IGNORED

Shameful Gamer Confessions

MagitekAngel

Played Yar's Revenge for 9 hours straight, finally turning it over 1,000,000 points only to realize it just takes you back at the starting level. :mad:

Paid $30 for Haunted House when it was new. Played it because it was scary as hell!

Bought a Vectrex brand new along with all the release titles, got tired of it and traded it for a pair of headers for my 70 Challenger. :-o

When asked "Mary-Ann or Ginger" I say Laura Croft! :twisted:

Funny thread! :lol:

- I liked (and still do) playing Sex-Games and Party Girls on the C64.

- Several years ago i used to play Slot Racers, Freeway, Air-Sea Battle and Combat on the 2600 with my then GF and i lost most times... :_(

- I used to throw my Joystick/Joypad at the wall when i was mad/frustrated about a game (smashed quite a few C64 Joysticks and SNES-Pads).

- I bought Hyper V-Ball for the SNES and Chaos Control for the Saturn (Fortunately they were both cheap).

Hm. No shoplifting here, though I did get my 5200 from a Goodwill with individually priced controllers in the caddy, only to get home and find that the cashier, amidst all my other purchases that day, had missed the controllers because they were inside the console. I intended to go back with the receipt and deal with it, but never got around to it. I still feel guilty about it.

-The first JRPG I ever finished was Enchanted Arm.

-I own about 100 JRPGs across several systems. I've played about 20 of them. I've finished about 1. (Enchanted Arm.)

-I rarely finish games I start. I lose interest too quickly. I have a list of games I'm about 3 hours away from completing that I never have.

-I use my 3DO to play CDs way more than I use it to play games (It's hooked up to my receiver after all...)

-I mostly only play Tetris on my Gameboy despite having about 60 games across GB, GBC and GBA

-In 1993, I bought a computer game a year before I had a computer to play it on.

-I once bought a Atari 7800 fridge magnet of a picture of the Ninja Golf box on e-bay because I didn't bother to read the description well enough to realize it was a fridge magnet not a game. (I guess it's not that bad, that magnet gets comments.)

-The only reason I have an Xbox360 is because I got it free when I bought a laptop. My fiance was taking ONE Summer class at a nearby college, but it wasapparently enough to qualify at Best Buy... not that we gave the guy too many details. Her college ID was valid.

Not as shameful as some, but I am pretty ashamed of my bad completion ratio. I'm much better at completing PC games than console ones.

Edited by Lendorien

I remembered one that is actually current...

Despite not knowing how to play real Mahjong, I continually purchase hentai Mahjong games, mostly for Japanese Saturn.

Yeah I play around with those as well. You can 'get by' if you know the basic rules, but it's a lot tougher than it should be. Still, for some reason it's a lot of fun.

• 1 month later...

I loath Final Fantasy 7.

The game was 50+ hours of bland, generic, simultaneously boring and convoluted torture. Most of the characters including Cloud were (to me) completely unlikable, the gameplay is mediocre at best and the storyline tries to pass of being angsty and convoluted as "deep". I can see why it was so successful at the time, from a technological and stylistic standpoint it must have seemed revolutionary to most players (especially western players) back in the day. Not only was it a full RPG in 3D (or what passed for 3D) but anime/"Japanimation" style was still largely a new, novel and exotic thing in N. America.

I can understand how the game had an effect on younger gamers, combined with the "wow factor" it had on release, angsty heroes "trying to find their true selves" are a lot more appealing when you're say 11 then the age I was when I played it. And I totally respect that a lot of people still love it for nostalgia's sake. But IMO -as a game- it's a perfect example of something which was built to sell solely on graphics and style, both of which then aged terribly.

Because of coming into the dedicated hobby of gaming relatively later in life (I'm in my twenties, but I played very few games in my childhood and teen years) and pesky real-life conflicts, I still haven't beaten some of my favorite games. Including classic standards like Secret of Mana, Castlevania 3 and Super Mario Bros.

Edited by Ratty
  • Like 1

- when i was younger and obviously had NOTHING to do, i spent a few hours trying to "make up" game genie codes for Mega Man III (original gameboy). the sad thing is i successfully found an invincibility code.

- at the age of 8, myself and best friend made a home movie called Bomberman Brothers. i wore a blue sweatsuit and my dad's bike helmet. my best friend wore an all-red sweatsuit. we shot this goddamn thing (my dad was the cameraman) in the middle of summer. my cool "step into and alley and draw out my gun" scene resulted in me stepping in dog crap and almost doing a split. we wrote and recorded a rap song called "Bombmachine" backed to an instrumental version of Young MC's Principal's Office. it's sooo dope. i doubt it.

