IGNORED

Atari's "My First Computer" for the 2600

boxpressed

An interesting article from Compute! in 1983 on the MFC is here. Did this thing make it into production?

Sadly, it never shipped. You can learn more about the MFC/Graduate here: http://www.atarihq.com/museum/2678/graduate.html

Or, if you have a technical bent, try this link: http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/consoles/2600/a3000.html

It was a really creative design. It significantly expanded the 2600's graphics capabilities, far beyond what should have been possible. Aside from some very basic experimentation on the Harmony, confirming that the MFC approach works, no game has ever shipped which pushed the 2600's graphics as far as MFC did.

It's a shame it was finished so late. By the time it was scheduled to ship, nobody was interested in a product like that. Also, in typical Atari fashion, the price was unrealistic. They never figured out how to make it profitable at $90 before it was killed off.

-KS

It probably would have been quite affordable if not for the feature bloat, and yes, it was certainly too late. (would have been interesting if Atari engineers/staff had started working on that soon after the release of the VCS -or even before release)

They ended up adding way, way too much to it . . . it probably would have been possible to make a decent basic/beginner computer from the VCS using something a bit like the starpath supercharger, but with a bit more RAM (or support for RAM expansion), a BIOS to support a basic text display and cassette loads and saves, and a keyboard interface (or a keyboard that plugged into the joy ports).

This was intended as a really basic/beginner system, so support for added peripherals probably wouldn't be necessary (printer, disk drive, etc), especially if Atari didn't want it to conflict with their higher-end machines. (assuming the A8 was on the market alongside it)

That might have been even more interesting for the European market, since it would mean potential popularization for tape based VCS games making the platform far more attractive and competitive with lower end computers. (and possibly 3rd party software -not that Atari would want that without licensing ;))

On another note, they also could have gone a different route with the VCS to computer conversion (especially if done early-on). Rather than an add-on, it could have been a modification of the base hardware (backwards compatible, but modified in ways not practical via the limited cart interface). Like replacing the 6507 with a 6502, adding a general purpose expansion port (perhaps really basic like the Spectrum or ZX81), more onboard RAM, built-in casette interface (probably software polled like the Apple/SInclair/Tandy/etc machines), a VCS cart slot, and a BIOS ROM supporting basic text display and tape operations -obviously all software managed. (perhaps a rudimentary OS/BASIC interpreter as well -like several other super low-end computers from the end of the70s or early 80s)

The ZX80/81 had even more limited hardware than the VCS in some respects, and the display was totally driven in software (with the CPU only working with the display disabled or -on the ZX80- working in vblank signaled by interrupts -if a a timer synced to vblank was added to the Atari system, it could take advantage of that too . . . otherwise CPU/display would be mutually exclusive or require specially timed software -like all VCS games are).

Such a machine might be actually weaker than a ZX81 in some respects (no 256 pixel/32 column text -though the VIC also couldn't do that), but obviously superior in audio and color capabilities. (and for games)

Even more interesting would have been if Atari had made such a computer prior to the A8, and built the A8 to be backwards compatible with the VCS-derived computer (and the VCS itself ;)) . . . something that shouldn't have been too far off from the existing A8 chipset, but would obviously have required a different engineering approach from the start of the project. (and VCS compatibility of the A8 would in turn have even more interesting implications on a potential consolized/low-end A8 derivative -probably more like the XEGS than the 5200, aside from the RAM content)

And then, all of that would have interesting implications for Atari's position on the market (potentially having a beginner computer that undercut the VIC-20 by a good margin -possibly in the same range as the ZX80/81 that was VCS compatible, plus the A8 being compatible with that earlier computer and the VCS . . . and the "5200" potentially being a directly compatible A8 derivative . . . possibly with limited expandability to separate it from the computer market more -like removing the SIO port, though maybe retaining RAM expansion -since the latter might still be useful for cart games even with tape/disk support omitted).

Granted, then there's still the layers of management issues that still might have screwed things up in other ways . . . though if the management end had gone smoothly enough to actually facilitate such a streamlined evolution of Atari's hardware, that already implies things were better off than they were historically. ;)

I notice in the ads for the Graduate / My First Computer, that it said it was supposed to have a version of Microsoft BASIC on it. I'm currently trying to find out anything I can about this from M$ themselves.

So far, I've been directed to sales and licensing... Twice...

CONTACT INFORMATION

First Name:INKY

PRODUCT

Other

QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS

Message: This question is a long shot, but back in 1983, Atari was about to release an add on for the Atari 2600 called the "Graduate" (or sometimes called "My First Computer", which was supposed to turn the 2600 into a computer.

According to the archives of some promotional materials I've seen, it was supposed to come with Microsoft Basic built in. Is there any more information on this version of MS BASIC? THere's a large atari community that would welcome any information on this missing piece of history.

Response...

Hello INKY,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Customer Service.

As a Customer Service Representative, I am here to assist you in finding the right place to get help with your questions and provide resources to resolve your concern.

I understand you would like to know information on 'Atari 2600 called the Graduate' which is supposed to come with Microsoft Basic. I will be glad to assist you.

Jim, for assistance with your regard I would request you to contact our Microsoft presales team directly at (800) 426-9400. Representatives are available from Monday through Friday, 6:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. Pacific Time.

I hope the above information is helpful, and please contact us if you have any additional customer service questions.

Thank you,

XXX

Edited by Inky