1. 1. Triggerhappy

• Millipede
    • Missile Command
    • Beamrider
    • Stargate
    • River Raid

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

No sports games??

No one requested any and that might be difficult to run here. I wouldn't play any personally, but would allow them.

We never played any sports games before in the 5200 HSC.

I'd just thought i'd toss that idea out there. :)

I played a bit of RS Baseball. I haven't quite figured out how to hit the ball.

I got the batter to swing, but i keep striking out.

Another game suggestion, Countermeasure.

I figured out how to play that one since we last played it. :)

I can add sports titles if they're wanted. If I remember, I'll add C-measure to next poll. Personally, I only like about 10-12 titles and only really play about 7. I will be avoiding the 2 games that only work on certain systems, except as a bonus challenge. I run these for you guys, not for myself and I'm actually grateful for the break I get on games I don't wish to play.

I'd have to read-up on those titles as they're ones I usually give away on sight. Some 1 player sports action could be possible I think.

Sweet! Hoping Missile Command retains its lead... love that game! (Also, a big River Raid fan, however, so I would be thrilled to play that one here in the future.)

Not interested at all in the sports games.

Zylon, sorry to hear that you really only like a fraction of the 5200's library... thank you for running this tournament despite that!!

Edited by sdamon

Sweet! Hoping Missile Command retains its lead... love that game! (Also, a big River Raid fan, however, so I would be thrilled to play that one here in the future.)

Zylon, sorry to hear that you really only like a fraction of the 5200's library... thank you for running this tournament despite that!!

The only ones I put an honest effort into are: Missile Command, Kaboom, Pole Position, Space Invaders, Galaxian, Joust, River Raid, & Super Breakout. The rest I could live without. A lot of the homebrews/hacks/conversions are ok, but Millipede is the only one I really enjoyed.

The only ones I put an honest effort into are: Missile Command, Kaboom, Pole Position, Space Invaders, Galaxian, Joust, River Raid, & Super Breakout. The rest I could live without. A lot of the homebrews/hacks/conversions are ok, but Millipede is the only one I really enjoyed.

OK, it looks like sports games are out. lol

@zylon, you don't like Ms Pac Man or Defender?

I find Defender to be much more difficult on real hardware.

Edited by roadrunner

The Pacmans are games I'll play for fun once in a while, Defender is a "coin-flip" away from scrap every time I play it. Every other port of Defender I've ever played is better.

The majority of the library is in my "I don't really care, but I'll play along." category. Then there's about 10 or so that I just get rid of on sight.

I've always had a love/hate relationship with 5200. The ones I like, I really like. The ones I hate, I wind up destroying. Examples: Berzerk, Jungle Hunt, Frogger, Qbert, Vanguard, Kangaroo...

The 10% or so that I like, I play with a vengeful fury. The ones I hate get an emulated screenshot with some sort of score, while the rest get 2-3 token plays usually. Kind of like our current round; good game, but I just don't care. I don't even really vote. I just add mine to whatever is winning when I close the poll.

So keep the suggestions/requests coming and I'll keep it interesting.

Edited by zylon

The Pacmans are games I'll play for fun once in a while, Defender is a "coin-flip" away from scrap every time I play it. Every other port of Defender I've ever played is better.

The majority of the library is in my "I don't really care, but I'll play along." category. Then there's about 10 or so that I just get rid of on sight.

I've always had a love/hate relationship with 5200. The ones I like, I really like. The ones I hate, I wind up destroying. Examples: Berzerk, Jungle Hunt, Frogger, Qbert, Vanguard, Kangaroo...

The 10% or so that I like, I play with a vengeful fury. The ones I hate get an emulated screenshot with some sort of score, while the rest get 2-3 token plays usually. Kind of like our current round; good game, but I just don't care. I don't even really vote. I just add mine to whatever is winning when I close the poll.

So keep the suggestions/requests coming and I'll keep it interesting.

When you say "destroying" you toss these games in garbage or drive a truck over the cart? :(

Fascinating to get your thoughts on the 5200 library, zylon, especially since mine are so different. I've always loved the audio and video of the Atari 8-bit hardware... it seems that 1979-era hardware is just about perfect for porting very good versions of the classic arcade games of 1978-1984. From around 84 until fairly recently, I used the Atari computers to play these games, but since picking up a 5200 at a yard sale, I've really found the 5200 to provide an excellent experience as well. As the classic arcade games of that era still remain my all-time favorites, I really love playing their ports on the 5200. Sure, I can (and do) play the same games on MAME, but there's something about these ports that draws me back again and again.