-around the age of 9, i convinced my family and all my friends that i "made a game" by sending in my idea/characters/story to NOA. everyone believed me, which made them love Street Fighter 2010: The Final Fight more than your average gamer (or non-gamer).

- my first car had a Toad figure in the rear window. my current car has a vintage Pac-Man on the front dash. i almost bought a NSMB-Wii 'Yellow Toad' today from Target to add to Pac-Man but the wife said no.

- i jam to 8-bit and 16-bit music in my car, but only when my wife isn't in it. i like rolling down my windows, cranking up the bass, and blaring Mystic Cave from Sonic 2 at red lights

- i actually got teary-eyed at the ending of Zelda: Link's Awakening (gb) and Klonoa: Door To Phantomile (ps1)

- i prefer "cute" game graphics over blood/gore. it shows in my clothing choices. i frequently wear T-shirts with Kirby and Mega Man on them.

- i have way too many sealed Wii/DS/360 games

- in 2007 (i think), i paid $300 on fleabay for a sealed copy of Bomberman II (nes)

- i hoard 80s/90s electronic LED/LCD games from tomy/tiger/konami/acclaim/etc.

- bought Pokemon Soulsilver because of the Pokewalker device...

- okay, maybe i'm a closet Pokemon fan. i also have Platinum.

Edited by bomberpunk
  • Like 2

- when i was younger and obviously had NOTHING to do, i spent a few hours trying to "make up" game genie codes for Mega Man III (original gameboy). the sad thing is i successfully found an invincibility code.

Win.

- at the age of 8, myself and best friend made a home movie called Bomberman Brothers. i wore a blue sweatsuit and my dad's bike helmet. my best friend wore an all-red sweatsuit. we shot this goddamn thing (my dad was the cameraman) in the middle of summer. my cool "step into and alley and draw out my gun" scene resulted in me stepping in dog crap and almost doing a split. we wrote and recorded a rap song called "Bombmachine" backed to an instrumental version of Young MC's Principal's Office. it's sooo dope. i doubt it.

...Mostly win.

-around the age of 9, i convinced my family and all my friends that i "made a game" by sending in my idea/characters/story to NOA. everyone believed me, which made them love Street Fighter 2010: The Final Fight more than your average gamer (or non-gamer).

Epic Win/Troll.

- my first car had a Toad figure in the rear window. my current car has a vintage Pac-Man on the front dash. i almost bought a NSMB-Wii 'Yellow Toad' today from Target to add to Pac-Man but the wife said no.

Screw the wife, get the toad! It's your car, isn't it?

- i jam to 8-bit and 16-bit music in my car, but only when my wife isn't in it. i like rolling down my windows, cranking up the bass, and blaring Mystic Cave from Sonic 2 at red lights

If I heard you coming down the street like that, I'd run up and high-five you through the window.

- i actually got teary-eyed at the ending of Zelda: Link's Awakening (gb) and Klonoa: Door To Phantomile (ps1)

You got me there on Link's Awakening.

- i prefer "cute" game graphics over blood/gore. it shows in my clothing choices. i frequently wear T-shirts with Kirby and Mega Man on them.

That's fine by me.

- i have way too many sealed Wii/DS/360 games

Hoping they'll go up in value, or have you just acquired a bunch of games you have no interest in playing?

- in 2007 (i think), i paid $300 on fleabay for a sealed copy of Bomberman II (nes)

. . .

- i hoard 80s/90s electronic LED/LCD games from tomy/tiger/konami/acclaim/etc.

I used to collect lanyards. Let's compare loser badges; I bet mine's bigger and shinier.

- bought Pokemon Soulsilver because of the Pokewalker device...

I haven't yet, but I want to. For precisely that reason.

- okay, maybe i'm a closet Pokemon fan. i also have Platinum.

But do you have two copies of Pokemon Snap?

- I own a Tiger R-Zone XPG, because my parents wouldn't let me have a Game Boy. I still have it.

- I harbor a huge crush on Rydia from Final Fantasy IV (from the 2nd half of the game, you perves!).

- I didn't beat Final Fantasy I until I played it on an emulator with a fast-forward button.

- I still love Pokemon.

- I still haven't beaten Super Mario Bros!

