IGNORED

Help - Atari 800 Tape to Disk

Hi everyone,

I really need some help.

I've just recently converted my dining room into a games room, and with that I was finally able to dig my good ole' Atari 800 out of the cupboard, along with the Tape Drive, Disk Drive and all the software I had for it.

The Disk Drive and disks are working flawlessly, and replaying some classic games like Gremlins, The Goonies and Archon was superb. I went to play a couple of my cassette games though and unfortunatly there are a few that wouldn't load, that I know worked before I put it into storage all those years ago. They would even read the first 2 seconds and just ERROR out, or for my copy of Zaxxon would read until about 2-3 minutes in and then fail.

My main concern is that over time, my other cassettes will deteriorate as well and will no longer work, and because of that I really want to backup those cassettes to disk as it seems a little more stable.

I know that there is a Transdisk program out there that will do this for me. I downloaded an ATR image file from www.page6.org, but I have no idea to get this onto a disk, or if it's even possible.

Is there anyone out there who is willing to help me out with a way to get this image onto a floppy disk capable of running on an Atari 800, or somewhere that I could obtain a copy of it.

I just hate the idea of loosing some of my collection when I could do something about it.

Any help would be great, and I hope to hear some feedback soon.

The easiest way to get downloaded software on your Atari is a SIO2PC device or a SIO2SD/S-Drive device. With SIO2PC you can load disk images without needing a real disk drive straight from your PC. SIO2SD/S-Drive does the same from a stand-alone device that emulated a disk drive. See the topic for newbies for the various options.

With these devices you can also copy the disk image to a real Atari disk using a sector copier on the Atari. With the AtariMax SIO2PC-USB version and software, you can also write a disk image to a real disk by connecting the Atari disk-drive directly to the PC.

For lots of tapes, there are already (cracked) disk versions available. The site www.atarimania.com has lots of images from original disks and tapes. The site atari.fandal.cz has most software in cracked executable form. So in many cases, you don't need to convert the tape yourself.

But if you have tapes that AtariMania does not have a tape image of, you can use A8CAS to convert the tape (recorded to a wave file on a PC) to an Atari tape image. If so, AtariMania would appreciate it if you send them tape (and disk) images they have not yet on their site.

Robert

My main concern is that over time, my other cassettes will deteriorate as well and will no longer work, and because of that I really want to backup those cassettes to disk as it seems a little more stable.

Your tapes may still be good, but your 410's belts might need replacing. I found out this myself with my 410 that's been sitting 15 years...

Jay

I second replacing your belts... As for Transdisk, it creates a menu Disk for your tape copies, it would be easier to download new ATRs from Atarimania or another site and load them over SIO2PC.

Transdisk IV should be a disk image that you can write back to an original disk, I have it in the basement and can scan the Manual if you need it (pm me if you do). Be warned it's very finicky and absolutely wont work on a tape drive with loose belts.

Thanks for everyone's reply, you've been a great help. I think on Payday I will buy a SIO2PC-USB so that I can run, backup and also copy images onto Floppy Disks from my PC. I never even knew you could do that with an Atari 800 that's nearly 30 years old.

As for the Tape Belts, how easy is it to replace these and where do I get these belts from?

Lastly, I'll have a look down the list at AtariMania and see if I have any tape images that has not been uploaded. I think I've got the most common images, but you never know!

[EDIT] - I've taken just a quick look on the AtariMania site and put a few titles in. I came across one that I just couldn't find on the site, a cassette call 'Micro Rhythm', which is some sort of Electronic Drum Kit.

Here is a pic of it: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/683/93929666.jpg/

I have no clue if it's under a different name on the site or if it's just been missed, but I've typed in 'Micro Rhythm', 'Micro', 'Rhythm', 'Micro-Rhythm', 'MicroRhythm' and nothing.

Edited by freemonk

I've taken just a quick look on the AtariMania site and put a few titles in. I came across one that I just couldn't find on the site, a cassette call 'Micro Rhythm', which is some sort of Electronic Drum Kit.

