IGNORED

One very impressive A8 work in progress (video inside)

oky2000

This is looking very nice indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLwtLUQJXXc

Yes, a scrolling Map... but instead of copying the C64 colours they could be using those DLIs. to get real better ones from the A8 greater Pallete.

I've said it about Flimbo and I would say it again: "..."

It's from Gonzo and I have nothing against him, I even talk with him lots of time on the past about Last Ninja.

Like that ones he start this with Miker and others help at the Musics,... but then it just be what you see here: just '.xex' of a Demo, an YouTube video by Kaz.

I have to say that he at least learn to code Charsets scrolling and PMs. placed on screen (and I don't... :thumbsup: for that to him!).

If he ever learn/go much more further and code soft sprite routines then this Demos could turn into games.

Like someone was saying back in time (same I said about Flimbo's Quest more recently...):

"About the "game demo" . We all know that is is not possible to finish this game in this way.... by far.

Standard char screen scrolling and all PM is used fot the main sprite. Possibly extreme flicker will help?"

;)

I, personally think that Flicker, probably, isn't necessary.

Why do you think that there's no Enemys here, no Enemys in Flimbo's Quest,... ;)

Just my sincerily Thoughts. Any coder here can, probably not say anything, but they know what I am talking about :arrow: ...

(P.s.- Just see all the bad guys and the Fire and the Explosion and the...:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6wnGk5-mcI

Now say me where he will get all those Things onto the screen doing this way?)

Edited by José Pereira

Total no. onscreen colours impressed me (who cares if they use similar shades to the award winning C64 version) as did the music.

Well, the colours were no problem. The moving objects were...

And the music... possibly another hint, that POKEY doesn't sound like SID. Don't forget that POKEY is the Older Chip. It's just a usage of the given, just underused by the lacking information about it. SID is an optimised POKEY (plus some other technologies). So SID sounds like POKEY was the better fitting term.

I would have liked to hear the high score tune though as that uses ADSR+filters to give a specific soft sound.

No problem with a dedicated software....

Edited by emkay

Total no. onscreen colours impressed me (who cares if they use similar shades to the award winning C64 version) as did the music.

I would have liked to hear the high score tune though as that uses ADSR+filters to give a specific soft sound.

Shame if it can't be done as is and stays as a demo.

FIRST: The total nº on-screen colours it's just a question of DLis. if they're possible on the game scrolling Map...

I was saying that the same, like it is now can have different colours and luminances, just exactly it is now.

Ghost'n'Goblins can be an exactly copy of the C64 gfxs. but don't have to copy it's colours when A8 have more colours and Luminances (an this particular stage can have some DLIs. for a Ground better IMHO)

SECOND: It can't be going this way because there aren't A8 PMs. to get Fire, Explosion, Enemys, Bonus,... The Resources are wasted all in 'our guy'... probably like it is...

12pixels wide it's lost but like this: (2PlayersMissiles more 2Missiles)Multicolour=12pixels and then have space for the same colours in (2Players)Multicolour=8pixels wide for the Shoot.

(but still no PMs. for any of the other Things...)

If you do exactly like it's now but with soft sprites with PMs. overlays something is possible, but even this way probably not all... or probably it could be possible... who knows?)

THIRD: About Music I think that the sounds aren't bad, indeed very good.

I don't know much about Notes and Music but I have many cases where I like more the A8 POKEY than the SID version of the same Tune.

Many times I think POKEY can re-invent himself with some clever guys programming but SID sounds always the same ;) )

Have you listen this one (the latest version posted on that old Thread):GNG.xex

Edited by José Pereira

Load this and see the way he intends to have the Enemy guys:

g&g.xex

(it is using Brown&White-PF0&PF1 and Black-BACKGR.)

When the Game Load it shows the Enemy guy, now move your Joystick and 'our guy' sprite will appear and Enemy start walking.

You can climb stairs but you can't fall...

See, what have I said... Is this really worth to have the game this way... and there's not the shots...

Edited by José Pereira

g&g.xex

When the Game Load it shows the Enemy guy, now move your Joystick and 'our guy' sprite will appear and Enemy start walking.

See, what have I said... Is this really worth to have the game this way... and there's not the shots...

I'm still for gr. 7 in fullscreen, to solve all problems ... ;)

post-2756-0-36735800-1315731065_thumb.png

g&g.xex

This looks good.

Is it only a joke (converted image from other console) or do you have an idea how to do it on A8?

I guess the first, but hope for the second :)

g&g.xex

And you don't have PM's to colour all that ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But you have for this:

post-6517-0-59265600-1315732444_thumb.png

His work and C64:

post-6517-0-39987300-1315732477_thumb.pngpost-6517-0-02055700-1315732509_thumb.gif

What we have here?

Simple... exactly same he has, but:

-> Same ANTIC4

-> Same 32bytes wide screen

-> I just add two extra DLIs. on PF2 and one on PF3 (outside the soo called in C64 World 'Bad Lines')

-> Use PRIOR0 (I saw other Levels to get PRIOR0 (colours,luminances) right on 'our guy' and ways to colour Enemy's sprites)

-> If he goes into soft sprite for the Enemys than it's a waste to use all PMs. on 'our guy'.

