IGNORED

The GBA I'd like to see

Channel 2

I'm not much into modern gaming systems, but I've taken an interest in the Gameboy Advance recently, and I'm struck by the emphasis put on case color. Glacier, platinum, fuchsia, whatever, but also imports, and special models from Toys 'r Us, the Pokemon Center, and so on, with the retailer's logo and the like. It would be cool to have a John Deere model, a la the John Deere 2600 hoax.

But what I'd really love is an Atari GBA in woodgrain and black from infogrames. And after I thought of that, it occurred to me that it might even be feasable. Infogrames/Atari does a fair amount of publishing for the GBA, and the Atari library seems apt for exploitation on it, though I've heard dissapointing things about the Atari Anniversary Edition. The Atari retro theme might be significant enough that they would consider offering an Atari branded GBA. What do you think?

True but no paddles :sad:

Yeah, paddles really were a great idea. I can't even imagine trying to play Kaboom! with anything other than paddles. I wish the game companies would realize this! I bet a company with modern electrical parts could make modern paddles for very cheap too.

But what I'd really love is an Atari GBA in woodgrain and black from infogrames. And after I thought of that, it occurred to me that it might even be feasable.

There's a site at http://www.gbamod.com that offers skins that you can apply to the face of the GBA. I don't know how the overall quality is, as I haven't tried it myself--I just know that the site exists.

There's one called "Antique" that has a woodgrain look. You can also request a design of your own.

Infogrames/Atari does a fair amount of publishing for the GBA, and the Atari library seems apt for exploitation on it, though I've heard dissapointing things about the Atari Anniversary Edition.

Atari Anniversary Advance for GBA is quite good. I wrote a review on Yahoo!, which you can read if you click here. It's the one titled "Genuine Atari Arcade Games in your pocket" (although the "t" at the end got cut off somehow).

Here's what I was thinking. Nintendo really needs to make a retro Game Boy Advance that, when closed, is indistinguishable from their folding Game and Watches from the early 80's. Those games were so stylish, especially with the shiny bronze strips on the front of the cases.

JR

Here's what I was thinking. Nintendo really needs to make a retro Game Boy Advance that, when closed, is indistinguishable from their folding Game and Watches from the early 80's.

I hear ya. With a "Game And Watch Gallery 4" pack in. That wauld be too sweet.

Here's what I was thinking.  Nintendo really needs to make a retro Game Boy Advance that, when closed, is indistinguishable from their folding Game and Watches from the early 80's.

People have said that the new GBA SP reminds them of a multiscreen G&W. Actually, with the SP Nintendo is starting to target an older audience, so maybe they would consider a series of retro styled GBAs.

Another thing I'd like to see is a GBA-based tabletop, with a bright backlit screen, good sound, and maybe some optional controller attachments like a real joystick, a programmable keypad, paddles and/or trackball that works like the Atari driving controller, etc. It should plug into the wall, but maybe it could have a rechargeable built in too. Make it compact as possible for portability but still cool looking.

This thread has lost whatever on-topicness it may once have had. Maybe it's time to move it?

That actually sounds pretty cool.  We're talking about a Game Boy Advance that would look just like a Coleco tabletop, right?  I'd be interested in something like that.

No, no, don't end the thread... it's just getting good!

Coleco Tabletop is the general idea, but the best option would be to have a minimalistic GBA core, and a variety of 'cabinets' to encase it in to choose from. The exterior would be the cheap part, if controllers are also a seperate item, so you could have a lot of them, maybe one for each game.

Come to think of it, you wouldn't have to wait for Nintendo to get around to it, someone with a little skill ought to be able to design one with available LCD screens and GBA motherboards and so on. Maybe that would be a good project for Triton Labs if the SP starts to eat into Afterburner sales.

I think if you move a thread, it still shows up in the original forum with "MOVED:" in the topic as well as in the new one.

Coleco-tabletop-style GBA: Lik-Sang was actually selling a drop-in case for the GBC that made it seem very much like a Coleco tabletop game (actually, more like Epoch Galaxy II or the Adventurevision.) Except since the GBC wasn't backlit and the lights this thing used were two really dim flashlight bulbs, it really kinda sucked. I started messing with mounting my Photon light inside the thing with no luck. Too bad, because I think it would have been pretty effective. Obviously the GBA is the wrong form factor, but the GBASP (or whatever it ends up being called) seems even more amenable to that sort of thing than the GBC was.

GBA with all manner of peripherals: Part of the hype when the GBA was first announced was that you would be able to get peripherals to do web and email (sometimes they said it'd be wireless), which to me means they would have at least been shipping a keyboard. Someone actually did make an aftermarket email cartridge for the GBC that worked by dialing up some proprietary service, but I haven't seen anything like it for the GBA, nor any of the PDA-like stuff they also were talking about at the trade shows. I did get the TV tuner for my niece from Lik-Sang and it works surprisingly well (and now they're selling them at my local Gamestop) and there are all manner of lights and rumble packs out there for the GBA, but Colecovision it ain't.

Rob