IGNORED

SIO2SD firmware update issues

Zzalg_Repus

Hello there!

I'm using a SIO2SD interface with firmware V2.4_07 which I'd like to update. However, upon pressing Shift+K3 in setup mode nothing happens.

Any help?

Thanks,

Zz

Not 100% sure but I think the key combo is Shift+K2 not K3 at least it was in some versions.

Edited by kheffington

Just tried it and the only way I could get it to upgrade was to hold down the shift on the SIO2SD while powering up the Atari and having it enter into configuration mode then hitting shift/K3 with sio2sd.bin in root of card. With the 2 version it the K4 held at start up may get it to configuration mode instead of the shift key.

Don't know if that is the correct way but it worked.

Edited by kheffington

Thanks for your replies, everyone. Unfortunately, none of them did the trick. Any new ideas?

I'm a bit stumped here, because I used to upgrade my SIO2SD all the time. I'm no newbie to this.

Can you still boot ATR's from this?

Do the buttons still allow you to assign ATR's to different drives?

What does the display look like?

Can you still boot ATR's from this?

Do the buttons still allow you to assign ATR's to different drives?

What does the display look like?

Everything else works perfectly. Mounting and booting ATRs, the in-build loader for ATRs, setting different speeds etc. The display is fine. Just the upgrade won't do. :(

I had the same problem upgrading to v2.5.

In the end, I worked out I'd not renamed the .bin file and had just downloaded it straight onto the card, leaving the original name intact.

I'd need to check but the file name of the firmware needs to be something like sio2sd.bin. The upgrade process looks specifically for a .bin file with this name.

If you've done the same as I did, you'll need to rename the file before the existing firmware will know it's there!

Hi again!

So, I finally *did* manage to get the upgrade working, just by overwriting the old sio2sd.bin file with a newer version. I did this before, but only now the upgrade actually did work. But... now the LCD display sometimes messes up, I get "card init errors" most, if not all of the time - just got my SD card working once so far. And oh, the built-in file selector won't work as well - or is there any difference in 3.0?

Any help, please?

Thanks,

Frank

Edited by Zzalg_Repus

Ok, me again. Hello.

So I'd like to revert back from buggy 3.0 to 2.5, but no. It's either "card init error" or, using a different SD card - recognised with 3.0 - "firmware update not available" - though the sio2sd.bin (v2.5) is in the root directory.

Oh dear, I regret the day I thought of "upgrading" my SIO2SD device might be a good idea. :roll:

So, in a nutshell, how do I go back from 3.0 to 2.5?

(Wait a minute! "Back from 3.0 to 2.5"... Now, this does ring a bell, doesn't it. History repeats itself... *lol*)

;)

UPDATE: Why, you little...?! You're not gonne believe this: suddenly my regular SD card was on the go again, even the downgrade to 2.5 worked - only to produce a permanent "card i/o error - format fatxx". Now, what does this mean? The card I've been using for years now had been formatted in FAT, no hassle for all those years. Now everything went haywire.

Will give up now and put the Atari back on its shelf. For now.

Edited by Zzalg_Repus

On the SD Card's root directory, you'll see the "SIO2SD.CFG" file. Rename it to "SIO_2SD.CFG" (too keep as a reference or just delete). Then pop the SD Card back into the Sio2SD and boot your A8...

That's it. Thanks a lot, Jay! :thumbsup:

Now, does anyone have a recommendation as to which firmware version to use? The latest 3.0 seems a bit buggy.