- When my brain is fried from studying, I play video games. I still have yet to recover this semester.

- I bought Strider II for Sega Genesis off eBay just because the seller combined shipping.

How's about this one - I haven't played a videogame in over a month. I'm not even sure what is in my systems right now. Granted I'm in home transition, but I haven't even touched the DS's. I have just been making music in my free time. Basically, I am afraid of falling into a sadness coma that I could only sustain in highschool where I didn't need to support myself; namely that of curling up into a ratty comforter, drinking hot cocoa, listening to "mellon collie" by the pumpkins on repeat and playing FF3/6 until every character was level 99, even Gau, Umaro and ?!x&?, trying to fill in Relm, Gau and Gramp's lists, and other such... completist wastery.

How's about this one - I haven't played a videogame in over a month. I'm not even sure what is in my systems right now. Granted I'm in home transition, but I haven't even touched the DS's. I have just been making music in my free time. Basically, I am afraid of falling into a sadness coma that I could only sustain in highschool where I didn't need to support myself; namely that of curling up into a ratty comforter, drinking hot cocoa, listening to "mellon collie" by the pumpkins on repeat and playing FF3/6 until every character was level 99, even Gau, Umaro and ?!x&?, trying to fill in Relm, Gau and Gramp's lists, and other such... completist wastery.

I certainly understand that feeling. . . and I know very well how it can get in the way of everything else! You're a wiser man than I to notice its approach and take measures to resist it!

- I have only beaten one game : Halo and it took me 2 straight weeks non-stop after having play that already for one year.

- I claimed to be Fifa Master, but my nephew who is 9, started kicking my ass since last december.

- When people talk about beating up games, I change the topic, since I never did,except for that one time with Halo.

- I have used strategy guides for games.

- I claimed once when I was kid that i had beaten Pac-man, but I never did.

- lots of arcade classics, I was never able to pass the first or second level, without "Continue"

- I download games in Xbox Live and then I never play them.

- I get bored quickly of games I buy, when they need to spend lots of time.

- I bought other Halo games, to only play it once.

- There have been times, with games, even with "continue" that I was stock and I was never able to pass the specific stage.

I never managed to get past the second or third mission in I-War (aka Independence War in North America: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-War_%28Independence_War%29). So I fired up the trusty hex editor, spelunked in the save files and wrote a save game editor. Probably the only one in the world for that game. This made me skip every mission I couldn't complete which were pretty much all...

I used to steal game manuals, not the games, but manuals. Back in the olden days, games weren't shrinkwrapped, so you could easily open the top and look inside.

I know what you are thinking, "Why not just take the game, too?" I guess I felt that taking the manual wasn't as bad, even if I knew that if someone was to buy one of the games they would bring the game back to the store.

So if you bought a 2600 game from a certain Kay-Bee, Sears, or Target store in Louisville, Kentucky and it was missing it's manual or catalog, it was me and I'm sorry :)

My other shameful confession is that I often will play Dragon Quest (my favorite series, btw) games to the halfway point, just to put them down for months on end, then pick the game up again. I'm currently sitting on DQ VI, but I'm not in the mood to play it right now. I have to be in a certain mood to power grind it out in a DQ game, even though I love the games.

Excellent point !

- I have only beaten one game : Halo and it took me 2 straight weeks non-stop after having play that already for one year.

- I claimed once when I was kid that i had beaten Pac-man, but I never did.

How do we know you're telling the truth about Halo, then?

One was as a kid, the other one as an adult. Since I have no need to prove anything as an adult, I guess it could be different.

However, it is not important for anyone to believe or not believe what I say. It is for me :)

nevertheless, excellent observation.

- I've only ever had one broken bone in my life. And it was because of anger at a video game. The second Koopa Race on Super Mario 64. I kept long jumping off the cliffs or getting blown off course by wind. I punched the floor next to me and broke my hand. I told everyone I was running for the phone and accidentally hit a door.

- I still remember my best friend and I staying up all night playing and finally beating a rented game. We actually saw the sun come up in the morning while getting fresh air on his back patio. That isn't necessarily shameful, but when you add in the fact that the game was Mickey Mousecapade...

- Every time I get a new game, the first thing I do is take the manual to the bathroom and read it while sitting on the toilet. With games lately, this has not been very satisfying as the quality of manuals have really gone down the shitter...

- When my daughter was about four or so, I tried teaching her how to play Mario Kart Double Dash on the 2 player vs game. I never let her win.