IGNORED

Magnum ST Board

2 quick questions - does anyone know if this board, which plugs into the 68k CPU

socket and sports its own 68000, will work with an accelerator like the Adspeed

or Txx series?

Also, does anyone have pics or how big it is? Would it fit into a STacy? I already

kind of doubt that, but just asking...

Thanks gang!

I know that Magnum works nice with the HBS. In the photos are Magnum card, HBS accelerator and FPU daughter board. It is nice sandwich, isn't it? ;)

Hi. Thanks for the excellent photo's - much appreciated.

Hmm, does the HBS accelerator plug into the 68000 socket like an Adspeed does, or is it an accelerator designed just for

the Magnum ST card?

As hard as the Magnums ST is to find, I bet the FPU daughter card is really impossible to find these days.

Just looking at it, it looks highly unlikely that it would fit in a STacy... :(

And yes, it makes a great Ham and cheese on Rye... :D

Does a Mega ST play 520ST,1040ST games? Does it use the same monitor as a 1040ST?

Are they really hard to get? Sorry, to hijack the thread. Just wondering.... :P

Yes, pretty much. What games break on the Mega ST is what games break when going

between different TOS versions. Early modesl of the Mega ST came with TOS 1.02,

and later models came with TOS 1.04.

Yes, they have the exact same connections on the backplane of the machine so they

can use the Atari SC1224 or the mono monitor.

What makes the Mega ST nice is that, except for very early production models, they

camw with 2 or 4 megs of RAM stock, Blitter chip, internal fan, internal expansion

port, separate case and keyboard. The keyboard is probably the best of the ST's. Note

they do not have a modulator for TVs.

You can catch them every now and then on Ebay - that's where I'd start if I wanted

one.

HTHs.

Ok - what does this Magnum board do for a Mega ST? Allow you the ability to insert 16mb of RAM? Anything else?

They still avilable and at what price?

Right, it allows for 16 megs of RAM (not sure how much is actually usable though, either 10 or 14?), and it also

comes with TOS 2.06, as well as allowing for an FPU daughterboard.

As far as I know, they are no longer made. Its just whenever you can find one, unfortunately.

Right, it allows for 16 megs of RAM (not sure how much is actually usable though, either 10 or 14?), and it also

As far as I know, they are no longer made. Its just whenever you can find one, unfortunately.

There are max 14 MB of RAM usable. So you can have 4 MB ST RAM + max 10 of TT RAM on Magnum (with 16MB SIMM). It is the same amount of memory as on Falcon. BTW my friend is running MiNT on this machine and it is very fine.

There are schematics and JEDEC files for the Magnum cards for all ST/MEGA/TT. So I think it is possible to make a run. But the question is who is able to make it. I would love to have Magnum for my MEGA STE :)

The HBS is mounted directly to CPU socket. FPU board in the photo is designed for the HBS. But I remember there is also board for MEGA ST from Atari.

Edited by krupkaj
  • Like 1

There are max 14 MB of RAM usable. So you can have 4 MB ST RAM + max 10 of TT RAM on Magnum (with 16MB SIMM). It is the same amount of memory as on Falcon. BTW my friend is running MiNT on this machine and it is very fine.

There are schematics and JEDEC files for the Magnum cards for all ST/MEGA/TT. So I think it is possible to make a run. But the question is who is able to make it. I would love to have Magnum for my MEGA STE :)

The HBS is mounted directly to CPU socket. FPU board in the photo is designed for the HBS. But I remember there is also board for MEGA ST from Atari.

Figured the memory layout was something like that - its all got to do with what physical memory can actually be addressed, right? Nice to know that the extra RAM is TT RAM.

Yes, I too would love to see someone make a run of these - I bet there would be enough interest!

Okay, sorry if I'm being dense here, but just to be totally clear, the HBS mounts directly onto the CPU socket of the Mega ST, or the Magnum ST board itself. I'm assuming the Magnum Board itself.

