IGNORED

Chicago

Willsy

This looks pretty interesting.. I live in the area. (40 miles or so) so I should go..

Problems:

• I have not had much time for my TI, so pretty much the only thing that I have done was install a F18A and posted pictures on how I made use of the metal backplate that comes with Matt's kit. I would not have anything in the form of knowledge or material to the community.
  • I somewhat have anxiety around people I have not met especially if I have not gotten my feet that wet on the subject material.

Eh, we're pretty much all like that, so no worries :) Please try to join us.

These guys pull it off (in the Chicago area) and manage to keep it free:

http://vcfmw.org/

And they even merged with the Chicago C64 group this year. It would be nice if the TI group would merge with these two organizations (which I have suggested before). They take over a hotel from Friday through Sunday, there are talks, hardware hacking, buying and selling, swapping, a computer museum, etc. IMO merging would be a very good thing for the TI Faire. But, Hal "owns" the Faire, and he has to be the one to do it.

Still, we get 30-ish people coming to the TI Faire, and for a reasonable admission fee ($20 to $30 is reasonable to me) I think you could rent a pretty decent space. I don't understand why the Faire is free to begin with. If it costs money to put on the event, then change admission. That is not unreasonable.

Also, a core component of our community is overseas and coming to the Faire over here in the U.S. is a big expense for them. One short day of "shhhh, lights down, be quite for the next presentation..." is not going to justify coming to the Faire for those people. Except Berry, but I think he is independently wealthy. ;-)

The Glenside Color Computer Club is in Chicago and holds a "Last Annual CoCoFest" every year. Next year it's at the Heron Point Convention Center.

It would be nice if all the separate groups would get together to hold a joint fair.

It's a bit difficult for me to justify a trip for one single machine but if it was for several then that might be another matter.

The Glenside Color Computer Club is in Chicago and holds a "Last Annual CoCoFest" every year. Next year it's at the Heron Point Convention Center.

It would be nice if all the separate groups would get together to hold a joint fair.

It's a bit difficult for me to justify a trip for one single machine but if it was for several then that might be another matter.

another show going to heron point. and to think video game summit was the first show there 10 years ago and now everybody is going there.

we actually out grown the space and we have our eyes on two possible places ,leaning more torward one then other, plan on checking it out

soon though.

Edited by Dan Iacovelli

another show going to heron point. and to think video game summit was the first show there 10 years ago and now everybody is going there.

And... ?

we actually out grown the space and we have our eyes on two possible places ,leaning more torward one then other, plan on checking it out

soon though.

And... ?

I found the play on words amusing as a proposal.

And here I thought the "Last Annual" part would be what people find amusing. It's had that name for 23 years. :)

Seriously, I'd like to go to the TI show but I'd also like to go to shows for CoCo, Adam, C64, Apple II... and I pretty much have to pick one. I've done the least with the TI out of all my machines so that pretty much means I'm never getting to that one unless I have a reason to be in the area.

BTW, does anyone do live streaming videos from this event? That's happened with the CoCoFest in the past and it's cool for people that can't be there to see some of the speeches and demos.

And here I thought the "Last Annual" part would be what people find amusing. It's had that name for 23 years. :)

Seriously, I'd like to go to the TI show but I'd also like to go to shows for CoCo, Adam, C64, Apple II... and I pretty much have to pick one. I've done the least with the TI out of all my machines so that pretty much means I'm never getting to that one unless I have a reason to be in the area.

Someone else already did the "Last Annual" thing, so I felt compelled to provide my own twist. I know the feeling, as Mark has put it, of many masters; I have been wanting to go to AmiWest (Amiga show) since the 90s, but it is too expensive for me.

Please keep it civil everyone (that goes for mods too).

Did I miss something?

Yes, things were cleaned up. Don't worry about it.

Right. For my own edification, I try to review whatever happened to identify and avoid similar instances. Only reason I asked. Now, back to our regular programming...

I am going to be sending my F18A-4A, CF7+, SuperSpace II and a couple of other modules, and speech synthesizer to meet me at my hotel. I am offering it up as an extra demo unit. I do not think I can send a monitor up; will anyone have a spare?

Personally I prefer to keep the Chicago Fair a pure TI event. There are plenty of mixed venues these days to satisfy anyone's urge for variety, and IMHO adding coverage for other systems will create a significant distraction and dilute the great work being done in the TI scene. What we really should be focusing on is expanding the duration of the Fair and bringing back the educational sessions and various technical forums in addition to the demos and show & tell events. We'll discuss all of this live next week. Looking forward to seeing all of you there :)

• Like 1

Personally I prefer to keep the Chicago Fair a pure TI event. There are plenty of mixed venues these days to satisfy anyone's urge for variety, and IMHO adding coverage for other systems will create a significant distraction and dilute the great work being done in the TI scene.

You'd think that, but when I went to the Commodore show that had the VCF with it it really didn't take anything away from one show or the other. Maybe it helped that they were in separate rooms though.

I'm considering going, but it's a long haul for me. If it was a two day show then I could justify a hotel room and not worry about driving late into the night.

• Like 2

RF modulators can be converted for composite output, so they are not completely useless ;). I did a little how-to on it here on the forums a few months back.

Excellent. Why throw away a perfectly good modulator? Thing is though is that with the F18A becoming quite common, even composite output is on its death bed...

• Like 1