IGNORED

STacy screen restoration

On 3/9/2022 at 12:18 PM, DarkLord said:

Hey there. Something along these lines:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152146004508?hash=item236c9bca1c:g:-oEAAOSwOVpXcPvs

Keep in mind, anything a little bigger is mostly okay, they can be trimmed to fit. I did this,

and covered the part I cut with clear fingernail polish to protect it. I also powered mine

off the STacy's original P/S, thus eliminating the need for the inverter. However, if your

STacy's P/S doesn't make the el sheet bright enough, you might have to look at other

options. Mine was good enough for me.

Having said that, it's been *years* since I did this and it's starting to fade again. I'm

told this is normal for el sheets, they will grow dim over time. I'm not going to replace

it with another el sheet, although that would be the cheapest and easiest thing for me

to do.

The next time I open my STacy up (I'm keeping my fingers crossed for early summer),

I'm going to attempt the modification from this thread:

https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=40201

Make sure you read all the way through it. I know, it's quite long but worth it.

Towards the last few pages, you'll be able to find links to either partially assembled

or fully assembled kits, although soldering and work on the STacy will still have to

be done.

HTH's...  :)

Did you ever get around to doing it? If yes, how hard is it, and are the instructions in that thread doable for most? Any videos?

1 hour ago, Zap! said:

Did you ever get around to doing it? If yes, how hard is it, and are the instructions in that thread doable for most? Any videos?

Not yet. I've currently got my STacy apart where I've been experimenting with the PiSTorm stuff, so it's on my list. There's

actually several things I'm wanting to attempt now that I've got it apart - just gotta find the time and get motivated.  :)

BTW, if you've not seen it, you should definitely take a look at Derkom's "Summer STacy Project" thread over at Exxos's

Atari Forums. It's another really long thread but man, lots of good info there and he wound up with an amazing machine.

Check it out:

https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3009

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 12:18 PM, DarkLord said:

Hey there. Something along these lines:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152146004508?hash=item236c9bca1c:g:-oEAAOSwOVpXcPvs

Keep in mind, anything a little bigger is mostly okay, they can be trimmed to fit. I did this,

and covered the part I cut with clear fingernail polish to protect it. I also powered mine

off the STacy's original P/S, thus eliminating the need for the inverter. However, if your

STacy's P/S doesn't make the el sheet bright enough, you might have to look at other

options. Mine was good enough for me.

Having said that, it's been *years* since I did this and it's starting to fade again. I'm

told this is normal for el sheets, they will grow dim over time. I'm not going to replace

it with another el sheet, although that would be the cheapest and easiest thing for me

to do.

The next time I open my STacy up (I'm keeping my fingers crossed for early summer),

I'm going to attempt the modification from this thread:

https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=40201

Make sure you read all the way through it. I know, it's quite long but worth it.

Towards the last few pages, you'll be able to find links to either partially assembled

or fully assembled kits, although soldering and work on the STacy will still have to

be done.

HTH's...  :)

Wow, that's insane! I haven't read through all of it, but the finalized picture is flat out amazing! Did you get the parts? I saw your post saying that your order was canceled and you ordered again. Also, what is the total list of things I'd need to buy? The screen, connectors, 3D printed brackets, and what else? I sure wish there was a video out there, not sure if I can do it, but it's easier if I only use high-resolution. I sure wish I could pay someone that I trusted to do it for me. :)

Here's a pic of my STacy. It is 100% original. The seal underneath hasn't even been broken. What do you think? Screen still decent for 35 years old or so? Bonus: spot the MSTe in the background if you can. :D

20240131_140151.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Zap! said:

Wow, that's insane! I haven't read through all of it, but the finalized picture is flat out amazing! Did you get the parts? I saw your post saying that your order was canceled and you ordered again. Also, what is the total list of things I'd need to buy? The screen, connectors, 3D printed brackets, and what else? I sure wish there was a video out there, not sure if I can do it, but it's easier if I only use high-resolution. I sure wish I could pay someone that I trusted to do it for me. :)

Believe it or not, if you read through that message thread, you can pretty much pick up on all the items that are needed. I did finally get my screen and controller board in. I had a friend print out the 3D brackets for me.

I wish someone or some company was doing it professionally - I might be tempted to get them to do it as well.  :)

18 hours ago, Zap! said:

Here's a pic of my STacy. It is 100% original. The seal underneath hasn't even been broken. What do you think? Screen still decent for 35 years old or so? Bonus: spot the MSTe in the background if you can. :D

Honestly, that screen looks great for it's age. Mine was getting to be really dark when I replaced it with an a new El sheet.

• Like 1