IGNORED

HSC8 Round 15: Qix & ROM

therealbountybob

OK folks as the vote remains tied (I'm still sure there is a voting conspiracy pact at play) we'll play both games. I was going to go for a raid theme but we'll do that another time. Everyone welcome to join in :)

QIX

Fantastic game, simple idea but addictive. Hold down fire to draw slowly to get double points. Split the Qix repeatedly to increase the bonus multiplier :!: [space=pause]

Atarimania has instructions and ROM atarionline.pl's v2 XEX (v2) seems to be the best as other versions (including Fandal's) seem to go screwy ATR/XEX

Bonus Points

• highest score screen 1 - in 1 man 1pt
  • highest % on single Qix screens 1pt - not open to anyone who has won a round this season.
  • highest % on split Qix screens 1pt - everyone
  • beating the (my) HSC record of 629,634 1pt ;)
  • scoring 1,000,000+ 1pt

Raid Over Moscow

erm mulit-stage commie bombing fun :?: Play on 1. 'Beginner'. On the first stage press 'space' to open the hangar door! Instructions on post #3. Press "D" on the title screen for demo mode. [Esc=pause be careful not to press 1 as this restarts game!]

Fandal has XEX atarionline.pl has ATR/XEX

Bonus Points

• Completing 'Beginner' 1pt
    If you complete beginner then go on to...
  • Completing 'Advanced' 2pts + Escaping +1pt
  • Completing 'Suicidal' :!: 3pts + Escaping +1pt

Whats that you want a bonus game... ok ;)

Fill'er Up II

Another Tom Hudson classic clone (I've played the first version and it was fun)

Fandal has XEX atarionline.pl has ATR/XEX

3pts for 1st, 2pts 2nd-5th 1pt for other places.

Games finish Tue 20th Weds 21st September 10am BST

Round 16 will be a team round :ponder: Don't forget the Special Gaming Challenges finish Nov 5th; they are pretty tough but you can earn some extra HSC points. Season 8 will finish mid Jan 2012. ;)

I'll kick off the ROM competition: 111,690!

post-9712-0-05073500-1315232081_thumb.png

Here's a quick start guide:

First screen...world view. Here, you see the Soviet launch sites on the right and the U.S. cities on the left. Once a missile launch has been detected, press the space bar to enter the space station screen.

Second screen...inside the space station. Your jet will take off. Maneuver the jet toward the hangar door. Press the space bar to open the hangar door. Be quick, though...if you take too long to get out, the doors will close on you.

Third screen...world view. If you have successfully launched a jet fighter, you need to fly that jet down to the launch site that fired the missile. Or, you can press the space bar and return to the hangar to launch another jet. Once you get your jet to the launch site, you will enter...

Fourth screen...city scene. Here, you must fly your jet to the missile silos successfully. Fly up, down, left and right to avoid buildings, trees, oncoming helicopters, enemy fire, etc. Blow up as much stuff as you can for maximum points. Destroy buildings, helicopters, enemy planes, fuel tanks. If you get shot down, you will return to the world view, where you must get another jet down to the launch site quickly. If you successfully fly through the whole scene, you will arrive at the:

Fifth screen...Missile Silos. Destroy each silo by firing a well-placed shot in the small opening of each silo. You will know if you are lined up with the opening when your jet turns pink. Be careful! Silos shoot back at you. Also, enemy planes will attack too. The overall object is to destroy the center silo, but you score extra points (and extra jets) for destroying the surrounding silos. If you're running out of time, just go for the center silo. Destroying the center silo will return you to the world view screen, where you will wait for the next enemy missile launch.

Once you have destroyed all but the last launch site, you will launch an all-out offensive on Moscow. Fly through the city scene once more. Once you get through it, you will now go to the:

Sixth screen...attack the castle. You exit your jet, equipped with a mortar launcher. Your objective is to destroy the tank, all the enemy soldiers and blow open the door that leads to the reactor. You can also destroy other parts of the castle for extra points along the way. Don't stay still for too long as the enemy's fire is deadly accurate. Blast your way into the:

Seventh screen...the reactor. Your job is to destroy the robots that are working to keep the reactor cool. You must hit the robots by hitting them from behind with your discs. Bounce your discs off the back wall and hitting the robots from behind. Move your man left and right. Up and down adjust the angle of your throw (see the black dot on the back wall.) If you run out of discs, you will go back to the sixth screen. Destroy 2 robots before the timer runs out and you escape (and score a ton of bonus points.) If the timer runs out, the reactor blows up...with you inside it.