Thanks for all the info - greatly appreciated! :)

Magnum is just fast RAM. It does not contain new CPU. Normally it is mounted in the socket on the ST mainboard insted of CPU. And the old CPU goes into socket on the Magnum.

ST version has also sockets for TOS 2.6 because it is necessary for fast RAM access.

The HBS contains new 68000 CPU in PLCC with caches. You can see the HBS's CPU under the FPU board.

In the photos the HBS is mounted onto the CPU socket on Magnum instead the old CPU. And of course it is possible to use it without the Magnum.

BTW here is the documentation http://www.uweschneider.de/Download.php?lang=en

Edited by krupkaj

Magnum is just fast RAM. It does not contain new CPU. Normally it is mounted in the socket on the ST mainboard insted of CPU. And the old CPU goes into socket on the Magnum.

ST version has also sockets for TOS 2.6 because it is necessary for fast RAM access.

The HBS contains new 68000 CPU in PLCC with caches. You can see the HBS's CPU under the FPU board.

In the photos the HBS is mounted onto the CPU socket on Magnum instead the old CPU. And of course it is possible to use it without the Magnum.

BTW here is the documentation http://www.uweschneider.de/Download.php?lang=en

Okay, thanks! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Making a run will be both difficult and easy. :) the easy part is don't make a run, make a board. Seems a lot less trouble than the logistics of a group buy on a small PCB run... Especially on a board that looks to be around 9 square inches. Pricey!

A PCB run will require PCB artwork files, such a Eagle files, etc. I do not see these. Pcb artwork could be recreated from the schematic however. Hard part is learning Eagle just for the sake of this project. Much easier to find someone who knows this, or will trade for other work or beer. A buddy who knows Eagle needs the schematic, and needs to know some of the layout hints used in the original. Resulting PCB artwork does not need to 100% match the original art wise... Just needs to be same circuit.

PCB could also be re-drawn by some patient person who just tried to draw the traces on a current PCB into graphics software (hard part is both having one of these boards in possession, taking picture, and using bitmap as a template to draw the PCB). Doable. Seems more work to me than finding the guy who can draw it in Eagle in exchange for some work you can do.

I strongly encourage folks to look into the 'Maker' community, Make Magazine, Adafruit, etc. You can learn how to etch a PCB at a workshop or at home. That doesn't mean our have to learn how to design PCBs (if you do not want to...).

...there is a HUGE 'open source hardware' movement, and I think every one of us should take a look and see what parts we are interested in, or are interested in growing into.

It's not possible to learn every discipline and still get things done. (I'd like to learn Eagle, but not enough time to do it just yet... I'd rather get my hands soldering and making a board from someone else's artwork).

I'll be attending a PCB etching workshop as soon as our local Maker club sets a class date. (if it takes too long, I will just try it... There's loads of YouTube tutorials).

I'll stop now.. Off topic a bit. But not really. Maker clubs are something everyone should at least be aware of. If I find someone at the local club who would make me a pcb of some circuit, if they're not interested in just doing it then I could trade them something else... labor on their project, or some of my bottled home brew beer. :)

Well, I wouldn't mind having one, just for the sake of having one, but...I had originally hoped that it would be small enough to fit into my STacy so I could run MINT on it. After looking at the pics, and per some conversations with users who have actually owned one, I don't think its gonna happen. Just too big for the very limited space in a STacy.

and beer (especially bottled home brew beer) is proof that God loves us. :)

To fit a Magnum ST card into a STacy you need to move some things into the batteries' place taking those out.

I'm referring to a sentence I read in DOIT or Chips'n'Chips or something.

While you're at it you might want to drop a PAK3 into it as well. :D

To fit a Magnum ST card into a STacy you need to move some things into the batteries' place taking those out.

I'm referring to a sentence I read in DOIT or Chips'n'Chips or something.

While you're at it you might want to drop a PAK3 into it as well. :D

Hey Jens! Yeah, seems like a lot of things you can put in the STacy requires that darned internal P/S board to be moved. :)

Heh, a PAK would be nice - about as hard to find as the Magnum board, if not harder (and expensive).