IGNORED

Lets talk about mode 7 style graphics (snes) for the 2600

grafixbmp

With the scrolling circles, what if they were expanded to 2x sprites and then there would be more implied resolution when it is skewed by down to single color clocks for more detailed circles.

And I know you would have your own way of coding the system, but this is sorta what I thought about before

Perhaps a lookup table listing out the smooth skewing say to the 4th-8th scanline. then this way there could be multiple stacked skewed linear vectors that can flex as if they were strait lines when you race through the track. Like only the patterns that give an evenly distributed skewed strait line. Then as a section drops down the screen, the skew vector could be changed and therefore animate/flex across the screen, implying 2D flat terain viewed from a 3D perspective.

(I'm in a hurry right now)

I've now tried to scale the circles progressively by removing a single line each time the circle shrinks. This is done at a variable frequency. As an alternative, I could flicker between two versions of the circle. (like when it goes up, from a 11 line height circle to a 10 line height circle, I could flicker between them. 'Flicker' does sound bad, but it this case it does look really good you are in motion.

scaling_circles2.bin

besides, that's like saying pole position didn't need the red/white road boarders either.

This is some pseudo-3d with 90 degrees turns:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kket83oo0OA

I remember Cisco Heat,it does not start to badly but after a minute or so it feels like your driving along a road through an earth quake with the distant buildings and trees swaying left-right.I cannot see how it could be done without just 2 frames flickering faster or slower.

Edited by R.O.T.S

Every test here shows that it can be faked so well that racing games (and such) could not only be 2 player with this perspective but could play smoother than most racing games thus far. Excellent work. I take it the PF pixels aren't even being used?

Thanks!

The routine could also be used to create good looking curvestones.

The PF pixels aren't used yet. Those are always a bit hard, especially the assymetrical ones. But for example, the first kernel I posted with only horizontal lines, could be modified so it displays horizontal lines + playfield pixels within that line. That way it doesn't have to update the pf pixels all the time.

Right now the road is drawn by 10 kernels so it is really straightforward:

LDX LINE0
LDA COLOR_A
STA COLUBK
LOOP_LINE_0
STA WSYNC
DEX
BPL LOOP_LINE_0

LDX LINE1
LDA COLOR_B
STA COLUBK
LOOP_LINE_1
STA WSYNC
DEX
BPL LOOP_LINE_1

LDX LINE2
LDA COLOR_A
STA COLUBK
LOOP_LINE_2
STA WSYNC
DEX
BPL LOOP_LINE_2

LDX LINE3
LDA COLOR_B
STA COLUBK
LOOP_LINE_3
STA WSYNC
DEX
BPL LOOP_LINE_3

LDX LINE4
LDA COLOR_A
STA COLUBK
LOOP_LINE_4
STA WSYNC
DEX
BPL LOOP_LINE_4

LDX LINE5
LDA COLOR_B
STA COLUBK
LOOP_LINE_5
STA WSYNC
DEX
BPL LOOP_LINE_5

LDX LINE6
LDA COLOR_A
STA COLUBK
LOOP_LINE_6
STA WSYNC
DEX
BPL LOOP_LINE_6

LDX LINE7
LDA COLOR_B
STA COLUBK
LOOP_LINE_7
STA WSYNC
DEX
BPL LOOP_LINE_7

LDX LINE8
LDA COLOR_A
STA COLUBK
LOOP_LINE_8
STA WSYNC
DEX
BPL LOOP_LINE_8

LDY LINE9
LDA COLOR_B
STA COLUBK
LOOP_LINE_9
STA WSYNC
DEY
BPL LOOP_LINE_9

LDY LINE10
LDA COLOR_A
STA COLUBK
LOOP_LINE_10
STA WSYNC
DEY
BPL LOOP_LINE_10

Edited by roland p

that last one was the highlight of my day. I ran it and played with it for about 10 min. I was fiddlin with how atari skewing works today before I even saw your post. I bet there are several people wouldn't be able to beileve this was running on an atari. It just looks that good.