IGNORED

Intv System Changer Mith or Fact?...

ooXxXoo

Today, I got my good old Intv III system (Av & changer modded) out of the closet, and my Intv System changer too... I couldn't help to notice on the back of Intv system changer box the following text:

"Uses the hand controllers of your Intellivision or Intellivision II Master component, or the Intellivision joystick controllers..Or plug in Atari 2600 compatible joysticks or paddle controllers."

Is this just a myth or fact?, I mean my Intv III, my original Intv and my Intv II controllers doesn't seem to be able to play the system changer or be compatible with it for that matter..

Any thoughts?..

HPIM3113.JPG

I want to know this as well. Been trying to get an answer on this for a while now. Here is a quote i posted in a similar topic not long ago but never got a response from anybody if they tried it or not.

You cant play atari 2600 games with the intellivision controller!

Found more proof taken right from the manual itself.

http://spatula-city....ls/schanger.txt

Using the Master Component Hand Controllers

1. You can play Atari 2600-compatible games with your Intellivision Hand

Controllers on the Master Component. After RESET simply press the Hand

Controller Disc to initialize the System. Then begin game play. Atari

Joystick Controllers are not required. However, should the game require

Paddle Controllers, you must use those (sold separately).

• Like 1

I can confirm that this works fine for me. I can play with the intellivision controllers. My combination is:

Atari Game: Adventures of Tron

Intellivision 2

System Changer

sears Video arcade Controllers plugged into the intellivision 2, not the system changer.

Maybe it's an intv 2 thing?

Edit:

Regular intv 2 controllers plugged in to intv2 work as well.

Neither intv 2 or sears video controller works if plugged directly into the system changer.

Atari controllers work properly when connected directly to the changer.

My system changer doesn't work with my intv 1 at all.

Edited by crade
  • Like 1

I can confirm that this works fine for me. I can play with the intellivision controllers. My combination is:

Intellivision 2

System Changer

sears Video arcade Controllers plugged into the intellivision 2, not the system changer.

Edit:

Neither intv 2 or sears video controller works if plugged directly into the system changer.

That's interesting, and thanks for clearing that up! So the Intellivision controllers will work if they are plugged into the Intellivision console itself, and not the System Changer, yes? Strange, but also pretty cool since you apparently don't have to remove the controllers, which is a pain, even with the Intellivision II.

I was almost certain that Intellivision II controllers didn't work with the System Changer, despite occasionally reading that they did. I tried plugging my Intellivision II controllers into my System Changer (+INTVII) once, which seemed odd since they have that 45-degree connector and they don't sit right; some things worked, but it wasn't really playable. I never thought to just leave the controllers plugged into the console!

But on the other hand...why would you want to play Atari games with an Intellivision controller? :P :-D

:)

That's interesting, and thanks for clearing that up! So the Intellivision controllers will work if they are plugged into the Intellivision console itself, and not the System Changer, yes? Strange, but also pretty cool since you apparently don't have to remove the controllers, which is a pain, even with the Intellivision II.

That's the way they would have had to design it in order for it to be compatible with the original Intellivision, since its controllers are not removable (without opening the console). The original Intellivision still required a modification to use the System Changer, but I believe that was because the original cartridge port didn't provide a video input, not because of the controllers.

The System Changer is basically a fancy Intellivision cartridge with a 2600 clone built into it, so there's probably a little bit of Intellivision software running in the background which listens for hand controller input and translates it into joystick inputs for the 2600 hardware.

Intellivision 2

System Changer

Edit:

My system changer doesn't work with my intv 1 at all.

No that I want you to prove anything but, can you do some sort of video with your changer and INTV2 controllers in action?.. I'd really love to see that..

Well, I took my changer apart and found a leaky capacitor, replaced but it didn't improved anything with the controller situation, other than helping some noise issue...

Here's a photo of the intellivision changer board in case you are wondering what it is made of= glob tops :woozy: :

HPIM3118.JPG