IGNORED

What games are necessary for a new 2600 owner?

rimciv

I know I'm beating a dead horse here . . . I love my carts, I'm just shy of owning over 100 unique titles, but at the same time Harmony lets me play on a real console which is vastly difference from hardware emulation and it lets me participate in the weekly HSC without trying to find the cartridge locally or depending on an emulator and using my keyboard for controls . . . for me at least its just not the same.

Also when it comes to testing my code out for my homebrew game I'm making, theres nothing like testing on real hardware.

Well, I don't want to start a lot of debate - especially if it's a forum perenial. As someone has already said, this is supposed to be fun.

I can only state my own opinion. Earlier I wrote that Harmony is one step removed from the real deal, and I stick by that. Emulation is two steps removed, but it also offers a whole lot more (I thought of another one in the mean time - being able to use whatever controller I want, configured the way I want).

I've nothing against Harmony - and if people are happy with it, well that's enough to be going on with. Personally it just wouldn't give me the real deal. I can't quite appreciate that it's worth an $80 investment to be one step removed, when I could invest just a little bit more and have all the things I listed earlier. And given a laptop would easily interface with modern TV's - well, it's a no brainer for me. Why buy a Harmony for the VCS, and another for the 7800, and presumably another for the 5200? I can do all that today - if you don't mind being two steps removed, which suits me.

I won't invest in a Harmony cartridge because I'm not won over by the argument. I've been buying up kit for a while - mainly Atari VCS stuff. I'll keep on doing that. But - seriously - this thread did prompt me to go through a little thinking, and I'm going to make the laptop thing a reality. It's just so easy to do, and so flexible. And if I'm not going to be running the real deal, it's close enough.

Anyway, let's just let it go at that.

ps: I can't say I've noticed joystick lag in Stella.... but that's a topic for elsewhere, no doubt! :D

Anyway back on topic! Games you should own . . . here's my list:

Juno First (Homebrew game . . . and freaking awesome)

Berzerk (My favorite 2600 game)

Pitfall

Galaxian

Gorf

Wizard of Wor

Solaris

Defender

Defender II

Gravitar

Dark Chambers

Q*Bert

Missile Command

Pac-Man

Ms. Pac-man

I know I missing alot, but those games keep my entertained!

Jeez, what's up with you Harmony owners? :D

We play games that aren't commonly available at most used store/thrift shops/flea-markets :D

*UPDATE* I just re-read my post and I came off a bit rude and that wasn't my intent. Space Invaders is a good game, just not one I enjoy. Different people like different games for different reason, depends on what type of game you like. I like games like Berzerk mostly but I like galaxian as well but some reason I don't get much enjoyment out of Space Invaders.

I only really put game on my Harmony that I play alot or that I don't have/can't afford but still want to play.

Edited by disjaukifa

I don't like Space Invaders . . . hence its not on my list :cool:

Have you tried the variations? The default game is quite easy, but it takes a lot of skill to clear more than a couple screens of game 16.

Honestly no I haven't, just popped it in and tried it once, didn't seem to capture my attention . . . though I'm going to try the game again tonight once I get home.

Wow, great thread.. and I missed it.. :(

OK, I will add a recommendation for almost ANY Activision cart. right now!

Yars' Revenge, Defender, Stargate.. and

uhh... I may be the only person to like Demons to Diamonds (Atari) .. maybe not the best graphics, but a fun game, one- or two-player....Atari 2600 was one of only 3 game machines my dad ever owned.. And usually he would wipe the floor up with me!

Don't forget some of the oddball 3rd party titles either... I like 'M.A.D.' , a missile command clone with only one gun that could be aimed...

Mountain King, Solar Fox (?), lots more 3rd party titles I love... even if they are rather odd...

Oh what about the Swordquest series? I have only Earthworld and Fireworld.. :(

Ugh, a platformer of sorts called 'Eliminator' or something similar... SO many 2600 games... hard to keep 'em straight!!

I have actually had a LOT of fun with 'Sky Jinks' , Activision ... That's another game that, on harder levels, you will WRECK your joystick... in my case.. I bent the stick into a pretzel.. lol

*I now use Epyx 500XJ sticks for my 'hard-core' gaming 2600's... a lot more robust than stock 2600 controllers...

Edited by marcfrick2112
  • Like 1

For anyone interested, here's a list of all the games mentioned so far more than 3 times:

---

Berzerk

---

Adventure

---

Space Invaders

---

Yars Revenge

Missile Command

---

Ms Pacman

Pitfall

---

River Raid

Kaboom

---

Centipede

Enduro

---

Dig Dug

---

Hero

Haunted House

Joust

Moon Patrol

Crystal Castles

Solaris

Cosmic Ark

Phoenix

Solar Fox

Also, I made a trip to Joe's Video Games in Rock Hill, SC last weekend (see thread under Classic Gaming General) and I'm now shooting little yellow robots like its 1982.....I think there's a reason Berzerk made it to the top of this list. I ended up finding a 7800 (they were all out of 2600s that day) the 6 games on my list, and 7800 Asteroids and Centipede. Thanks again for all the recommendations! I've got a good list of games to keep an eye out for next time too....