I'm sure there are other details, but this should get you started.

EDIT: I forgot to put this in, and it's rather important: If one of your cities is destroyed, your score resets to zero. So, if you're playing for a high score, you might as well start over if you lose a city. :)

Edited by Deteacher

QIX* Tips, already mentioned in the opening post, but they are VERY important...

Split the QIX, if you draw a line that separates the QIX it will give you a multiplier, continue to do this until your multiplier is up to X9 (use fast draw for this)

Hold fire to draw more slowly but get more points for the completed areas, however ONLY do this if you know you can complete the box before it gets hit but the QIX.

So, Ummmm Yeah!!! Let's drop ROM this round ;-) I think I found a game I'm better at :twisted:

Qix* - 638287

What :!: You've beaten my hard earned HSC record already :x :x

[not played yet] Are we happy that ROM on Beginner is the best setting - does the game end or level up to advanced then suicidal :?:

Beginner for ROM :thumbsup: or even just drop the damn game :D

QIX tip... If you are having trouble getting to the higher levels... Use the fast draw to make boxes that block the qix on one side of the screen, then use slow draw to make boxes on the other side, so you don't get hit by the Qix... (and remember on screens with multiple QIX to split them to improve your multiplier)

So, Ummmm Yeah!!! Let's drop ROM this round ;-) I think I found a game I'm better at :twisted:

Qix* - 638287

What :!: You've beaten my hard earned HSC record already :x :x

[not played yet] Are we happy that ROM on Beginner is the best setting - does the game end or level up to advanced then suicidal :?:

The game ends. You have to start a whole new game on the harder levels. Why not have bonus challenges for Advanced and Suicidal levels? :)

QIX tip... If you are having trouble getting to the higher levels... Use the fast draw to make boxes that block the qix on one side of the screen, then use slow draw to make boxes on the other side, so you don't get hit by the Qix... (and remember on screens with multiple QIX to split them to improve your multiplier)

NOOOO! Don't drop ROM! :) I love that game and I'm planning on taking a crack at the harder levels. :)

How do you guys get such high scores? I was never good at qix though I do love it. I was amazed I got to the 3rd round.

they're racking up the bonus multiplier to maximum before playing for points. Split the Qix (one on each side) and you advance the multiplier. I have to practice this technique.

How do you guys get such high scores? I was never good at qix though I do love it. I was amazed I got to the 3rd round.

they're racking up the bonus multiplier to maximum before playing for points. Split the Qix (one on each side) and you advance the multiplier. I have to practice this technique.

Isn't that what I worte in the QIX Tips

Detacher, how are you avoiding the missile on level three that runs right up yer arse every time?

drop it?

\ /
o.o

sloopy.

Isn't that what I worte in the QIX Tips

Detacher, how are you avoiding the missile on level three that runs right up yer arse every time?

LOL! Fly low. Keep your plane altitude low (0,1,2,3) The missile flies right over your head. Once it passes, rise up and shoot it down.

New scores to post:

ROM: 120,190!

post-9712-0-93803200-1315351413_thumb.png

Qix: 325,837!

post-9712-0-97694700-1315351424_thumb.png

I think I'm done with ROM, unless there's going to be bonus challenges for advanced and suicidal. I better work on my Qix skillz if I'm going to keep up with the competition. I was lucky to get that score because I cleared half of one board with 9x multiplier. The multiplier only counts on slow draw. Fast draw clearings are always 1x score.

Edited by Deteacher

LOL! Fly low. Keep your plane altitude low (0,1,2,3) The missile flies right over your head. Once it passes, rise up and shoot it down.

Sweet, I knew there was a trick to it, and it's been years since I actually played (see what happens when you nominate a game as a joke, and it ends up getting picked)... Now I should be able to get more than 20 points LOL

ROM's a nice game, I'd never play it otherwise - just the initial stage and the slow map bit might put off people having the odd go so it goes nicely with Qix which is instantly playable... talking of which I need to download another copy - crashes multiple sparks screen lines and fill and bonuses going crazy :o

Had a quick bash on ROM 12,880 - If anyone beats beginner have a bash on the advanced and then on suicidal there's major gravity to contend with; looks tough (HSC points will be awarded) ;-)

post-19705-0-45205500-1315389061_thumb.jpg

quite insanse xylophones :ponder: