IGNORED

New Gameboy Advance this spring??

DEBRO

Hey!!!!! I have that DK portable in my display case!! How did you get it :-D

I still play my DK regularly (more than my GBA)

I'v had it forever and it still holds up really well (but it looks like a truck ran over it :P )

I'll bet that GBA SP will fall apart fast ;) (but I'll still buy one :) )

Just as some peripherals (Mainly, the E-Reader) first sold in Japan were slightly modified before release in other countries, I suspect that the North American version of the GBA SP will be a little different.

My first reasoning is the assertion by Nintendo that the E-Reader will work with the GBA SP, and the model currently pictured has the link port at the opposite end of the cart port. Never know, they might do some rearranging. All speculation on my part.

My only complaint will be the special battery that likely only Nintendo will produce and sell replacements at a premium.

To be honest I think I'd be happier with a moded GBA with the Afterburner kit.

That GBA SP looks like cheap shit Big N is pulling...

It reminds of one of those cheap $2 clocks you get at a local Flea Market... anyone here feel what I'm saying? ;-)

Blah... cheap...

Clint Thompson

:P

It does look very cheap.. I agree... but have you ever put a GBA in your pocket? :-) I can't even sit down without it stabbing me... I agree it's nothing like the original GB, but it is very bulky for a pocket game system... However this new unit is most certainly pocket compatible.. and that is a huge plus :-)

Plus it's rechargable.. I go through so many batteries a month in my GBA... especially when I use it as an emulator... recharge batteries are a dream come true...

Still.... I wish it was a little better... Like internal memory... MP3 capabilites... oh well :-)

What I can't wait to see is how sturdy the hinge is gonna be on this thing, I mean just how gentile do you think a teen is goona be with theis thing especially if (s)he throws ist in his bag for school or wherever else (s)he may go?

I'm not a teenager any more, so I'll treat my GBASP with some respect. ;)

And what is witht he trend of making every damn thing so much smaller and easier to lose? Seriously, what ever happened to "bigger is better?" It still works with cars at least why not games?

Hey, if I can fit this sucker in my pocket more easily than the current GBA, then I'm happy. That means I might be more inclined to carry it with me when I think I might have some time to kill. Plus the screen is protected when the unit is closed, so it won't get scratched if I happen to have something else in my pocket (like a personal shield generator or subspace harmonic displacement equalizer). :)

..Al

I might wait to see this one in action before I commit to buying it, I'm a big handheld fan and have most of the systems that were released after the Lynx. I bought a GBA when it first came out but after Advance Wars I've lost interest in the whole system and now I spend most of my time playing my NeoGeo Pocket or Tetris/Mario Golf on my GameBoy (more comfortable than GBA).

But this does have features I'm looking for, I guess I'm also waiting for more software to excite me for the GBA.

Plus it's rechargable.. I go through so many batteries a month in my GBA... especially when I use it as an emulator... recharge batteries are a dream come true...

There are rechargeable batteries available for the GBA for fairly decent prices... I sure hope you aren't thinking of buying an SP for this reason alone.

The only thing I wish Nintendo would do is add two more action buttons

Yeah, I think it was a mistake to only have two face buttons too... they could have easily added X and Y and made it like a SNES controller. It would have made ports easier, and games like Street Fighter Alpha 3 wouldn't have to resort to weird controls. At the very least, it would have been nice if they put the Start and Select buttons on the same side as A and B so that games could theoretically use them as well (Pressing them with my left thumb seems weird to me). However, it's probably for the best that they didn't change anything on the SP, otherwise we'd have to worry about compatibility problems and such.

I think I'll pass on this one... Nintendo already has enough of my money without me paying for things I already have.

--Zero

There are rechargeable batteries available for the GBA for fairly decent prices... I sure hope you aren't thinking of buying an SP for this reason alone.

The only thing I wish Nintendo would do is add two more action buttons

Yeah, I think it was a mistake to only have two face buttons too... they could have easily added X and Y and made it like a SNES controller. It would have made ports easier, and games like Street Fighter Alpha 3 wouldn't have to resort to weird controls. At the very least, it would have been nice if they put the Start and Select buttons on the same side as A and B so that games could theoretically use them as well (Pressing them with my left thumb seems weird to me). However, it's probably for the best that they didn't change anything on the SP, otherwise we'd have to worry about compatibility problems and such.

I think I'll pass on this one... Nintendo already has enough of my money without me paying for things I already have.

--Zero

Wherea are several games where you have to "hold" L or R or both in addition to A or B or Both to perform a specific action... With only your thumb for control over 4 buttons, this would be terrible.

I'll bet that GBA SP will fall apart fast (but I'll still buy one )
That GBA SP looks like cheap shit Big N is pulling...

I dunno.. if it's anything like the Game and Watch that it resembles.. remember that those things were sturdy as hell with the same flip-top mechanism. I mean look at all the cracked up, beat up ones selling on ebay that are all still working. I know I opened up my old flip-top Game and Watches billions of times over the years and they STILL work up to this very day.

One thing about Nintendo.. the majority of their hardware LASTS (with the exception probably being the contacts in their front-loader NES) :P

I'm not a teenager any more, so I'll treat my GBASP with some respect. ;)

Hey, if I can fit this sucker in my pocket more easily than the current GBA, then I'm happy. That means I might be more inclined to carry it with me when I think I might have some time to kill. Plus the screen is protected when the unit is closed, so it won't get scratched if I happen to have something else in my pocket (like a personal shield generator or subspace harmonic displacement equalizer). :)

..Al

I'm not a teen anymore either (mid-twenties ICK) but the majority of people playing these systems are supposed to be kids, not us adults that can't let go of gaming. There are very few games even marketed towards our group. But that is just life.

As for the whole portability issue, I carry mine with me everynight at work, if fits in the front pocket of my work pants(screen facing my leg) and have had no problem with screen scratches or the like. But I can understand the thought behind the making it smaller and protecting the display, but it just isn't for me. But to each their own.

As for batteries, I bought the lil pack that is the same size as theOE battery cover and get a good soild 2 hrs a night out of it which is perfect for my worknight gaming sesions.

Wow! I mean WOW! This thing is great!

I hardly ever leave the house without my GBA in my coat pocket but it is quite hefty (especially with a Pelican light shield attached to it). This new model looks as if it will be truly portable, so I can hardly wait.

However, I do have one complaint (which I just got through yelling about over on RGVC). Did any of you take notice of the US release date on this thing? MARCH 23rd! A scant five days before the PhillyClassic!!! Looks like I may be pre-ordering a new GBA so I don't end up blowing my convention money on the thing!

Wherea are several games where you have to "hold" L or R or both in addition to A or B or Both to perform a specific action... With only your thumb for control over 4 buttons, this would be terrible.

I don't understand what you mean... If you had extra face buttons, you wouldn't have to hold L or R for anything... I'm not saying they should put L and R on the front...

--Zero

I didn't scan this whole thread so someone may have mentioned this, but I just got an email from Lik Sang and they are selling the Japanese version of this new SP model for $129. The cool thing is that it comes out Feb. 14th and includes an additional black model (would match my cell phone ;) ). Those kids in Japan get all the cool toys :D

http://www.lik-sang.com/list.php?category=...47&likref=html1

Nintendo held a hands on conference in Vegas... and IGN took vids and all kind of cool stuff on the system

http://pocket.ign.com/articles/382/382062p1.html

What's even cooler, is the reporter claims to have very big hands, and he said the system is very comfortable and responsive and is very deceiving given it's looks.

They also state there will be no price drop for the current GBA for the forseable future.

Wow!  I mean WOW!  This thing is great!

I hardly ever leave the house without my GBA in my coat pocket but it is quite hefty (especially with a Pelican light shield attached to it).  This new model looks as if it will be truly portable, so I can hardly wait.

However, I do have one complaint (which I just got through yelling about over on RGVC).  Did any of you take notice of the US release date on this thing?  MARCH 23rd!  A scant five days before the PhillyClassic!!!  Looks like I may be pre-ordering a new GBA so I don't end up blowing my convention money on the thing!

You gonna be there for sure SS? The wife and I just pre-paid for our passes tonight. Maybe I'll have to finish building my K-9 2600 after all. :ponder:

You gonna be there for sure SS?  The wife and I just pre-paid for our passes tonight.  Maybe I'll have to finish building my K-9 2600 after all.  :ponder:

I am pre-paid for a 3 day pass. You'll have a blast! Plus, maybe we can hook up (with other AAers?) and hit South Street in Philly on Fri or Sat? Should be cool.

The whole thing looks curiosly retro, a return of square corners when chunky curves are holding sway.

What I can't wait to see is how sturdy the hinge is gonna be on this thing, I mean just how gentile do you think a teen is goona be with theis thing especially if (s)he throws ist in his bag for school or wherever else (s)he may go?

I don't think there would be a lot of pressure on the hinge when it's closed.

And what is witht he trend of making every damn thing so much smaller and easier to lose? Seriously, what ever happened to "bigger is better?" It still works with cars at least why not games?

Well, units like this always have to balance the fact that people want as big a screen as possible for a given form factor. But if this thing is decreasing in size, and I can stuff it in a coat pocket without worrying about scratching the screen or dinging up the controls too badly, that's a great selling point.

'Course, I'll probably just stick with that GC add on.

You gonna be there for sure SS?  The wife and I just pre-paid for our passes tonight.  Maybe I'll have to finish building my K-9 2600 after all.  :ponder:

I am pre-paid for a 3 day pass. You'll have a blast! Plus, maybe we can hook up (with other AAers?) and hit South Street in Philly on Fri or Sat? Should be cool.

Neither my wife or I have ever been to Philly, so if you know South Street and you're offering to play tour guide I'm fair game; and for any AAers that come along with us I can only say the more the merrier! I'd love to buy a pitcher of whatever everyone can stand (all the better to share and not drink so much myself) even if it ends up being Red Fusion. :D

South Street is a bit of a hike from the Convention CTR and I'm down for it if other are. SS U in the area? if so wanna talk to plan out some stuff?