IGNORED

Best 2600 emulator

Stunt_Cycle_Rules!

The only way to find out is to try them. But I need to point out that Z26 is regarded as the FASTEST 2600 emulator with sound (A26 is slightly faster, but no sound)...so switching emulators probably won't help you much.

On a 486, are we? Me too. Mine is a 5-stepper, which means that Z26 is even slower on mine :sad: No directX, either.

AuthenticAMD X86 family 4 model 15 stepping processor. It claims that it's 133mhz, but it's almost completely Intel-incompatable (which means that anything calling Pentium-class instructions usually run very slow...if at all). My sister's using a P2 desktop @ 200mhz upstairs. I'm tempted just to unplug the CPU and swap it out with a 66mhz 486DX2. Seems that I had better luck with that one.

Every time I ask this, NO ONE says anything.. so I'll ask again. In my experience, the sound in stella totally sucked balls (i.e. does a horrible job of emulation the 2600's sounds on the pc).. does anyone else notice this or is it my pc?.. :?

I've generally had good luck with the sound in StellaX running in Windows 2000. I imagine the sound is better still in z26, but I don't get any sound in Windows 2000 when running it (and I haven't even attempted to get that to work, if it's even possible). StellaX is very unstable for me, and crashes often when exiting a game. I haven't used PCAE very much, but I very much like it's ability to record movies from games (which will become very useful on AA pretty soon). I have not played around with CyberStella too much yet. I know a new version of Stella (1.3) is due to be out soon, so perhaps this will spur some updates of the Windows (and Mac) versions. :)

I think z26 is the most accurate 2600 emulator, and I am looking forward to a Windows version someday. It is also updated the most quickly of all the 2600 emulators when new games that break existing emulators come out.

..Al

Every time I ask this, NO ONE says anything.. so I'll ask again. In my experience, the sound in stella totally sucked balls (i.e. does a horrible job of emulation the 2600's sounds on the pc).. does anyone else notice this or is it my pc?.. :?

I aggree with you.

I have used Stella many times, and the sound is awful. Ms.Pacman is one of my favorite games, and it just sounded sad on Stella. Heck, some sounds were missing altogether. I ended up finally buying Ms.Pacman to replace my dead cart after years of searching!

Unfortunatly, I haven't had much luck getting other emu's like Z26 to work for me on my P3-650/Win2K box. :(

You can tweak z26 by using the -e switch, which enables faster 32 bit graphics routines.

Selecting a different (less lines!) video mode with -v or inside the game helps too.

And you can tell the emulator where to start scanning with -u. But you have to try to find the highest value (~50) for each game.

When running under NT, 2000, XP you should increase the framerate with -f until it's fast enough. Some say -f120 works good.

Will any of that help with the sound Thomas? I have a fairly new Compaq at home running XP. z26 works, but the sound is messed up. Actually the sound of the game is fine...But there is a constant *clicking* noise in the background that is very annoying. When I run Stella...There in no sound at all.

Will any of that help with the sound Thomas? I have a fairly new Compaq at home running XP. z26 works, but the sound is messed up. Actually the sound of the game is fine...But there is a constant *clicking* noise in the background that is very annoying. When I run Stella...There in no sound at all.

I have a similar problem very, very occaisionally running z26 in Win ME where I'll get an intermittent static sound (it's not regular click-click-click or anything, just occaisional "bursts" of static. Like listening to a Walkman on a set of headphones which are going bad). I haven't really looked into it because it happens so rarely, but my impression is that it ocurs when I have a bunch of other windows open and running.

Try loading it with only a minimum other processes running and see if it helps (including virus shields or whatever else you may have running in the background)...

(hey, worth a try)

Chris...

@Stunt Cycle:

Hey, hey. I am currently using the Z26. Some of the games lag real bad.  

I use Z26 with a PIII and W98se and it works fine with all games, Full speed, great sound, I heard before some static when I was using the built in sound card in my puter but later I installed a Yamaha soundcard and the sound is crystal clear now.

Is there any better emulator out there?  

If you're using a PC then Z26 it's your best choice (by far). Tell us more about the specs and configuration of your system and we might be able to find out what's wrong, but i would point the blaming finger on the CPU speed or your OS config.

I use winXP and use three emulators every day... CyberStella, PCAE and Z26.

Z26 runs really slow for me too... I'm not sure why. However it is the only emulator that will show you a scan line count (-v9) and that is invaluable to me as a homebrew author. It also has a trace feature which can be usefull in debugging. For just "playing" games I do not use Z26. Z26 also takes the best in-game screen shots IMO.

CyberStella is one of the better emulators... It's fast, runs in Windows, full sound support, however the Stella engine will run games with 300+ scanlines and not have a problem... whereas a real TV would crap out... I'm not quite sure why CyberStella supports that, but as a homebrew author I can't trust it to give me reliable results.

PCAEWin is the emulator I use every day... It plays small, in windows. You can stop your game and do other things, and then return and continue where you left off. It has a built in debugger... which doesn't work for the most part, but it does let you look at and modify the RAM and TIA areas. It also has full screen capabilities. And the best feature, you can make AVI movies of your game play for record submission. The screen shot quality is not very good from PCAE... It's supposed online play capabilities do not work. And the colors it shows are a bit off, but otherwise this is the best choice. For WinXP that is.

PCAEWin is the emulator I use every day... It plays small, in windows.

I would probably use it except I can't figure out how to get it to work with a MS Sidewinder...

Strange, but 2600 emulator interfaces aren't up to snuff with some of the other emus like Handy, Atari800Win, STeem, or even Proj. Tempest.

Z26 -- it seems to run fine at home, on a 1GHZ PIII running Windows ME.  However it really dogs at work, on a similar PC w/Windows NT. go figure.

:idea: Since z26 is DOS based it runs quite well on DOS based OS like Win95, 98 and ME. NT based systems like NT, 2000 and XP don't have a very good DOS emulation. But increasing the framerate (e.g. -f120) might help.