IGNORED

Transfering files to the ST from PC

Charlie_

Now I have my Mega STe with hdd and I'd like to know what the best way to transfer files from a PC to the STe.

I've been copying files with 720K disks. It takes a long time and I cant transfer anything larger than 720k.

What cable and software would I need to transfer files to the ste?

Also is there a software for the ST that can extract ZIP and RAR archives?

Official Ninja,

There is a ZIP program for the ST. It is called, funnily enough, STZIP. You can find it on most ST FTP sites in either the archiver directory or the utility directory. I am away from home at the moment, but if you have not found a source for this program by the end of this month (my business trip lasts until then) I will be glad to upload it here.

Russ.

You can also try quick extract. Cheapest way to transfer files would be with a null modem cable and ghostlink. There is also parcp through the parallel port but you'd need to make the cable.

You beat me to suggesting null modem-ing and ghostlink, I used to use that method, and if I wanted to get really fancy I would use the terminal cart and basically the same stuff, but usign terminal commands (the fdd is mountable and you can read/write to it inside the term program).

With a nullmodem cable it is possible to use a slip connection to network your Mega/STe with a Linux PC and take the latter as a router to the internet.

As your machine has relatively fast serial ports (modem2, serial2), this is quite nice a possibility.

I'm not too certain, but you also may be lucky enough to mount your Atari hard disk in your PC with Gemulator.

You can also try quick extract. Cheapest way to transfer files would be with a null modem cable and ghostlink. There is also parcp through the parallel port but you'd need to make the cable.

I have a null modem cable and I've found ghostlink. Can this be used with a Windows XP computer?

The 1st post here: http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1673

says to use a utility to release the serial post but the link is not working.

can this be done? anyone know of the utility?

I have a null modem cable and I've found ghostlink. Can this be used with a Windows XP computer?

The 1st post here: http://www.atari-for...php?f=14&t=1673

says to use a utility to release the serial post but the link is not working.

can this be done? anyone know of the utility?

If you want to just take images to real st disks, use this: http://atari.8bitchip.info/floimgd.php This way you need an IDE floppy drive connected into your machine. Don't use a USB floppy drive as these don't work. As for unzipping, just do it on the windows side.

I tried it without luck on a win2k system.

Although both sides seemed to see each other I wasn't even able to get a drive map.

I know it worked flawlessly between my Falcon and a win98 computer back then...

• 2 months later...

Have ST with HD and have been using null modem cable with terminal program on PC and ST using zmodem protocol, Zip files on the PC and Unzip on ST with STZIP software. Cant get my PC to write ST disks with floimg so using MSAST program on the ST to write disk images after transferring the MSA files via nullmodem cable and terminal programs just like the Zip files. Works well. If I didnt have the HD on the ST end it might not work so well so thankful I have one

Have ST with HD and have been using null modem cable with terminal program on PC and ST using zmodem protocol, Zip files on the PC and Unzip on ST with STZIP software. Cant get my PC to write ST disks with floimg so using MSAST program on the ST to write disk images after transferring the MSA files via nullmodem cable and terminal programs just like the Zip files. Works well. If I didnt have the HD on the ST end it might not work so well so thankful I have one

Hey MrNukem. You can use one of the MSA programs here to write MSA images to floppy on the ST.

I use ghostlink and keep the MSA on the PC, it takes a while to read the file that way but it does work very well.

http://dbug.kicks-ass.net/dbug/extras.htm

Edited by Official Ninja
  • Like 1