The solution it's soft sprites with PMs. overlays (there's not many in G'n'G and 32bytes wide can have 5or6 of these soft sprites on screen):

PM0&M1 on 'our guy'

P1 for the shooting

P2 for one Enemy

P3 for a second Enemy

(more on other Lines by Multiplexing)

M2&M3 for that 'Bottle/Basket/...' Bonus

See, where's the problem, just the same, exactly the same...

Where's the diffrence? Three our four more soft sprites, that here are soo small (the large ones are in places where 1large=2small)?

Problem it's that we all need a soft sprite with PMs. overlays routine that some done on some briefly screen concepts but never get into something that can be usefull for all... a kind of a 'Master/Macro'... That's what I am waiting ;) !...

:P

José Pereira.

Edited by José Pereira

Args....

Ofcourse we have the PM's to colour "all that" . As you might know, it's just a range of the Amiga version, fitting into the gr. 7 resolution, so colour would be not the same ;)

But we have DLIs and maaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy cycles available to move softwaresprites and PM in double scanline mode.

Args....

Ofcourse we have the PM's to colour "all that" . As you might know, it's just a range of the Amiga version, fitting into the gr. 7 resolution, so colour would be not the same ;)

But we have DLIs and maaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy cycles available to move softwaresprites and PM in double scanline mode.

Soo, take the Amiga version GR.7 you have there and Load it into G2F.

Then colour the Gfxs. with PMs Underlays and then get more PMs. to colour 'our guy' and the Enemys.

You can DLIs., many of them for all the Ground stuff but for the Camp you'll need a PMs., at least one.

Then get PMs. to colour all the guy's soft sprite.

I am giving you some concrete ideas... now it's up to you!...

Load G2F and do what I am usually doing: G2F screen with explanation of my Idea(DLIs, PRIORs, Sprites, Underlay&Overlays,...)

But you have to use G2F and waste some words of explanation ;)

Args....

Then colour the Gfxs. with PMs Underlays and then get more PMs. to colour 'our guy' and the Enemys.

You can DLIs., many of them for all the Ground stuff but for the Camp you'll need a PMs., at least one.

Load G2F and do what I am usually doing: G2F screen with explanation of my Idea(DLIs, PRIORs, Sprites, Underlay&Overlays,...)

G2F doesn't support Gr.7

Args....

G2F doesn't support Gr.7

Emkay you can Load the picture already in GR.7 format and then colour it exactly like you want, exactly the way you think it's right...

What 'the Hell' have G2F to do if you have the image in 2pixels high? You have only to not use PF3 on the picture (but can use PF3 on the 4Missiles as 5th Player ;) ...).

Emkay that one doesn't convince anyone here!

You know that, don't you?

;)

What 'the Hell' have G2F to do if you have the image in 2pixels high? You have only to not use PF3 on the picture (but can use PF3 on the 4Missiles as 5th Player ;) ...).

Emkay that one doesn't convince anyone here!

Missing up to 8 possible register changes every 2nd line....

That I want to learn and you will explain, right?

Please...

But what 8changes will you get to turn a game like this different?

How will you have all those Large guys?

You still have only 4colours and 4PMs?

This one, for example, can't go by Flicker like Space Harrier...

What 8registers will you change?

(But you can do that in PAINT and explain :arrow: )

Edited by José Pereira

Those additional "up to 8" register-changes could help in

multiplexing PMs, where needed. And, it's exactly -only- needed for the vertical postion and size of the protagonist.But even this isn't possible in G2F , due to the lacking reuse of PM per scanline.

Huge objects? Well, they're the half of what they look like ;)

(But you can do that in PAINT and explain :arrow: )

No.

It's better to have something working on the real thing. As you might see, even then it is a problem to convince people ...

And without nothing you aren't even convicing me...

Multiplexing Enemys?

What you understanding by Multiplexing?

Re-use same PM on the same Line, even in a scrolling game and different shapes?

Multiplexing vertically it's just DLIs. and that can be done in G2F.

Huge objects? Well, they're the half of what they look like

To colour one of the guy's sprites, I would at least need 2Players for each.

Then only two could be at the same Line... And I return to the old problem/old question:

"Where's PMs. to colour Gfxs.? DLIs. don't colour them all!"

Emkay I read so many ideas from you but I never see a concrete screen and explanations...

It makes me wonder what can be possible but I always don't get it.

Me and all here... Even a PAINT screen with some explanations wouldn't be better?

Without nothing and no-one will believe, for sure!

;)

Edited by José Pereira

Re-use same PM on the same Line, even in a scrolling game and different shapes?

bingo

Emkay, Oh! my God!...

:ponder:

Bingo, Emkay... Bingo?

What's the Winning Numbers? ;)

:twisted:

Can you explain better?

Re-use same PMs in the same Line I understand...

O.k., and that it's really possible?

For example:

-> One Enemy: soft sprite + P0

-> Other Enemy (at the same Line): soft sprite + P0 re-use :?

But this is possible in scrolling? And the Player 're-use' wouldn't need to be the same shape&colour or because we have more cycles it could be different?

Edited by José Pereira