IGNORED

DVD Players: NUON Vs. XBox

goatdan

Hello all,

I've eluded to this before, and I've got a post on JI2 discussing it...

I'm trying to make a decision about what DVD player to get. I can get an XBox for $100.00 but am only interested in DOA3 at this time and am trying to stop getting so many expensive video games. My XBox line-up would have to look like this:

System (through GOAT Store) - $75

DVD Remote - $25

S-Controller - $25

DOA3 - $25

Total - $150

I really like my parents NUON, and I've already got the games and the controllers for it. All that I would need here is:

System - $80.00

Any tips on what I should go with? I'm looking toward quality the most here, and video games on a strictly secondary level. Is the XBox DVD player much better than a NUON, or would an $80.00 NUON do the same thing?

Thanks in advance!

I'm not too terribly impressed with DVD video from an Xbox, but I'm a bit picky about that sort of thing. I have a NUON and am happy with the picture. The only gripe I have with the Samsung is that it doesn't display fine gradients as well as my Sony Players.

But, the NUON has a really cool zoom function you can use while watching DVDs. That, plus T3000 and the VLM 2 make the NUON well worth picking up.

NUONs are DVD players which happen to play some games.

Xboxs are video game consoles which happen to play DVDs.

As Atari used to say - Do the Math!

Besides, since several ex Atari employees worked on the NUON project - it's sorta like a latter day Jaguar!

A little off-topic, but still relevant... can anyone comment on things like Macrovision and region encoding on the Nuon? Can it be disabled in software? Hardware?

I'm not really into copying movies, but I really hate the idea of these meaningless restrictions, so I'd disable them just out of principle if I could.

--Zero

We have the Nuon, XBox, and PS2 for DVD players and we only use the NUON for playing DVD's. The others can't compare. I'm suggesting the NUON because you said you're looking more for quality. The game selection is pretty poor for the NUON and they're hard to find (at least in our area). As a DVD player, it's awesome and I'd definitely recommend it, especially for $80. We bought it when it first came out for more than twice as much!

We have the Nuon, XBox, and PS2 for DVD players and we only use the NUON for playing DVD's. The others can't compare. I'm suggesting the NUON because you said you're looking more for quality. The game selection is pretty poor for the NUON and they're hard to find (at least in our area). As a DVD player, it's awesome and I'd definitely recommend it, especially for $80. We bought it when it first came out for more than twice as much!

Thank you! That is one of the best comparisons I've seen.

As for software, I would be just fine... the GOAT Store had all of the titles, and I picked up one of each for my parents NUON (which we bought back when it first came out.)

Since I'm going to be moving out soon and will probably do more movie watching that game playing with the future wife, I think that getting a new NUON might be right up my alley.

Do you have the N501? Is it the best of the three?

I had the Toshiba Nuon player, but I bought the Samsung N501 about 6 months ago. I sold my Toshiba to a friend of mine. I wish I had my Toshiba back. I bought the N501 for the better VLM and to be able to play homebrews. The movie playback and overall quality just seemed better on the Toshiba. The picture isn't quite as sharp on the Samsung and I notice more freeze up on my Samsung. :( I also have one DVD that won't work on my Samsung. There is also a design flaw in the N501. I have my DVD player in an entertainment center on a shelf below my TV, about knee level. When the DVD tray is open, it covers the receptor(whatever you call it :P ) for the remote and I have to bend down or put the remote below knee level to close the tray. This really bugs my wife. I also like the menu layouts of the Toshiba better. The zoom on the Toshiba also seemed clearer, where as the Samsung is more pixely. I also miss the screen capture/screen saver feature of the Toshiba. I had a picture from Blade Runner as my pause/startup/screen saver, the one where Harrison Ford is running through the city streets chasing the striper female replicant and there is the big neon Atari logo in the background. Very cool if you're an Atari fan. :D

PS- the person who said that there are no joypad ports on the Toshiba is wrong. There are two in the front, in a nice fold down compartment, not like the cheap rubber strip that covers the N501 ports. The RCA Nuon player doesn't have joypad ports. Did the RCA one ever come out?

Did the RCA one ever come out?

Yes it did, though in limited quantities it seems. It has no controller ports and the firmware doesn't support official NUON titles, but it will load homebrew stuff. The only real benefit it has over the other NUON machines is the Aries 3 processor (it runs at a higher clock speed than the others), but it's pretty useless without game/controller support.

Check out some images/movies at http://www.nuon-dome.com/rcadrc300npre.html

-Kevin

A little off-topic, but still relevant... can anyone comment on things like Macrovision and region encoding on the Nuon? Can it be disabled in software? Hardware?

I'm not really into copying movies, but I really hate the idea of these meaningless restrictions, so I'd disable them just out of principle if I could.

I'm with you -- I'm still using an old TV without AV hookups, which means my N501 gets hooked up through the VCR and puts me in Macrovision hell for most titles.

As far as I know, there's no way to disable the Macrovision or make it all-region that's verified, but using a particular model of Aiwa -- which works on some Samsung players -- might work on the N501 too. However, I've never seen this verified, and I'm not out to buy a remote just for that.

I wish someone could make a BIOS update that would remove Macrovision...

You could also buy a Macrovision killer and just hook it in between.

Never heard of that one... Are they pricey?

I probably should just buy a new TV, but I want to wait until 1) I have more room and 2) HDTV is cheaper, and go whole hog.

Hmm, maybe I should see if I can find a decent "not too big" multistandard TV so I can finally try some PAL games...