IGNORED

Best Jaguar titles?

Hank

my love for the Jag makes me enjoy every game, even the bad ones :)

but if you're just lookin to get the best of the batch i recommend:

SKYHAMMER

Alien vs Predator

Doom

Wolfenstein 3D

Rayman

Tempest 2000

Battlemorph CD

Highlander CD

Zero 5

PitFall

Iron Soldier

Iron Soldier 2 Cart Or CD, but mainly CD

Hyper Force

Cannon Fodder

Atari Karts

FlashBack

Ultra Vortek

World Tour Racing CD

Val D'Isere Skiing and Snowboarding

Super Burnout

those in my view are some definite must haves - of course there are others i really love, and the whole collection is worth it :D

Since JagHammer listed so damn many, I probably can't add to the list... but here's what I play most often:

Alien Vs. Predator

Tempest 2000

Defender 2000

Battlemorph (CD)

Rayman

Wolfenstein 3D (Definitely the best Wolfenstein in history, not counting RTCW. Huge upgrade over PC version)

Power Drive Rally

Raiden

I also have to say that the following titles are (In my opinion) overrated:

Ultra Vortek (Good graphics, but has a very odd feel to it that makes it difficult to play)

Atari Karts (Definitely rushed to market, and lacks a lot of things that Super Mario Kart excels with, like attacking items and a battle mode. Atari Karts has nice hills, but the game is a little bland without the aforementioned features. Still a fun game, but limited)

Doom (It's actually a fairly good conversion, and it's worth having... but if you have any other "next gen" systems, then you have better versions of the game available)

Iron Soldier (I think I'm probably the only one who didn't like this game, but it just seemed too slow and boring to me)

Cannon Fodder (Way too f*cking hard. I don't swear often, but this is a game I can't describe without at least one swear)

Of course, all this is my opinion. Many people think Iron Soldier is the best thing since sliced bread, and you might too.

--Zero

There can be only one ! :twisted:

Tempest 2000

I'd like to second this statement. I bought a Jaguar when they first came out, and wasn't terribly impressed with the pack-in game Cybermorph. Tempest 2000 more than made up for Cybermorph and some of other other lackluster titles I spent my money on (like Trevor McFur!) But after Tempest, titles continued to trickle out very slowly--we're talking months at a time between releases (at least that's what it seemed, I don't remember exactly now). I eventually sold the Jaguar without acquiring many more titles, and it wasn't until more recently (in the last two years) that I started collecting for it. I really need to sit down and enjoy some of the better titles, although Tempest 2000 seems to get played the most every time I hook up my Jag. :)

..Al

Hover Strike was a great game... except for the framerate. If it ran about 5 fps faster, it would have been beautiful, but as it is, it's a little rough to play (Still decent though).

I remember reading reviews that kept complaining about bad controls... did no one ever notice that you're controlling a hovercraft?? Christ people, it's not supposed to stop on a dime!

--Zero

Hover Strike was a great game... except for the framerate. If it ran about 5 fps faster, it would have been beautiful, but as it is, it's a little rough to play (Still decent though).

I remember reading reviews that kept complaining about bad controls... did no one ever notice that you're controlling a hovercraft?? Christ people, it's not supposed to stop on a dime!

--Zero

LOL. Don't I know it. It's not a perfect game, but I think it got a bad rap. I love it.

Do you have the cart or cd or both? Cd has a lot of improvements and options over the cart, including a slightly faster frame-rate.

Everyone has basically put up all the best Jag games, but I would also include Syndicate. Syndicate was a big time hit on the PC and Amiga and the Jag version is just as good and with a zoom in feature as an added bonus. Cybermorph is also an excellent shooter. Cybermorph looks dated, but the gameplay is still there.

I agree with the comment that Atari Karts is bland. Nothing is really bad about Atari Karts, but the action is just kinda dull.

I find Club Dive and Kasumi Ninja extremely enjoyable games on the Jag, but most people don't enjoy them.

Do you have the cart or cd or both?

I have the CD version. It's a good game, and it's worthwhile since I'm sure it can be found cheap... but it's still not enough for me to recommend buying a JagCD unfortunately.

The FMV is quite good in the game, which is an unusual thing, since most FMV at the time was either bad acting, or poor quality... Cinepak wasn't very good either, so I was pleasantly surprised with the FMV. Battlemorph had some decent FMV too, although it got a little repetitive.

Other than the framerate, I was disappointed with the "external camera". It's a good idea, and I like a 3rd person view... but it was useless for combat purposes. I guess they intended it mostly for when you get stuck on the terrain, but it would have been nice if you could adjust it and be able to actually use it...

AtariX: Personally, I didn't like Kasumi Ninja at all. The graphics were nice, but the control was awful. Holding C to do special moves was a huge mistake. It's too bad, since this game had some potential. As for Syndicate, it was good... but without a mouse, it's a little frustrating at times (Same goes for Baldies and Theme Park.)

--Zero

Here's my definitive list of Jaguar and Jaguar CD games that are absolute "must haves":

Jaguar carts:

Tempest 2000 - Probably my favorite game of all time

Aliens vs. Predator - The best FPS available at the time

Raiden - Good arcade port, but easier (and less frustrating)

Iron Soldier - Great game, despite what anyone else says

Defender 2000 - Plasma Pong alone makes it a worthy purchase

Battlesphere Gold - One of the best games of all time, IMO

Protector SE - Best version of Defender for the Jag, SE has some very nice background graphics

JagCD:

Battlemorph - Far and away the best game for JagCD, 100X better than Cybermorph

Hover Strike: Unconquered Lands - Greatly improved over the cart version

Baldies - fun little RTS

Highlander - Worth it for the cartoon FMVs alone

Vid Grid - Much more fun than anyone thought

And now for a list of Jag titles to stay FAR AWAY from:

Air Cars - Not sure why people like spending $100+ on digital crap

White Men Can't Jump - About as much fun as watching blood coagulate

Double Dragon V - More painful than a root canal

Blue Lightning CD - I've had blisters that were more fun than this

I'm sure there's a few titles that I've left off each list, but this should give you a good idea of what to get and what to stay away from.

Air Cars - Not sure why people like spending $100+ on digital crap

heh, cuz its fun digital crap ;) I actually enjoy this game :)

Double Dragon V - More painful than a root canal

aint that the truth ;) but at least its not the worst fighting game ever made :D

Blue Lightning CD - I've had blisters that were more fun than this

now its not THAt bad, i mostly enjoyed the FMV in this game rather than the game itself, but i still thought it was OK to play, it doesnt have much of a replay value though.... :)

I've only played a few Jaguar games and here are my thoughts:

A vs. P - The Marine scenario is great.

Brutal Sports Football - I was surprised that this was an enjoyable game. There is some strategy involved and it has a nice league option.

Raiden - Good shooter with co-op option.

People who spend $100+ on Aircars are collectors. it's a rare Jaguar collectible and worth money soley based on it's rarity. But I also enjoyed the game enough to play it through three times...there are much worse Jag games and worse games in general for any system. I like Blue lightning too. I couldn't agree more on the other titles to stay away from.

Brutal Sports Football - I was surprised that this was an enjoyable game.  There is some strategy involved and it has a nice league option.

I definitely agree here. I don't like football at all, but BSF is great fun. I wouldn't really call it much of a sports game, since you don't call plays or anything... Everything is sort of spontaneous arcade action (Like NBA Jam, except with decapitations)

As for Blue Lightning, I thought it was pretty good. It doesn't push the system or anything, but I had lots of fun with it. Besides, if you get a JagCD, you'll probably end up getting this game with it.

--Zero