IGNORED

Remembering the Dreamcast

swlovinist

How widespread is the disc read failure on the DC. I bought a used DC a few weeks back just to have it succumb to the disc read error 2 days later. Thankfully the shop warranties their consoles for 30 days so I got a replacement. A quick Google search shows it is somewhat common, but an easy fix.

That said I really do like the console and like the games (what I have so far) for it. For a console that had a short commercial life the game selection is good. And at least locally the few game shops that exist do stock DC games, but only 2 or 3 of them actually have a decent selection.

Are there any must have DC games that I really need to get? I already have Crazy Taxi, SEGA GT and Metropolis Street Racer.

Are there any must have DC games that I really need to get? I already have Crazy Taxi, SEGA GT and Metropolis Street Racer.

It depends on what you are into, although the Dreamcast basically has every genre covered.. Interestingly enough, something some systems that were around far longer couldn't manage to do. :lol:

Let us know what you're into and we can toss out some good recommendations. :)

I like driving/racing games in general (hence what I bought already). Not a fan of the arcade fights (so no Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive), meh on platformers but I could get into the right one. Like flight sim, strategy and puzzle games. I'd be into the right shoot em up or arcade port stuff.

On my list thus far is Shemue and Toy Commander. Other stuff is up in the air.

I like driving/racing games in general (hence what I bought already). Not a fan of the arcade fights (so no Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive), meh on platformers but I could get into the right one. Like flight sim, strategy and puzzle games. I'd be into the right shoot em up or arcade port stuff.

All right..

Driving games: Tokyo Extreme Racer 1 & 2 (they are more "open" driving games with a unique "battle" system), Daytona USA, F355 Challenge, Wacky Races, Looney Tunes Space Race, Test Drive LeMans, Vanishing Point, and more.

Strategy: Hm.. Can't think of a ton, although there is Conflict Zone, which is a RTS if I recall correctly. As far as puzzlers, you have your traditional stuff like various versions of Tetris, Bust-A-Move 4, Wetrix+, and I believe Columns is included on the Sega Smash Pack.

Shoot 'em up and arcade port type stuff: Giga Wing (1 or 2), Mars Matrix, Gunbird 2, and Cannon Spike; Unfotunately most are pricey, although the first Giga Wing and Gunbird 2 are both the cheapest of the bunch ($20 - $30). There's also a ton of Sega arcade ports, like Crazy Taxi (that you already have), Zombie Revenge and Dynamite Cop (kind of average, but fun with two players), Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram, etc.

I like driving/racing games in general

Demolition Racer: No Exit, my favorite DC game ever. Also, Hydro Thunder is awesome!

Test Drive 6

That's generally considered to be one of the worst Dreamcast games available. Everyone has their own strange fetishes though, I suppose. :ponder:

I have not heard that, I allways thought it was a good game. I got the game for free. I wouldn't call liking it a "strange fetish" though :roll:.

And how can you not like Fear Factory?

I have not heard that, I allways thought it was a good game. I got the game for free. I wouldn't call liking it a "strange fetish" though :roll:.

You sure you're not thinking of Test Drive LeMans? Now that's a good game.

I'll give it to you though--I'd probably at least rate Test Drive 6 above the Spirt of Speed: 1937. :P

You sure you're not thinking of Test Drive LeMans? Now that's a good game.

Nope, I'm thinking of 6.

53989_test_drive_6.jpg

I've never played LeMans, Might pick it up sometime.

I'll give it to you though--I'd probably at least rate Test Drive 6 above the Spirt of Speed: 1937. :P

That game does not seem that bad, but the loading time is unbearable, IMO.

That game does not seem that bad, but the loading time is unbearable, IMO.

Just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on Checkered Flag for the Jag?

(sorry, just giving you a hard time now :P )

Just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on Checkered Flag for the Jag?

Dosen't look too bad. Dosen't look too good either. :P

(sorry, just giving you a hard time now :P )

Actually, your not. I'm bored anyway. :D

Edited by Cortat G

Throwing out some favorites for DC, avoiding the fighting games as the OP said they're not into them (which is a bit of a shame as I think the DC is an absolute fighting game powerhouse, what with Soul Calibur, VF3, Power Stone 1 and 2, Marvel vs Capcom 2, etc):

Seconding the motion above for Toy Commander, Cannon Spike and Demolition Racer: No Exit...

Adding Speed Devils (a fun racer if _long_), Typing of the Dead (need a DC Keyboard, but it's _awesome_), Space Channel 5 and Ooga Booga (how many witch-doctor shooting / fighting games you gonna come across anyways??).

Have fun with the DC!

• 2 weeks later...

I already have Crazy Taxi, SEGA GT and Metropolis Street ...

Don't overlook Speed Devils. It may not immediately grab you but play it for an hour or two and you might get addicted! I have always dug its variety of tracks which have many interactive obstacles to deal with. On the Hollywood course, you will need to contend with giant theme-park-sized T-rex, King Kong, and Jaws (eating the dock you are racing over). Each of 3 laps these creatures may be doing something differently! For example, at first Rex is just standing trying to block the road. Next lap he is walking around. Next lap he is walking around ON FIRE. :) Ever stage has stuff like this. Also there are cool shortcuts. One I just rediscovered the other night - on the Alpine course, you can skid across a frozen pond as a short-cut, just don't smack a tree or it'll be for nothing.

The gameplay has a damage model, money from winnings which you spend on add-ons, new cars, and fixing damage. Characters will make bets with you. Overall I really like Speed Devils.

Sega Rally 2 has a lot of challenge and depth to it when you play the 10 year challenge. I never got past year 7, it was too demanding for me back in the day.

Concerning puzzle kinds of games, I recommend Chu Chu Rocket, and Mr. Driller.

• Like 1

Driving games: Tokyo Extreme Racer 1 & 2 (they are more "open" driving games with a unique "battle" system)

I never was much of a racing fan, but I loved Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2. The nighttime highway is rendered so well (for the time, at least), and it was fun just driving around, trying to find rivals in their various turfs to race. Made good use of the analog triggers for brake & gas, something I hadn't been able to do on a home system before.

I forget the driving game I played on Dreamcast alot. It might have been the first TXR.

My dreamcast is still my favorite system post Playstation. Why did it have to dieeeeee.

If you drove around populated highways & challenged cars to races by flashing your headlights at 'em... that might be your game.

Edited by Rex Dart

It was San Francisco Rush 2049. (Its on the one demo from the magazines)

I only played the multiplayer though. and I never got the real version. The demo was enough for me since I don't like many driving games.

Re-Volt was cool though.

An earlier post mentions the VMUs. Can anyone else confirm that the things eat batteries? It seems like you buy new batteries and they're used up in a week, even with the power turned off. The only solution is to remove the batteries when not in use.

Me personally, I modded one of mine with an old USB cable to power it through a USB port. I found the mod of the Ben Heck forum. The photo on the Ben Heck forum looks awful. My mod is much cleaner. I cut a small hole in the bottom of the VMU where the wrist cord would have been run, threaded the usb cable through and tied off the cord in a knot so it wouldn't slide through. The USB wires are screwed down beneath the power leads on the VMU. No soldering required. The end result is a very clean look and surprisingly enough it works quite well off a USB port. Plus, no more batteries. Ok, it's not as portable, but given the way they eat batteries, they weren't that portable anyway.

http://benheck.com/f...php?f=6&t=34552

I lovve the Dreamcast too. I'm running through TimeStalkers at the moment. The Dreamcast really is a system that didn't get the love it deserved. Sega really screwed up withg their lack of focus leadership and infighting.

Edited by Lendorien