I can't say I really hate ANY 5200 games (although I haven't even really tried the sports games.) I regret that the controls make a few of them nearly unplayable. Q-bert comes to mind here especially - which is a shame, as the actual game is excellent, and one of my favorites on the 800XL.

On the other hand, Defender is actually a huge personal favorite... I actually prefer it to the arcade game, which is just mercilessly hard. Berzerk and Kangaroo are also great in my book, as are most of the other arcade ports for the system.

I'm certainly not trying to change your mind... clearly, you've given the library a more than fair chance! I just find it interesting how opinions can differ so much. I am curious... is it the quality of the 5200 ports that bothers you for games like Berzerk, Kangaroo, Jungle Hunt, Popeye, etc. or are you just a big fan of the original arcade games for these titles?

Once again, thanks for continuing to run a tournament for a system that you have such mixed feelings about. It's appreciated!

I do have the A8 ports of these as well. My favorites are not as good on A8 as on 5200, some of the others are more playable, and the ones I hate still suck. Ironically, 5200/A8/C64/Vic-20 is all I really play anymore. The titles mentioned in the hate-list are just so insanely hard as to only cause anger instead of enjoyment.

When I refer to destroying a game, it's just that. They either get sent to Al or I start the woodchipper. Not worth my time to list/package/ship/answer ?'s for one cart.

Don't feel bad, I'm getting rid of 7800 for the last time as well soon.

5200 is actually my favorite Atari system to play, just only 1/4 or less of the library. 7800 I only like 5 games, and I'd have a tough time picking out 25 games I'd still play on 2600. That's not even 5% of that library. I probably spend an hour on 5200 to every 10 minutes on 2600 or 1 minute on 7800.

The funny thing is fixing these things(5200/2600) is much more fun than playing them.

Edited by zylon

Beamrider falls into my "meh" category with most titles. Liked 'em enough to keep, but don't love 'em enough to really play.

I'm going to start a "request thread" for games everyone would like to play so I have a good list to pick from for the round polls. My "like" list is somewhat short but I've tried to maintain a variety so far. :)

Beamrider falls into my "meh" category with most titles. Liked 'em enough to keep, but don't love 'em enough to really play.

I'm going to start a "request thread" for games everyone would like to play so I have a good list to pick from for the round polls. My "like" list is somewhat short but I've tried to maintain a variety so far. :)

The 5200 controller makes Beamrider alot more difficult.

I can do much better at the 2600 version. :)

Cool, a request thread.

I'm going to request a sports game. :)

I do have the A8 ports of these as well. My favorites are not as good on A8 as on 5200, some of the others are more playable, and the ones I hate still suck. Ironically, 5200/A8/C64/Vic-20 is all I really play anymore. The titles mentioned in the hate-list are just so insanely hard as to only cause anger instead of enjoyment.

When I refer to destroying a game, it's just that. They either get sent to Al or I start the woodchipper. Not worth my time to list/package/ship/answer ?'s for one cart.

Don't feel bad, I'm getting rid of 7800 for the last time as well soon.

5200 is actually my favorite Atari system to play, just only 1/4 or less of the library. 7800 I only like 5 games, and I'd have a tough time picking out 25 games I'd still play on 2600. That's not even 5% of that library. I probably spend an hour on 5200 to every 10 minutes on 2600 or 1 minute on 7800.

The funny thing is fixing these things(5200/2600) is much more fun than playing them.

Your not feeding your woodchipper any rare games are you?

Anything higher than an R2?

Even common games like Robotron you can sell for some nice coin.

I think Berzerk was the last one I scrapped. Usually Al takes them when I get a bunch. I still have a Robotron, but I favor the A8 version over it and seldom play either.

Last one I destroyed was Qbert. I put that one under the left right rear tire on my Buick and hit the gas launching it into the river across the street. ;)

I think Berzerk was the last one I scrapped. Usually Al takes them when I get a bunch. I still have a Robotron, but I favor the A8 version over it and seldom play either.

Last one I destroyed was Qbert. I put that one under the left right rear tire on my Buick and hit the gas launching it into the river across the street. ;)

Yeah, i guess Big Al has no use for those Parker Bros. carts.

I got a dead Super Cobra.

I haven't scrapped it yet tho.