IGNORED

Converting between .ATR formats?

jmetal88

I downloaded an .ATR file today that appears to be structured like a tiny 64kb hard drive. I would like to write it to a physical single-density diskette using AtariSIO, but it says the disk format is not supported.

So what I'm wondering is, how would I go about converting this 64kb hard drive image to a 90kb single-density .ATR?

Edited by jmetal88

I downloaded an .ATR file today that appears to be structured like a tiny 64kb hard drive. I would like to write it to a physical single-density diskette using AtariSIO, but it says the disk format is not supported.

So what I'm wondering is, how would I go about converting this 64kb hard drive image to a 90kb single-density .ATR?

This type of .ATR file is called a K-FILE atr that is created by an old 'MS-DOS' program Makeatr by Ken Siders.

Found at the bottom of this site: http://atari.kensclassics.org/a8emulators.html

Edited by rdea6

Well,

if the "shortened" ATR was created with Ken Sider`s MakeATR.EXE utility, one can simply use UnMakeATR.EXE to re-create the XEX / COM file again. If however another method was used (e.g. XBoot by FoX) this UnMakeATR tool will not help. One can also use a good sector copier on the 800/XL/XE to correct these shortened ATR images, e.g. MyCopier 1.x or 2.x - this copy program will continue reading if errors occur (whenever data is missing or a disk is copy protected) and when it finally writes the disk, it will write empty sectors for all the error sectors, just what we need in the case of shortened ATR images...

-Andreas Koch.

SECTCOPY.zip

Oh,

and just in case, SIO2PC can generate 64k ATR images (allthough 64k A8 disks do not exist, maybe it was implemented to simulate 64k ramdisks); if they were filedisks, they do have a VTOC and DIR but sectors beyond 512 are missing...

Last not least, the old SIO2PC version 3.x (the software) had a strange bug, it created ED disks with a length of 140kybtes (143,xxx sectors). Thats no problem for any emulator, but whenever you try to copy such an image back to a real A8 disk, you (most of the time) get a problem with the sectorcopy program, because it sees such a disk as single density (90k) which is not the case... My-Copyr 1.x is your friend here, the older version lets you set "Enhanced Density" manually. Whenever you use this program, always set the Enhanced Density option to "on", it will try to read sector 1040 and if successfull it will write out a 130k disk; if sector 1040 is not readable it will write a 90k or 180k disk.

If I remember correctly one could do a re-boot (coldstart the A8) in My-Copier 2.x by holding Shift-B (or Control-B) and then pressing Start to continue or Option to abort. Maybe this works in My-Copyr 1.x also...

-Andreas Koch.

MYCOPY.ZIP

This type of .ATR file is called a K-FILE atr that is created by an old 'MS-DOS' program Makeatr by Ken Siders.

Found at the bottom of this site: http://atari.kenscla...8emulators.html

ATRUtil95 should also let you extract the original executable.

K-Boot disks display a K in the upper left when the program loads.

--Ken