IGNORED

Choplifter versions?

Vandal968

I've loved the game Choplifter since I was 12. I'm pretty proficient (best score of 59). The weird thing is that I got a copy of it on cartridge today and it's DIFFERENT! The one that I played as a kid, and that I've been playing recently on SIO2SD, has ugly magenta/cyan artifacted graphics, and the title screen has the world "CHOPLIFTER" splashed across it three times at varying angles. The version I got today on cartridge has vibrant Red/Blue graphics and the Title has a scrolling rainbow effect and only a single word "CHOPLIFTER". I never knew that there were different versions of this game, did you guys? Also, how did they manage real color graphics? I thought that this game just used mode 8 artifacted colors.

v

The one that I played as a kid, and that I've been playing recently on SIO2SD, has ugly magenta/cyan artifacted graphics, and the title screen has the world "CHOPLIFTER" splashed across it three times at varying angles. The version I got today on cartridge has vibrant Red/Blue graphics and the Title has a scrolling rainbow effect and only a single word "CHOPLIFTER".

Yup, these are the differences between the 1982 disk release and the 1982 cartridge release (also note lack of the moon). AFAIR the end ("success") screen is also different - on the disk version you get the Broderbund 3-crown logo, and on the cart you get the rainbow CONGRATULATIONS text.

Also, how did they manage real color graphics? I thought that this game just used mode 8 artifacted colors.

It uses artifacted colours together with coloured background.

Edited by Kr0tki
  • Like 1

Sounds like the Broderbund cart, the title is one word, red and white and in game are true colours as described..

The title of the game file is normally Choplifter! The extra !

yeah, i was gonna say. I have the cart version that i bought back in the early 80's, and my title screen is the 1 Choplifer! title in rainbow colors, as i recall

Sounds like the Broderbund cart, the title is one word, red and white and in game are true colours as described..

yeah, i was gonna say. I have the cart version that i bought back in the early 80's, and my title screen is the 1 Choplifer! title in rainbow colors, as i recall

If one of our master programmers could take the cart version and add the moon, it would be the ultimate version of this game. Oh yeah, and make it so it doesn't bog down when there are too many objects on the screen at once. I used to think that it was charming until I realized that the Apple version doesn't do this. WTF?

cheers,

v

Not sure about the rainbow colours bit..Mines just red & white in streaks..

totally! i cant tell you how many times i'd end up dieing because 2 jets would pop on screen and slow the game to a crawl, throwing off my moves! :x

If one of our master programmers could take the cart version and add the moon, it would be the ultimate version of this game. Oh yeah, and make it so it doesn't bog down when there are too many objects on the screen at once. I used to think that it was charming until I realized that the Apple version doesn't do this. WTF?

cheers,

v

Hmm.

It would appear there are at least 3 different A8 versions. I also own a Broderbund cartridge with rainbow-effect intro logo.

Then there's the more common monochrome criss-cross logo version.

And finally, the Red and White striped logo of the 1988 Atari XE version.

Image attached, showing the three version I'm currently aware of.

post-25357-0-32498600-1314543594_thumb.jpg

Edited by UKRetrogamer
  • Like 1

Thanks for the illuminating pictures UKRetrogamer. The bright blue background of the XE version is a bit much, but I suppose it also has night missions. Quite impressive though the coloring and texturing of the helicopter in that one. The simplified appearance of the helicopter in the original has a certain retro charm, too.

TiN[]BoX

• 7 years later...

Hmm.

It would appear there are at least 3 different A8 versions. I also own a Broderbund cartridge with rainbow-effect intro logo.

Then there's the more common monochrome criss-cross logo version.

And finally, the Red and White striped logo of the 1988 Atari XE version.

Image attached, showing the three version I'm currently aware of.

Reviving an old thread, I know...For the 1982 cartridge version, there are two different label variants. Any idea if these label variations correspond to different gameplay versions? Obviously we can take the XE version out of the picture, because that is easy to differentiate from. Pics of labels below.

post-47330-0-46342800-1543445850_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure all the carts have the same version on them -- with the simpler title screen, shown at the top of those screenshots.

The other Broderbund title screen -- second screenshot, with the overlapping logos -- is just from the disk version (and seen in the many XEX versions, that were converted from the disk version).

I'm pretty sure all the carts have the same version on them -- with the simpler title screen, shown at the top of those screenshots.

The other Broderbund title screen -- second screenshot, with the overlapping logos -- is just from the disk version (and seen in the many XEX versions, that were converted from the disk version).

Good stuff. That's good to know - thanks!

I wrote about the defective cartridge with the incorrect pcb finger length version before..

I'd like to hear about this too. I did a couple searches on the forums and didn't see anything.

I've owned copies of the game with both label variations. I didn't have problems with either of them.

The "rainbow color" version is the cartridge version, looks the same on the 800 or 5200. I assume any XEX or disk version of that one is a "Glenn the 5200 man" production or a cart rip, since I've booted all archived original disk versions and they are all the overlapped artifact-color title screen version.

Edited by R.Cade