IGNORED

HP Deskjet 400

texacala

I inherited an HP Deskjet 400 (made in 1997) that I thought I'd try out with my 130 XE. I plugged my MPP 1150 Printer Interface into my computer, my NUXX, and printer. The NUXX fired right up and I typed LPRINT "please work" in BASIC and the paper advanced! But no text. Then I tried printing with Last Word (using default LW.PDR driver) and the operation timed out. Unfortunately, there are no printer codes listed in the manual. It does indicate that there are some built-in internal fonts which made me think it might work. Am I barking up the wrong tree with this? Any driver out there that might work?

No - the deskjet had its own unique 'codes' or such. There was an Epson FX80 cartidge you could buy so it would act like one of those printers and could then connect to your 8bit - I think I did this, though I usually used mine with my Atari ST. It was a great printer at the time.

I'm not sure about the 400 - got a picture? Is it the 'new' style?

The original DeskJet and the DeskJet 500 work just fine on an Atari. They use the PCL language, which still works on the newer laser printers. I made a Basic program that printed a DTP-style page from an AW file that worked pretty well. I still have a lot of stuff that I wrote for the DeskJet/LaserJet for printing labels, checks, envelopes, and that kind of stuff. Use it all the time on my LaserJets.

You should not need a driver... are you sure that the printer works? Does the printhead move back and forth when you print? Try hitting FormsFeed after you print something (make it not Ready, first).

If it is one of the newer DJs, you may need to send it things from the printer driver in your PC. Toss it... get an old one or, better yet, an LaserJet. Get one with a panel and you can select fonts and such in the printer - then print on your Atari.

Bob

I inherited an HP Deskjet 400 (made in 1997) that I thought I'd try out with my 130 XE. I plugged my MPP 1150 Printer Interface into my computer, my NUXX, and printer. The NUXX fired right up and I typed LPRINT "please work" in BASIC and the paper advanced! But no text. Then I tried printing with Last Word (using default LW.PDR driver) and the operation timed out. Unfortunately, there are no printer codes listed in the manual. It does indicate that there are some built-in internal fonts which made me think it might work. Am I barking up the wrong tree with this? Any driver out there that might work?

Thanks guys for the info. The manual says the printer should be compatible with the Deskjet 500 and command language is PCL Level 3 with extensions. So it should work... However, no mention of an Epson compatible mode that I can find. The print head does move back and forth (!) but I think the ink cart is dry from years of disuse :)

Thanks guys for the info. The manual says the printer should be compatible with the Deskjet 500 and command language is PCL Level 3 with extensions. So it should work... However, no mention of an Epson compatible mode that I can find. The print head does move back and forth (!) but I think the ink cart is dry from years of disuse :)

I had a DJ500 and for Epson compat mode you had to buy a cartridge for the unit. So my mistake on thinking it was a DJ400.

My DJ500 dried up after I stopped using it for a few years so maybe that could be the issue.

Well, I replaced the ink cartridge but still no printing. The paper loads and acts like it's about to print, but then the power light starts flashing. The printer may just not work at all, but there's no self test mode and I can't see how I'd connect it to my PC as there's no USB port, only parallel. Looks like I'm in the market for a Laserjet.

Pretty much all the HPs have self-test. Hold down the buttons one at a time while you power-on. (I think there are only two...) Or, try them both when you power-on. Give it a few seconds to get it's act together before you give up on it.

Yes, a flashing power light is un-good...

Too bad - I threw out a bunch of LJs. Nicely re-built but heavy to ship.

Bob

Well, I replaced the ink cartridge but still no printing. The paper loads and acts like it's about to print, but then the power light starts flashing. The printer may just not work at all, but there's no self test mode and I can't see how I'd connect it to my PC as there's no USB port, only parallel. Looks like I'm in the market for a Laserjet.