IGNORED

Strange Atari ST error

Hi to all, I just bought my first Atari, it came from UK to Portugal (Troika land :thumbsdown: ). When I turned it on the first screen was like that boot_Atari.jpg After boot, the desktop came like this: Desktop_atari.jpg all messed up and barely reading the options presented. I need some help from the ST Gurus to solve this... I spend 80€ on this and now it is just a pile of junk.

Many thanks to anyone that can give me a hint to solve this,

Jorge

Hi to all, I just bought my first Atari, it came from UK to Portugal (Troika land :thumbsdown: ). When I turned it on the first screen was like that boot_Atari.jpg After boot, the desktop came like this: Desktop_atari.jpg all messed up and barely reading the options presented. I need some help from the ST Gurus to solve this... I spend 80€ on this and now it is just a pile of junk.

Jorge

Boas, é bom ver mais um Português por aqui. somos poucos... mas não percebi a necessidade da referência à troika :P

Quanto ao Atari, as sugestões dadas são boas e abrir, limpar e certificar que está tudo no sitio e bem encaixado. são maquinas de guerra.

Estou um bocado surpreendido quanto ao custo, normalmente compram-se STs normais no eBay por bem menos de 80€....

Boas, este veio com 2.5 Mb de Ram, joystick, e umas 20 disketes. Além disso os 80€ já reflectem os portes. O Atari está mesmo como novo. A referencia á troika foi mesmo pq me apeteceu

Jorge

Boas, é bom ver mais um Português por aqui. somos poucos... mas não percebi a necessidade da referência à troika :P

Quanto ao Atari, as sugestões dadas são boas e abrir, limpar e certificar que está tudo no sitio e bem encaixado. são maquinas de guerra.

Estou um bocado surpreendido quanto ao custo, normalmente compram-se STs normais no eBay por bem menos de 80€....

Eu experimentava tirar o meio mega e ficar "só" com dois megabytes.

são extremamente raras as aplicações que obrigavam a mais de 1MB de RAM e muito poucas as que não obrigando, tiravam partido da memória extra. E isto para software profissional, tipo Calamus ou programas de música.

0.5MB pode ser limitativo para alguns (poucos) jogos, mas 1MB chega perfeitamente... o que pode acontecer, caso seja um STfm é que a expansao de memoria é soldada e não permite mudanças... aí será mais complicado de resolver.

(para que não haja comentários dos restantes foristas, vou passar para ingles)

Checking inside if everything is in place and properly seated is a good first step.

Then, check which type of memory upgrade it has and if it´s modular or soldered.

more information about which type of ST will also help others to give better answers... :)

Yesterday, I opened the atari but didn't removed the shield, I saw 4 slots near the power supply, the top two with what I think that is the memory upgrade, the cards were glued in the right side, near edge of case

Eu experimentava tirar o meio mega e ficar "só" com dois megabytes.

são extremamente raras as aplicações que obrigavam a mais de 1MB de RAM e muito poucas as que não obrigando, tiravam partido da memória extra. E isto para software profissional, tipo Calamus ou programas de música.

0.5MB pode ser limitativo para alguns (poucos) jogos, mas 1MB chega perfeitamente... o que pode acontecer, caso seja um STfm é que a expansao de memoria é soldada e não permite mudanças... aí será mais complicado de resolver.

(para que não haja comentários dos restantes foristas, vou passar para ingles)

Checking inside if everything is in place and properly seated is a good first step.

Then, check which type of memory upgrade it has and if it´s modular or soldered.

more information about which type of ST will also help others to give better answers... :)

funnily enough - this happened to my ST once - mind you I was punching the back of it trying to get my disk drive to work again, but a few good punches later, disk drive was working again, and once it had been reset a couple of times the screen was ok - cool! More luck than technical ability I'd say!

• 2 weeks later...

Although the 4 inch drop was a common fix 'back in the day', dropping 20+ year old machines like that now is likely to cause more problems than it fixes. Open it up and carefully reseat the socketed chips.

This.

Also, whenever you used to see the "drop" mentioned, they never seemed to stress the fact that you'd need the machine to be perfectly parallel to the impact surface, so it landed squarely, all at once. This would not be easy to do. One corner hitting first would be most likely, and then all kinds of stresses and gyrations that I would imagine could further loosen chips. You'd need a perfectly-square impact, for the inertia of the lightweight chips to theoretically drive themselves deeper into their restrictive sockets, wouldn't you?

edit: Not to mention they never differentiated this procedure between early 520ST with no disk drive built-in, and all the other machines where you'd be likely to wreck the internal floppy drive, subjecting it to such force.

Edited by wood_jl