IGNORED

Fist Puncher

xg4bx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv3zHIJjFrM

Team2Bit is looking to return to the glory days of mashing square fists into rectangular faces. Fist Puncher features 4-player local co-op to go along with some prettty ridiculous stereotypical characters, such as the disgraced sports star looking to redeem himself and the once noble war veteran who has fallen on hard times.

“There will definitely be character progression and the ability to learn new moves. Right now there are 8 playable characters and each has a unique move set that can be expanded as you advance,” said developer Jake Lewandowski.

http://www.armlessoctopus.com/2011/09/01/kick-it-old-school-with-fist-puncher/

Thanks for the post! Somehow I never even noticed the Xbox forum here. The release date is a little unclear - we're hoping to build a little momentum and *try* to release when interest peaks. I'm also in the very early stages of a retro-ish continuous side scroller. I'm trying to pin down the "look" right now. I'll be sure to keep people posted. If people are interested, I wouldn't mind running some ideas by the readers here (since I know the AA audience is filled with seasoned gaming veterans).

Matt Kain

www.team2bit.com

Looking Good! I am a big beat-em-up fan, and am all over this one.

I like that the look is a bit Renegade, and obviously a bit Scott Pilgrim (which is obviously an amalgam of old games). Looks smooth and fun!

My favorite bits about brawlers are when there are plenty of variable combos to perform. If it's just punch, kick, and weapon things get a bit old. Thus why the first Fighting Force sucked so much, just not enough different ways to pummel thugs. :) Punch-punch-kick, Kick-kick-kick, kick-punch-kick causing different combos to happen is a big plus for me. As are jump kicks and jump punches into combos. Streets of Rage 2 and 3 had this down pat.

I'll be looking out for Fist Puncher!

My favorite bits about brawlers are when there are plenty of variable combos to perform. If it's just punch, kick, and weapon things get a bit old. Thus why the first Fighting Force sucked so much, just not enough different ways to pummel thugs. :) Punch-punch-kick, Kick-kick-kick, kick-punch-kick causing different combos to happen is a big plus for me. As are jump kicks and jump punches into combos. Streets of Rage 2 and 3 had this down pat.

Thanks for the input. It's always good to get feedback from fans of the genre. You can keep up with us on Facebook and Twitter.

Coincidentally I ended up playing quite a bit of Renegade at this year's California Extreme. Much, much harder than I remember.

Matt Kain

Great name, "Fist Puncher". What else do you punch with, your feet?!

Is it at all a reference to... "Kick Puncher", from Community?

Just checking... ;)

Oh, and as to Renegade, particularly towards the end that game is _incredibly_ hard. I had to use cheat codes on Mame to get through it and see the ending. But then, out of nowhere, recently I played it and made it through without losing a life for the first time in my whole life. Must've had just the right amount of sleep and caffeine or something. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

SWEEEEEEEET. I am more than in for this one!! Roughly when might you guess it'll show?

Particularly loved the guys eyes expressing emotions while you're beating them up! Also liked: the Hurricane Kick, the Johnny Cage esque Shadow Kick move, the spinning backfist, and the general essence of maybe Yie Ar Kung fu? Loved the animations, and throwing the Smart Car at the baddies!

I will make sure to DL this when it comes out!

SWEEEEEEEET. I am more than in for this one!! Roughly when might you guess it'll show?

Particularly loved the guys eyes expressing emotions while you're beating them up! Also liked: the Hurricane Kick, the Johnny Cage esque Shadow Kick move, the spinning backfist, and the general essence of maybe Yie Ar Kung fu? Loved the animations, and throwing the Smart Car at the baddies!

I will make sure to DL this when it comes out!

Thanks for the kind words. The first beta release is in testing now, and we're going to submit Fist Puncher to the Independent Games Festival next spring (submissions are due next week). Right now we're working out a few kinks (anyone know a game with great jump kicks?) and tightening some of the storytelling. The gameplay is most similar to Double Dragon with more storytelling and unique level design (and a 4-player mode). Yie Ar Kung-Fu would certainly count as an influence though - who doesn't love that game?

MattKain

Great name, "Fist Puncher". What else do you punch with, your feet?!

Is it at all a reference to... "Kick Puncher", from Community?

Just checking... ;)

Oh, and as to Renegade, particularly towards the end that game is _incredibly_ hard. I had to use cheat codes on Mame to get through it and see the ending. But then, out of nowhere, recently I played it and made it through without losing a life for the first time in my whole life. Must've had just the right amount of sleep and caffeine or something. ;)

Community is exactly what I thought!

I can't remember exactly how it came about, but there's a movie series that two characters in Community are big fans of (or do they make the movies? I need to crack out my DVD of season 1!) called Kick Puncher. It's sort of a Robocop Jackie Chan Toxic Avenger thing from what I can tell.

And the name happens to sound like Fist Puncher, but don't worry - it's a good reference, it will only help the attention to your game, not hurt it! :)

Oh, and if you like Parks & Rec, chances are good you'll dig Community, give it a shot. ;)

Edited by Curious Sofa