IGNORED

Choplifter versions?

Vandal968

Here's another post where the mono version crops up, I think a lot of people are confusing the artifacting of the mono and color disk versions and thinking they are the same. The moon makes a lot more sense in the mono version, they seem identical except for the dli which makes me think the colour version is a slightly later version or something. 

Edited by Mr Robot

11 minutes ago, MrFish said:

IDK if it was mentioned here yet (lazy to read), but there's also the Antic E (4 color, 160 pixel width) version of it; which I imagine is a typical hack to get color on PAL systems.

Not seen any mention of that one here yet. Every version I have that is labelled as colour is either the XE cart or the colour disk version.

Now that I've played it a little, I'm pretty sure I've seen this black-background version before. It looks alright, except they should have at least made the ground some color other than black. Based on the above infos, I'm pretty sure this not any official version, and just a hack.

I'm sure the Antic E version is just a hack too.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

Not seen any mention of that one here yet. Every version I have that is labelled as colour is either the XE cart or the colour disk version.

I found it in the Holmes archive.

Typical hack, like the one for Lode Runner, Drol, etc., where they just change the display list from Antic F to Antic E. There's never any graphical edits done to them; so, there's always some odd color artifacts (where the originals aren't using one of the 3 playfield artifacts explicitly).

anticE.thumb.png.ee3f508bfb27b7aad67526369a7c79f8.png

anticE(1).thumb.png.c7b65e22735a3a0cec8928c0e0b0bf76.png

anticE(2).thumb.png.fd5bb789f97b35a23dda2fda44944917.png

Choplifter (Broderbund, Color).atr

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, MrFish said:

Now that I've played it a little, I'm pretty sure I've seen this black-background version before. It looks alright, except they should have at least made the ground some color other than black. Based on the above infos, I'm pretty sure this not any official version, and just a hack.

There is no original for this B&W version, even when there are multiple original Broderbund releases. Most likely a hack.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ijor said:

There is no original for this B&W version

Yeah, no origins from any proper commercial source; the version just exists. If someone was trying to get it looking like the original Apple II version, they should have made the ground with some background color; because the Apple II version has a background color for the ground.