IGNORED

Is this C64 worth keeping?

boxpressed

Earlier in the summer, I bought a C64 package off eBay. I haven't been able to get the C64 to output a video signal, although the red power LED comes on. The 1702 monitor case cracked during shipping, so I got all of my money refunded. So now I've got the C64, the 1702, a 1541-II disk drive, and no idea what to do with it. If there's an easy fix, I'd like to give it a shot. But if not, I know lots of other worthy consoles that can use the space it is occupying.

The package came with what looks like a chroma/luma cable (monitor port on one end, red, white, and yellow RCA plugs on the other). Black screen when hooked up to the 1702. (The 1702 works fine using the composite input on the front with other systems.) I then tried the RF port and connected the C64 to a TV -- static. After some research, I opened the C64 to check to see if all of the chips were in their sockets and whether the fuse had blown. Everything seemed normal (although the paper RF shield is kind of scary). So, my best guess is that I have a bad power supply.

The 1541-II powers on and is connected via serial cable. Even though I can't see anything on the screen, is there some quick sequence I can type in (assuming that the C64 has booted to BASIC) to see if it is accessing the disk drive? I just want to know if the C64 is DOA with the exception of the power LED. Thanks for any advice/tips.

My C64 is doing the same thing.

Black Screen...

There's a few things to try (if you have a cart, try starting it with the cart, try turning it on/off and note what it does, etc)..

But it could be several things...

My money on mine is the CIA chip, which is soldered to the board.

Now, I could desolder and remove them and see what happens, but sounds like a lot of work for something that might or might not be the issue..

PLA's are likely.

Could be memory or PSU or SID.. (All "might" produce black screen if bad)

(See, it could be almost anything.. ;-)

Things to check:

http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm/c64blank.txt

I don't have a cartridge to test and I've never seen anything other than a black screen..

Good luck..

desiv

• Like 1

Thanks -- that's a really helpful link. I'm beginning to think that this C64 may not be worth saving, given my lack of skill with a soldering iron. Trying a different power supply may be the extent of my troubleshooting prowess.

One question: Does yours output a blank screen via RF? Mine outputs nothing via RF, so the static on the screen remains unchanged. The 1702 shows a blank screen regardless of whether the C64 is hooked to it or not.

Earlier in the summer, I bought a C64 package off eBay. I haven't been able to get the C64 to output a video signal, although the red power LED comes on. The 1702 monitor case cracked during shipping, so I got all of my money refunded. So now I've got the C64, the 1702, a 1541-II disk drive, and no idea what to do with it. If there's an easy fix, I'd like to give it a shot. But if not, I know lots of other worthy consoles that can use the space it is occupying.

The package came with what looks like a chroma/luma cable (monitor port on one end, red, white, and yellow RCA plugs on the other). Black screen when hooked up to the 1702. (The 1702 works fine using the composite input on the front with other systems.) I then tried the RF port and connected the C64 to a TV -- static. After some research, I opened the C64 to check to see if all of the chips were in their sockets and whether the fuse had blown. Everything seemed normal (although the paper RF shield is kind of scary). So, my best guess is that I have a bad power supply.

The 1541-II powers on and is connected via serial cable. Even though I can't see anything on the screen, is there some quick sequence I can type in (assuming that the C64 has booted to BASIC) to see if it is accessing the disk drive? I just want to know if the C64 is DOA with the exception of the power LED. Thanks for any advice/tips.

The cable is definitely for the rear connection of Chroma Luma and Audio. Be sure the plugs color match to the back of the monitor. Maybe the switch in back of the monitor is bad? With the C64 powered on and plugged in the back, slide that switch a few times. Put a little side pressure while you are doing this. To verify on the TV, double check on channels 2, 3 and 4. Slide the modulator switch on the C64 back and forth too.

The C64 has built in basic as soon as you turn it on.

The command for the disk drive:

LOAD"$",8 for a disc directory.

LOAD"*",8,1 to load a disk

Note that the C64 defaults to caps on, so do not hold the SHIFT key. If you see the red light on the drive and hear the drive rattle after hitting the ENTER key.

Edited by CRTGAMER
  • Like 1

One question: Does yours output a blank screen via RF? Mine outputs nothing via RF, so the static on the screen remains unchanged. The 1702 shows a blank screen regardless of whether the C64 is hooked to it or not.