• Like 3

Well, I don't want to start a lot of debate - especially if it's a forum perenial. As someone has already said, this is supposed to be fun.

I can only state my own opinion. Earlier I wrote that Harmony is one step removed from the real deal, and I stick by that. Emulation is two steps removed, but it also offers a whole lot more (I thought of another one in the mean time - being able to use whatever controller I want, configured the way I want).

I've nothing against Harmony - and if people are happy with it, well that's enough to be going on with. Personally it just wouldn't give me the real deal. I can't quite appreciate that it's worth an $80 investment to be one step removed, when I could invest just a little bit more and have all the things I listed earlier. And given a laptop would easily interface with modern TV's - well, it's a no brainer for me. Why buy a Harmony for the VCS, and another for the 7800, and presumably another for the 5200? I can do all that today - if you don't mind being two steps removed, which suits me.

I won't invest in a Harmony cartridge because I'm not won over by the argument. I've been buying up kit for a while - mainly Atari VCS stuff. I'll keep on doing that. But - seriously - this thread did prompt me to go through a little thinking, and I'm going to make the laptop thing a reality. It's just so easy to do, and so flexible. And if I'm not going to be running the real deal, it's close enough.

Anyway, let's just let it go at that.

ps: I can't say I've noticed joystick lag in Stella.... but that's a topic for elsewhere, no doubt! :D

Modern TV's are a bigger step removed than the Harmony Cart in an Atari on a CRT.

• Like 1

Well, if I was truly going to relive my youth and experience the Atari as I did back then I'd need a console, some real carts, and a color TV that had a pink haze over the left side, and a green haze over the right. :D

I don't include the TV as part of the experience, to be honest. Clearer is better, imo. I just bought a 7800 but went for a composite modded one - if it gives a better picture then I'm totally down with that. The relationship between the TV type and the Atari was one of convenience rather than being an intrinsic part of the design. For example, no-one would design a console that only used CRT's today - technology has moved on. So I think an argument about the TV type is pretty much irrelevant.

By the same token, I pipe my TV sound through my surround system rather than use the TV speakers. It just makes things sound better - though it's not strictly speaking deplicating what I could have done in the late 70's early 80's. I don't see that as being at all removed from experiencing the real thing.

Still, we all collect things for different reasons, I guess. There are people here who want to preserve the carts, but for me they're a wonderful functional object - and it's in the using them that the greatest pleasure comes. I recall being a kid and buying a new game, opening the box, and pulling out that cart for the first time - holding it, popping it into the slot. Magic! When done, pulling it out, pushing in another one. New game! That was my experiencing using the Atari, of owning one and enjoying it.

As I understand a Harmony cart, what I'd get is a menu from which I can choose the game I want to play, when done I'd quit that game, go back to the menu, and choose another one. Now, that experience is more akin to Mame for me. I do that on Mame and Stella - I click, I play, I quit, I click another game etc. It's different from the plugging and unplugging physical objects.

We're all different, and we're looking for slightly different things from our collection - variants, if you will. I confess I don't understand how someone can collect all the carts and lock them away in a closet. I mean, I appreciate the arguments of keeping them pristine and all, but they were made to be enjoyed, and they still work - so it's a shame to see them just sitting there.

Perhaps by playing the games I'm lowering their perceived value - but that's another thing I don't concern myself with - how much something is supposedly worth. I collect for my own enjoyment. I like playing the games. If I own the cart then I can't see why I'd pay $80 to play the game on something else. For the games I don't have - well, I tend to buy it. If the prices are too high then there's Stella. Some games I simply accept I will have to go without in physical form. I'm okay with that.

Clearer is better in my opinion also. That's why I primarily play with my modified 2600 Expansion Module for the Colecovision with s-video . Overall picture quality is important too. That's why I primarily use a flat screen CRT. It is clear, bright, I can count every pixel, I can use a light gun, and it looks way better than my LCD. When I hook it up to my LCD it has an emulation look. When I hook it to my CRT it looks like it is suppose to minus the rf interference, dot craw, color bleed, and a round tube. If I'm in the mood to go old school I'll hook up one of my heavy sixers to my 1978 Sony Trinitron and use my actual carts minus my rare ones. I just do that on special occasions because I prefer to have the experience that I wished for back in the day instead of the one I had back in the day.

I don't understand how the TV argument is irrelevant all because technology has moved on. It's moved on but not with much backwards compatible for classic games. It moved on and left them behind. The Harmony Cart is an example of cart technology moving along without leaving classic games behind. I don't understand how using the actual carts is important but the TV is not.

