IGNORED

pokemon on GC

Cmtz

http://www.gamers.com/news/1292630/

Breaking: Pokemon Headed for GameCube

By: John Ricciardi January 3, 2003 12:45 AM PST

According to Japanese newspaper Nihon Keizai Shimbun, Nintendo is planning to release a GameCube version of its child-hypnotizing, cash-sucking RPG series, Pokemon, in Japan before this summer.

Details are still scarce on this as-of-yet untitled game (we'll call it Pokemon GC from here on out), but the newspaper did release two very important points, which we've kindly laid out for you below (cash-conscious parents, sit down before you read the second one):

1) Pokemon GC will retail for less than the cost of a standard first party Game Boy Advance game (4,800 yen, or about $40).

2) Pokemon GC will only operate when coupled with a Game Boy Advance and one of the two upcoming GBA Pokemon games (Ruby and Sapphire, both due out in March in the U.S.).

While Nintendo has been keen to incorporate connectivity features in its GC and GBA games in the past, this will be the first time they actually require gamers to own both consoles in order to play.

Judging from the info released thus far, it sounds like Pokemon GC may wind up as more of a supplementary disc for owners of the GBA games (along the lines of the N64 Pokemon Stadiums) rather than a full-on "real" RPG. Disappointing, but not at all surprising.

Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire were released in Japan on Nov. 21 and have already sold through an alarming 2.7 million copies.

Why don't they use the money to make a diffrent game like another Mario or Metroid.

Ummmm, they just did. Both Super Mario Sunshine and Metroid Prime are less than six months old. And the next Mario game has already been announced: Super Mario 128.

And why be sick of Pokemon now? The fad is over, so they aren't nearly as omnipresent as they used to be and the games have always been of the highest quality.

The original Pokemon game is one of the deepest RPGs ever released for any system, let alone a hand-held. It's various incarnations have all built upon what works in the original, while keeping the gameplay and presentation fresh.

The Pokemon Stadium games, while lacking depth at the core have a great deal of longevity with the many mini-games and play modes.

Pokemon Trading Card Game is a decent hybrid of the RPG original and the card game it inspired.

Pokemon Puzzle League, although merely Tetris Attack with new clothes, is one of the best console puzzlers of recent years. Far more deep and challenging than The New Tetris.

Pokemon Snap is exactly what people always claim they want but don't often buy (although it was a success). It is a truly original game with just about the oddest basic goal of any game I've played. All that said, it's great fun and has loads of secrets to find and goals to reach.

In fact, the only really bad Pokemon game I can think of is Hey You, Pikachu!. While it's microphone set-up was innovative (the Japanese original preceded Seaman for the Dreamcast) by the time it came to the US the graphics were dated (and Seaman had seen a US release to boot). Also, the gameplay was rather flat, given that Pkachu didn't really understand a lot of words and the goals and rewards were not really satisfying. And I say this knowing it was designed for small children. The small children I know (my 7-year-old niece and 5-year-old nephew) didn't like it much either.

All told, Pokemon has one of the better track records of any video game series and I look forward to the GBA and GCN incarnations.

After that the police brought me home. I hope I never see such a sight again.

hear hear. Pokemon snap was pretty cool.

Hmm,...can't help but have reservations about ruby and sapphire though.

The only problem with the original games is that the adventure wasn't long enough. You remember the feeling, chasing around in grass after dull Pokemon months after you actually finished the game proper? dull.

All they seem to be doing in the new ones is adding MORE pokemon, the battling was the dullest bit - a useful means to an end but never an end in itself. Stadium bored me rigid.

hear hear. Pokemon snap was pretty cool.

Hmm,...can't help but have reservations about ruby and sapphire though.

The only problem with the original games is that the adventure wasn't long enough. You remember the feeling, chasing around in grass after dull Pokemon months after you actually finished the game proper? dull.

All they seem to be doing in the new ones is adding MORE pokemon, the battling was the dullest bit - a useful means to an end but never an end in itself. Stadium bored me rigid.

Well not only have they added more pokemon, but they added a new battle system...2 on 2 fighting. Pokemon's strategy has always been a strong suit of the series, and behold, they just made it better. Pokemon's like a fighting game...it's meant to play against other people ;p

I just think pokemon isn't as fun as it used to be. I LOVED playing it, when the first red and blue was released. I couldn't set my gameboy down for even a second. I was like addicted to it, then after I beat both red and blue totally with all 150 on both games, I just quit. I never played it again. Then they released the gold and silver games, I bought gold, and played for a few weeks, then it got old and I just stopped playing it. I think if they make a pokemon game for GC, they should base it on the gameboy type versions, but make it last longer, with more badges, and cities. I heard from somewhere that they were making a pokemon game like mario party, its probably just a rumor though.

Ugh... Nintendo finally gets the idea, but screws it up entirely.

I've always thought that if the N64 had had a real Pokemon game (Not this Pokemon Snap or Stadium garbage, but an actual RPG collecting game), then the N64 would have done much better. I have the same opinion for the GameCube, and I'm sure if they released a real Pokemon game for the system, then it would instantly boost it's sales. However, this GC+GBA junk is ridiculous... it's just a cash grab to force idiots into buying both systems when they shouldn't have to. I hope this game is a huge failure just to teach Nintendo a lesson about this kind of crap... unfortunately, anything with the Pokemon name on it seems to be an instant success, so my wish is unlikely to be granted...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Pokemon fan... but I'd like to see Nintendo succeed, and they need this franchise to do that.

--Zero

(edit - GC+GBA stuff is a good idea, but requiring it is what I'm against)