IGNORED

Activision Anthology in development for 8 years?!?!?

Fretwobbler

Just been re-claiming some room in my house and come accross some old PC mags, in particular, the January 1995 issue of PC Format (UK mag).

I'll quote the text from the mag -

At the time of going to press, rumours are rife that Activision are planning to launch an Atari 2600 Emulator with a compilation of classic games ready to run, provisionally titled The Lost Treasures of Activision {i prefer the anthology name myself :) }. Its thought there will be 10 games in the bundle including Kaboom, River Raid and Pitfall. Expected for release next spring {thats spring '96 folks!} the price of the bundle has yet to be fixed.

If Ken's reading this I'd love to know if this was true at the time. If it is true, the Anthology must hold the world record for the videogame that spent the longest time in development :).

I'd scan the article for you with pictures an all but erm, i dont have a scanner.

Did anyone else JUMP on those Activision packs for the pc like I did? They came out before there was a good 2600 emulator available (I think there was one that was really early in development.. pc26?.. anyway I couldn't get it to work). But that Activision pack worked great on my good old Windows 3.11 :P However, if I remember correctly it'd only play 16k roms and of course only Activision ones (I particularly remember Frostbite).

So what I'd do is take other roms, rename them to "frostbite.bin" (or whatever the filename was) and voila! Instant 2600 emulation goodness for most any rom. I think I used a program to resize smaller roms to 16k as well. For some games it worked great, for others it was a little wonky.

Anyway.. It's funny now, but it just goes to show the lengths we used to go to to play a simple game of Adventure or 2600 Crystal Castles on the pc. We really do have it good these days. But are we spoiled?... nah :P

I bought all three Action Packs. It rekindled my interests and lead to my collected the real carts.

Wow, it never occured to me to play other games on the Action Packs. But then, I had no idea how to load a cart onto a computer back then. Hell, I still don't know exactly--but yes, I do know it's called ROM dumping.

I was not ever sure it really was emulating the games since the games seemed a bit off.