at the moment, haven't really started coding it but I don't think its going to be nearly as impressive as this one is going to be :sad:

Keep the updates coming!

-Disjaukifa

Lots of changes

• revamped the robot shots. They're slower than before and now ramp up in maximum number onscreen.
  • death sequences for humanoid and robots. warning: shrapnel is deadly
  • implemented lives.
  • temporarily added the score to the main menu so you can see how you did on your last game.
  • robots now inactive for 1 second at start of each round.
  • bonus points (kill all robots before exiting room)
  • Evil Otto (preliminary routines)
  • Robots with Stealth Mode - set Right Difficult to A

ROM

frantic_harmony20110826.bin

Lots of changes

• revamped the robot shots. They're slower than before and now ramp up in maximum number onscreen.
  • death sequences for humanoid and robots. warning: shrapnel is deadly
  • implemented lives.
  • temporarily added the score to the main menu so you can see how you did on your last game.
  • robots now inactive for 1 second at start of each round.
  • bonus points (kill all robots before exiting room)
  • Evil Otto (preliminary routines)
  • Robots with Stealth Mode - set Right Difficult to A

ROM

frantic_harmony20110826.bin

Good update, seriously impressed with this game, and I love the logic behind using just the TIA to do graphics,and the ARM processor on the Harmony/Melody to do the rest.

I really need to get my Harmony Cartridge in so I can play this with a real joystick!

-Disjaukifa

The robots now try to avoid the walls.

Shots now take out other shots. Occasionally a robot will rapid-fire, resulting in him taking out his own shot. That'll be addressed in a future update.

ROM (Stella instructions in 1st post)

frantic_harmony_20110827.bin

Edited by SpiceWare

The robots now try to avoid the walls.

Shots now take out other shots. Occasionally a robot will rapid-fire, resulting in him taking out his own shot. That'll be addressed in a future update.

ROM (Stella instructions in 1st post)

frantic_harmony_20110827.bin

Been playing for a little bit and I can say that this is a good . . even though the challenge is more difficult . . . update. Amazing work Spiceware.