IGNORED

Is Donkey Kong Jr salvageable?

lucifershalo

Donkey Kong graphics and with only 2 levels is not amazing but still fun to play

( still waiting for someone to propose a homebrew with the 4 levels)

But is the COMPLETE MESS called Donkey Kong Jr salvageable do you know

or a complete re-programming is necessary?

I would applaude and BUY a programmer that would offer those 2 games in a better way for the 2600

• Like 1

A Hack could improve the graphics drastically pending on the artistic abilities of the of designer. To add more levels would really take a complete reprogramming of both games and I don't see that ever happening because of how tightly Nintendo keeps control over their copyrights.

Now could someone make a game that has the same premise with different characters . . . sure.

Donkey Kong graphics and with only 2 levels is not amazing but still fun to play

( still waiting for someone to propose a homebrew with the 4 levels)

That's been on my todo list for a long time, though I'd be calling it Congorilla or perhaps taking the Pesco approach and putting in different characters entirely (for example, I think it'd be funny to make "Super Pick Axe Pete" and have it just be Donkey Kong with stick figures). If I were actually going there, I'd love to include the 4 new levels from D2K as well.

But the most recent VCS code I've written was for my Ballblazer demo in 2005, which has since been made very redundant by roland p's incredible work recently. So I would bet on someone else getting there before me. The Harmony cart is the only reason it's been on my mind again lately, and I've yet to even try a Hello World with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally i dont think a graphic hack will help as the sprites are already fairly good for the 2600 ,only the alligator's sprite looks bad. Note that i said sprite as it is just one sprite that reverses making it look like two. So in other words i say it would need to be coded just for that simple graphic hack.

Other then that to add vine restructure with two additional stages the game would need a complete work over.

Would be impressive and nice to see none the less