IGNORED

Could Paperboy have been done on the 7800...

Armonigann

Yes absolutely. The only reason it wasnt, along with RoadBlasters etc. was because there was more money to be made on the NES by that point and as usual the 7800 never received the support it deserved.

This would be a great game for someone to port over to the 7800 Expansion Module.

• Like 1

I've seen a crap load of questions like this, but not really about Paperboy on the 7800.

This is not another 7800 game wish thread, although it would be sweet.

I'm just wondering if the 7800 stock could handle such a game like PP and still look good?

There's not really much to it. It's an isometric scrolling game, ala DESERT FALCON.

• Like 1

I've seen a crap load of questions like this, but not really about Paperboy on the 7800.

This is not another 7800 game wish thread, although it would be sweet.

I'm just wondering if the 7800 stock could handle such a game like PP and still look good?

There's not really much to it. It's an isometric scrolling game, ala DESERT FALCON.

Praise Jesus.

I haven't played Paperboy in a very long time but from what I remember its isometric looking and not a truly isometric game. You'd need to order the MARIA display lists so that the house/road/garden are drawn first, obstacles next, papers and then the player last. Without checking out a version of the game playing my main area of concern would be if the bike can go directly behind the obstacles (on the dirt track) at the end of each run. If it can, then you'd need to order the player sprites and obstacles accordingly.

There is a version for the BBC micro but its all in mono (if somebody wanted to do a port of it to the 7800).

I haven't played Paperboy in a very long time but from what I remember its isometric looking and not a truly isometric game. You'd need to order the MARIA display lists so that the house/road/garden are drawn first, obstacles next, papers and then the player last. Without checking out a version of the game playing my main area of concern would be if the bike can go directly behind the obstacles (on the dirt track) at the end of each run. If it can, then you'd need to order the player sprites and obstacles accordingly.

There is a version for the BBC micro but its all in mono (if somebody wanted to do a port of it to the 7800).

Mono Audio, or Mono graphics?

Sure, it's doable... but why? Paperboy was kind of a niche game, to be begin with. Some people loved it, many hated it. But has anyone ever played a console version and enjoyed it with standard controls? It needs those handlebars, only found on the cabinet.

There, that's all the nay-saying I'll post on the topic.

• Like 1

Sure, it's doable... but why? Paperboy was kind of a niche game, to be begin with. Some people loved it, many hated it. But has anyone ever played a console version and enjoyed it with standard controls? It needs those handlebars, only found on the cabinet.

There, that's all the nay-saying I'll post on the topic.

The NES version is, if nothing else, very responsive. I played the Genesis version way back in the day, though, and I couldn't stand the controls.

Yes absolutely. The only reason it wasnt, along with RoadBlasters etc. was because there was more money to be made on the NES by that point and as usual the 7800 never received the support it deserved.

This would be a great game for someone to port over to the 7800 Expansion Module.

Not for nothing, but Atari ported the game for nearly every system available at the time! Several of which sold far fewer than I think they could have for the 7800.

Mono Audio, or Mono graphics?

Graphics, it's horrible.

The NES version is, if nothing else, very responsive. I played the Genesis version way back in the day, though, and I couldn't stand the controls.

Personally I'm not a fan of most of the ports. I found the controls and game difficulty on most of them robbed my interest in playing the game.

Edited by Greg2600

The version on Nes was through Mindscape... It mentions Tengen, but the quality makes me think programmed by Mindscape much like the painful Captain America and the Avengers on Snes. My faketendo won't even start Paperboy; just loops the intro and demo like its saying to me, "you don't want to play that for real do you?"

Lynx was my favorite port.

• Like 1

The handlebars certainly make for a more authentic experience, but really that controller is just a glorified analog joystick and a single fire button. Therefore it really isn't any harder to port than any other game that originally used analog controls. Most home versions I've played are pretty decent. Those that weren't so hot, it wasn't because of the controls.

The version on Nes was through Mindscape... It mentions Tengen, but the quality makes me think programmed by Mindscape much like the painful Captain America and the Avengers on Snes.

Mindscape's arcade ports were done mostly by other programming houses. I thought Paperboy on the NES was decent enough, though I liked Tengen's Genesis release much better.

Lynx was my favorite port.

The Lynx has a fair adaption, but after the BMX event in California Games showed how well the Lynx could handle scrolling, the lack of smoothness in Paperboy disappointed me.

I think we all can agree, that Mono in audio, graphics or even viral form sucks anyway you slice it. :D :D :D

Mono audio ain't so bad. That's what every 8-bit console and computer had, after all.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's kind of like Marble Madness. Not fun playing without the big trackball.

Somewhat agree but Marble Madness would kick a** on the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad. I hope WB Games seriously brings it out...

Ah, the never-ending obsession with porting NES classics to the 7800. I must admit, it's afun topic.

Had Atari Inc. never been split up, Paperboy would've been a 7800 exclusive title back then.

We're only "fantasizing" here about bringing the title out on the console it should've been available on in the first place!