I have to test that still.

RF is downstairs and requires quite a bit of fiddling to get to..

(The TV upstairs is wall mounted and the only way to get to the back is a hassle. But the wall mount was only $10. ;-) )

I'll test RF tonight maybe..

desiv

Edited by desiv

The cable is definitely for the rear connection of Chroma Luma and Audio. Be sure the plugs color match to the back of the monitor. Maybe the switch in back of the monitor is bad? With the C64 powered on and plugged in the back, slide that switch a few times. Put a little side pressure while you are doing this. To verify on the TV, double check on channels 2, 3 and 4. Slide the modulator switch on the C64 back and forth too.

The C64 has built in basic as soon as you turn it on.

The command for the disk drive:

LOAD"$",8 for a disc directory.

LOAD"*",8,1 to load a disk

Note that the C64 defaults to caps on, so do not hold the SHIFT key. If you see the red light on the drive and hear the drive rattle after hitting the ENTER key.

Thanks for the tips. I tried all of those things, and no go. When I turn the C64 off and then on again, the disk drive does spin and its green light comes on momentarily (the drive's red power light is already on). This makes me think that the serial port knows something is attached. But I tried typing in those commands -- blind -- using SHIFT only for the " and the $ or *, but nothing (I even tried not using SHIFT at all). Maybe this means that I'm not booting into BASIC.

Had some fun playing Yar's Revenge on the 1702 with my FB2+ though. :)

The package came with what looks like a chroma/luma cable (monitor port on one end, red, white, and yellow RCA plugs on the other). Black screen when hooked up to the 1702. (The 1702 works fine using the composite input on the front with other systems.) I then tried the RF port and connected the C64 to a TV -- static. So, my best guess is that I have a bad power supply.

A few things you might try.

The cable could be composite. Those existed too, but it's highly unlikely with the color of the cord and the c64 is mono audio. I'm guessing you tried different combination of the RCAs on your inputs. Maybe try the Yellow RCA on the front of the 1702 and see if you get a B/W signal. Something could be wrong with the inputs on the back since you are getting composite on the front with other devices.

There is a switch on the back of the c64 that says H-L or Hi-Low. That is for video signal output. You might have better luck with the RF if you have it on Low and better luck with the composite/chromaLuna on High.

Check the pins of the PS with a multimeter rather than buying a PS and that not being the problem. The black bricks that came with the c64's are very unreliable at their age now.

If you get the drive to spin with a LOAD command then there is something wrong with the video signal output. I doubt that is the problem. Most of the time it's the power supply. And the rest of the time, it's a faulty chip.

B

Missed the last part of the post :dunce: I had left this thread up some time ago to respond when I had the time.

Sounds like now all you need to do is check the PS. If it's good, then it's a chip.

On another note, sounds like your 1541ii is in good working order. I like those more than the 1541's. Just so much smaller.

B

Edited by bigbee99

Thanks for the tips. I tried all of those things, and no go. When I turn the C64 off and then on again, the disk drive does spin and its green light comes on momentarily (the drive's red power light is already on). This makes me think that the serial port knows something is attached. But I tried typing in those commands -- blind -- using SHIFT only for the " and the $ or *, but nothing (I even tried not using SHIFT at all). Maybe this means that I'm not booting into BASIC.

Had some fun playing Yar's Revenge on the 1702 with my FB2+ though. :)

The monitor is handy for PS1 link games.

You are correct, the " * $ are entered with shift on. Basic is in the rom, the C64 normally would be ready within a couple seconds. Since the power on affected the disk drive and the disk basic commands and screen does not work, likely a dead C64.

A shame, maybe another on on EBay somewhere or hit up fibrewire.

Edited by CRTGAMER

• 2 weeks later...

I just fixed a C64 that had a bad PLA and a bad SID. Ironically, the SID would not let the thing boot up even after changing the PLA. If you have no other C64 around, pull the SID (MOS 6581 chip) and boot it to see if that works. The bad SID that I have will keep an otherwise good C64 from booting. It must be shorted inside. If you just want to sell the C64 for a few bucks, let me know. I have another one that I need to fix.

Of course, this thread is old, so disregard if you already got rid of it :-)