Hmmm, I would expect it under utilities but I couldn't find it either. And that while I sent the tape image to Atari Mania more than two years ago. So attached the tape image of the original tape + instructions and a disk conversion I did of the tape.

Robert

Micro Rhythm (Firebird).zip

I had another quick look through some of my Atari 800 tapes, and I found some that does not appear to have a download on the AtariMania site.

Superman: The Game (Prism)

Mig Alley Ace (US Gold Version)

Tanium (Players)

4 Star Compilation Volume 2 (Red Rat)

Atari Smash Hits Volume 5 (I can only find 1 tape)

Atari Smash Hits Volume 6

I had another quick look through some of my Atari 800 tapes, and I found some that does not appear to have a download on the AtariMania site.

Superman: The Game (Prism)

Mig Alley Ace (US Gold Version)

Tanium (Players)

4 Star Compilation Volume 2 (Red Rat)

Atari Smash Hits Volume 5 (I can only find 1 tape)

Atari Smash Hits Volume 6

I've sent the tape image of Superman as well to AtariMania but it seems they didn't add it to their database. But I've attached it here.

I would love to see the tape images of the other games if you have the means to record them on a PC. If you can't make it into a .cas file, then post the recorded wave file somewhere I will try to convert it to a .cas file.

Robert

Superman - The Game (First Star Software - Prism Leisure Corporation).zip

Well I've finally got an Atari 800 XL on it's way (£15 from Ebay). I have an Atari XE, but it has died. It switches on, but it just comes up the test screen and a huge majority of the memory banks are Red Squares instead of green. That means that around 50% of the tapes I own won't work on the Standard Atari 800 (48k version) I have, because of the lack of memory, so I thought an upgrade would be needed.

I'm then going to order a SIO2PC USB when I get paid at the end of the month (25th). I'll then check through all the tapes I have against the AtariMania website and let you know what I've got that the AtariMania website is 'missing', At least that way you can let me guys can let me know which ones are actual missing tapes and which ones have been sent in by other members but the website has just not updated yet. I'll then try and rip them into .cas form and upload them both here and on the AtariMania website.

I'm so excited! Thanks again to everyone that has helped me out. I'm sure that I may need some more help once everything arrives! lol

That 130 is probably easily fixable. First of all, does I don't know, but does it have socketed ram? If so, I would just try reseating the ram.

And if it doesn't, I bet sloopy or someone can tell you the best way of putting a ram upgrade on the 130 and disabling the onboard ram.

• 1 month later...

Well I've finally got an Atari 800 XL on it's way (£15 from Ebay). I have an Atari XE, but it has died. It switches on, but it just comes up the test screen and a huge majority of the memory banks are Red Squares instead of green. That means that around 50% of the tapes I own won't work on the Standard Atari 800 (48k version) I have, because of the lack of memory, so I thought an upgrade would be needed.

I'm then going to order a SIO2PC USB when I get paid at the end of the month (25th). I'll then check through all the tapes I have against the AtariMania website and let you know what I've got that the AtariMania website is 'missing', At least that way you can let me guys can let me know which ones are actual missing tapes and which ones have been sent in by other members but the website has just not updated yet. I'll then try and rip them into .cas form and upload them both here and on the AtariMania website.

I'm so excited! Thanks again to everyone that has helped me out. I'm sure that I may need some more help once everything arrives! lol

If you are interested in repairing the 130XE you should read this thread: http://www.atariage....ost__p__2212467

If your 130XE has the Micron RAM chips I would recommend simply replacing all 16 of them. In my opinion the easiest method of removing the bad RAM would be to clip all the legs off close to the body of the chip then desolder the legs individually, this reduces the risk of damaging the circuit board which is fairly easy to do with the 130XE. If you are a novice at soldering I would recommend finding someone with more experience to do the work.

There is a BIN on eBay UK for lots of 20 41256K chips from Hungary for GBP10 + GBP5 for shipping.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2209063294211?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=220906329421&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Here is another lot of 18 from Bulgaria for just over GBP18 including shipping.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2507950996781?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=250795099678&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]