IGNORED

SIO2PC-USB, Sloopy Edition mkII

sloopy

Perhaps MK I is APE compatible?

I ask this because if MK I doesn't have any advantage I don't see why someone should prefer to have a cartridge around...

no, it isnt... it seems APE compatible is hit or miss... even the same usb adaptor here and at another place can give different results... when i use APE with my mkI, it will boot to realDOS in 1x with delays every 2-3 sectors loaded, and two people i have sold mkI's to, have said APE will load at 1x, but slowly (one person said it delays slightly each sector, the other said it delays ever 5-6 sectors...), and when they use AspeQt, the adaptors scream along at 3x with no problems at all...

also someone who bought the same usb board i use in the mkI, APE works fine for them at 1x, but wont at 2x or 3x (they wont try AspeQt, since they prefer APE)...

so what ever it is, it is quite odd... i have put the lines on my Logic Analyzer, and i cant really see much issue, so i am not sure what is causing the issue...

sloopy.

Hi guys. Received the sio2usb from sloopy recently but i have not managed to find a proper driver for win xp yet! So the device is not being recocgnized :-( does anyone knows where to find this fd232r usb driver? Or does the dvd provided by sloopy (shipped with it) contains somewhere this driver?

Any help would be appreciated.

Unfotunately i only have Windows XP, and a Vista machine at my disposal to use, so & i cant do much testing... In XP i only had to tell it to check online for drivers and it finds them (Linux has them natively also, Ubuntu, Fedora tested.),

your DVD only has AspeQt for windows on it, as thats the old version.

also to everyone else, they havnt shipped yet, ndial was the one who got the dev samples that are in the pics for this thread. Everything is in except the PCB's which i am waiting for...

thanks,

sloopy.

Hey my pictured SIO2USB dev sample fellas are quite popular then!

Thanks sloopy, for the info.

But, the driver for Win XP (version 2.08.14 for x86 (32-bit)) I've found at the http://tinyurl.com/445llkc (as kindly skr noted above) did not worked for me.

Using this driver, the SIO2USB was recognized and installed on XP, but when running i.e. the newer version of AspeQt, then mount an ATR etc, the Atari did not found to have a disk mounted (looked like there is no communication between PC and Atari).

Can you please send me the driver that worked for you under XP? This may probably be the proper driver while the one I've found is wrong, who knows! ;)

Hey my pictured SIO2USB dev sample fellas are quite popular then!

Thanks sloopy, for the info.

But, the driver for Win XP (version 2.08.14 for x86 (32-bit)) I've found at the http://tinyurl.com/445llkc (as kindly skr noted above) did not worked for me.

Using this driver, the SIO2USB was recognized and installed on XP, but when running i.e. the newer version of AspeQt, then mount an ATR etc, the Atari did not found to have a disk mounted (looked like there is no communication between PC and Atari).

Can you please send me the driver that worked for you under XP? This may probably be the proper driver while the one I've found is wrong, who knows! ;)

Have you set the COM port properly using AspeQt options???

post-10165-0-00859000-1318846030_thumb.gif

Type in COM1 -- COM2 -- COM3 until you find one that works.

Edited by rdea6

yes rdea6, I have done this also (I was aware of it) :-D

I've checked in which COM port the virtualized USB was installed (under device manager) and then select it in AspeQt (but probably there is more to do I guess).

though I'll be more clear when I get back home (working now), and I'll post exactly what I do with AspeQt.

i.e. does anyone know whuich of the 3 supported handshaking methods (RI, DSR and CTS) should I use here?

anyway, I don't want to mess sloopy's thread anymore, with my AspeQt problems...

Again I thank Sloopy for this great piece of hardware and his fast response which is much appreciated :)

Edited by ndial

you should use DSR, unfortunately the only Windows 7 machine in my house is my wifes laptop, and the PSU is blown in it, so i cant even take it to test... the fact that it is showing up in the Device Manager, would indicate the drivers are working. Also try it at the 1x setting, as there is a remote possibility of a problem. Of the 25-30 sio2pc-usb adapters i have sold two people have had issues with speeds over 2x, and the cause was never found, but is believed to be environmental, as one of them has taken the entire set-up except for he PC to someone elses house and everything sings at 3x no problem...

sloopy.

APE prefers DSR, so thats what i use... in my mkI there is an internal jumper for RI or DSR tho...

(no, it isnt 'officially' supported through APE by me, but it is possible to work, but 1x at BEST... )

sloopy.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: unfortunately I have had a family emergency, and my son is in a hospital 80Miles (128Km) from my home (fortunately its only about 6miles (10Km) from my parents house), and havnt been able to get alot done, as i have been mostly there. This compounded by the fact, i ordered 100 of the mini USB connectors, and they sent me 10... I emailed them, they apologized, and sent me 10 again... i emailed AGAIN, and well, using the time of shipping for the first two it should be here tomorrow/ or thurs. and even if they screw up AGAIN, i will have 30 which will be just enough to fill all paid orders...

I am hoping to have all orders shipped by monday, but 8 have already shipped, and 4 more will definitely ship before friday.

these are the boards that go into the SIO plugs

post-24811-0-07719600-1320765386_thumb.jpg

and here are some already made, these are production units that have actually shipped...

post-24811-0-43116100-1320765428_thumb.jpg

sloopy.

Hope all is well,

Happy to report that I collected mine from the post office this afternoon,

How in hell do I get Aspeqt to see the USB device on my winblows 7 PC>?

I've got Win7 too.

So,

Download the CDM20814_Setup.exe file (this is the FTDI 232R DRIVERS XP-Vista-7) and run it.

from here http://www.mediafire.com/?14c462x4kz4dz3y or wherever you find better.

Then all u need to find out on which COM port your USB device is being set (i.e. COM,COM2,COM3 etc).

Having the SIO2USB connected (without being attached to Atari), open AspeQt

• Go to Options
  • Write the appropriate COM port (on your right)
  • Select the DSR as Handshake method (on your right)
  • Select a low speed for the baud rate, say 19200 (1x)
  • Press Ok

Now the console at the bottom should print the following:

Serial port speed set to 19200.

Emulation started through standard serial port backend on 'COM3' with DSR handshaking.

That's it!

Hope it helps.

Had the same issue before, and people helped me too!

Edited by ndial

how did you installed the drivers?

Did you download and run the CDM20814_Setup.exe ? This is the ONLY way that works (I've spent too much time to find out that)

If you did so (hope you did), then note the followng:

Always reboot the system having the SIO2USB attached

Both XP and 7 for some reason do not see the cable when you're in the OS and plugging the cable. need to rboot WITH the cable (at least for my case, but give it a try)

Edited by ndial

No no need to show up to USB devices tree!

Check the Ports (COM & LPT) tree!

go to control panel

device manager

open Ports (COM & LPT) tree

and you should see "USB Serial Port (COMxxx)"

alternatively, if you go to AspeQt under Options you can test which COM port is set to the SIO2USB (say type COM1 if not, type COM2, then COM3 etc) then pressing ok (I assume you also change to DSR and 19200 as prviously said)

Edited by ndial
  • Like 1