What I mainly enjoy about collecting carts is the artwork and collecting label variations. I don't enjoy taking out my totes with hundreds of Atari games in them, finding a game to play, taking it out of it's cart size Ziploc bag, playing it for a few minutes and then realizing I'm not in the mood for it, putting it in the Ziploc bag again, putting it in it's alphabetical spot, and doing it all over again. I especially don't like doing that for rare games. I have a Time Warp cart that less than 10 are known to exist. There is no way I'll risk ruining that when I have it on my Harmony Cart. If I didn't have a Harmony Cart I would go through all that with my common carts but I rather just play the games in a non emulated fashion without going through all the digging out carts. I'm not a kid anymore. I don't have time for all of that. My carts are like a baseball card collection. My carts aren't just locked up in a closet. I enjoy them just as much but my Harmony cart is my wonderful functional object.

You are correct that the menu is like Stella but it is kind of like the best of both worlds. You can use a menu without having to use an emulator. Also, not pulling out the cart is optional. If you wanted to you could pull it out, put it in a shoe box, take it out of the shoe box, put it in your Atari, and then pick another game. You can't do that with Stella.

Oh crap - I wrote a full reply but the server errored out when I posted it, causing it to be lost. :(

Here we goa gain...

I don't feel burdened by having to pull out a cartridge and then put them away. There’s no hardship in it at all for me. I suppose if they were stored in some inaccessible way – like at the back of a closet – that might be a pain, but it’s simply not the case for me.

On the cartridge itself, it’s not the labels that I’m interested in. I really don’t care too much about the label. The cart is important to me as an object. I love the physicality of it, the ceremony of putting a cart in, pulling one out. It’s holding it, the tactile feel. The physical cartridge is as much part of the time and place as the game console itself. I know a lot of people on the board collect label variants, but that’s not me. However, a physical cartridge is essential though. If reduce a game to bits and bytes for use in a different way, as in the case of a Harmony, then I’d prefer to think through all of my options.

The options are – I’d need a Harmony for the 2600, 7800, 5200, and for the 8-bit computer line. So four Harmony’s. At $80 a go, that’s $320 in total. For much less I can buy a laptop and realize all the benefits I mentioned before. In the end, the math doesn’t add up. For me. Your mileage, clearly, varies.

I’m in no way anti-Harmony! For those it suits, good! For me though, I’d rather use Stella at that point. No, let me take that back, I’d rather buy the cart for myself and use that. And of course there are exceptions, super-rare games worth lots of money. But again, I have Stella for those.

On the TV front, CRT’s are brighter – but they’re also smaller and have inferior sound. Also, the days of CRT’s pushed us toward the PAL/NTSC debacle, something I won’t miss. Perhaps it’s strange, but while playing on a CRT might be preferred (I currently have my 2600 hooked to a CRT) I don’t feel it’s an essential component of my enjoyment. Maybe I’ve been infected by the modern world, but those crisp pixel based screens suit me down to the ground!

My Atari and its carts aren’t ready for a museum yet. They’re still there, on display, and being used. As it should be, imo. I’m not going to protect it from use. I bought it to play the games, to enjoy a part of my childhood over again. That’s my motivation. I need physical for that.

I think Star Raiders would qualify as a game people should own.

But do not - DO NOT - do as I did. I own two carts of it now, and still have no controllers. So I can't really play it.

You've got to be pretty stupid to do it TWICE. :D

Do you have the keyboard controllers for games like Brain Games and Codebreaker? The Video Touch Pad for Star Raiders was just a keyboard controller in disguise.

I think Star Raiders would qualify as a game people should own.

But do not - DO NOT - do as I did. I own two carts of it now, and still have no controllers. So I can't really play it.

You've got to be pretty stupid to do it TWICE. :D

Do you have the keyboard controllers for games like Brain Games and Codebreaker? The Video Touch Pad for Star Raiders was just a keyboard controller in disguise.

The Kids' Controller is also compatible.

I'm not sure if it's been said...but I have to give a shout out to the homebrewers out there developing kickass games for the 2600.

I think any of these titles are necessary to own for a new 2600 owner.

I just picked up Dungeon and it blows me away.

Adventure

Air Sea Battle/Target Fun

Asteroids

Astroblast

Basketball

Beamrider

Berzerk

BMX Air Master

Bump 'n Jump

Circus Atari

Combat/Tank Plus

California Games

Crystal Castles

Demon Attack

Centipede

Dig Dug

Double Dunk

Dragonfire

Enduro

Fathom

Frogger

Frostbite

Galaxian

Haunted House

HERO

Jr. Pac-Man

Jungle Hunt

Kaboom

Keystone Kapers

Laser Gates

Lock 'n Chase

Megamania

Midnight Magic

Millipede

Missile Command

Moon Patrol

Moonsweeper

Ms. Pac-Man

Omega Race (needs booster grip or CV controller)

Phoenix

Pitfall

Pitfall II

Pressure Cooker

Q*Bert

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Reactor

River Raid

Robot Tank

Solar Fox

Solaris

Space Invaders

Spider Fighter

Spy Hunter

Stampede

Stargate/Defender II

Summer Games

Super Breakout

Supercharger and Communist Mutants from Space, Dragonstomper, Escape from the Mindmaster, Fireball, and Phaser Patrol

Tapper

Turmoil

Vanguard

Winter Games

Edited by BrianC
  • Like 1