IGNORED

best demos?

eegad

Calling for suggestions for the best graphics&sound demos...

I'm looking to put together an 8M flashcart with a bunch of Atari demos. All recommendations for this should load as files (.xex, etc) or single-load disk images (no multi-loading, because I want to put a bunch of them, selectable from a standard main flashcart menu). Also would prefer demos that run on 64k machines (stock 800xl), rather than requiring expanded memory. And finally, works on NTSC; doesn't require PAL. Much thanks for any input!

hmm

agregat, alien demo, alpha, ander, Animkomials Meets Boris Valleyo, annael, Ars Mori, asciiart, atari world, Atari Magic '87, Atari Graphics Demonstrations, azz kick, bash, basix, cogito, control, drunk chesboard, digi synth, dont read, ergo bibamus, extract, flove, fucke vocabulary, hellix, Chistoria pewnego pecetofca, Chuck Norris Know 6502, igor, isolatio, liquid, mr6502final, np, numen, plo, pure, recall, recycle, running cow, shit, silly things, taku-ardo, the asskisiel, the asskickers, reflect, shrine, snowman, the top 1-3, timekeeper, too hard 1-666, total daze, trial, tricks, tune, twirlee, ultra, Unexpected, unfused, vaxeen, vengeance, vent, vidlove, x-demo, x-files, z, zero..

and many and many invitations..

and.. dont forgot the best demo ever - prototype ;)

Edited by w1k
  • Like 1

Best demo IMHO is the walking robot/spaceship. I don't know what it's called. Great graphics and sound.

It's called CESDEMO.

I remember some very short, but cool digitized music. There was "You really got me" by Van Halen and something by the Kinks, I also remember a music thing that played "Urgent" by Foreigner, it was awesome back in 1984 or so. I wonder what it sounds like now, anyone remember these? Still got them? There was also a music player that played "Lindy" and some others. I'd love to hear these again if anyone can post them.

cheers,

c

My "have to watch" list:

48h

Asskicker

Atari Home Computers Boing Demo

Balls forever

Ballsong

Bitter Reality

CES Demo

Control

Cool Emotion

Das Omen

Drunk Chessboard

Fucked Vocabulary

Halle Project Demo(s)

Hobby Tronic 89

Hobby Tronic 90

Impossible but real

Joyride

Lemmings

Maze

More!

Numen

Overmind

Pure

QLKEE

Rabbacan

Recall

Reditus

Sheol

The Shrine

The Top Demo(s)

Top Cars

Total Daze

Twistever

Unplugged

Veronika

I remember those digitized song demos, they were awsome back then, considering no one thought it possible on the lowly A8, there were also a couple Beatles digi-demos, one was 'Let it Be.' But the reality of the sound quality was probably on a par with AM radio on a home made transistor radio like one would make with the old electronic experiment kits.

Best demo IMHO is the walking robot/spaceship. I don't know what it's called. Great graphics and sound.

The reason I like this demo is that it is so OLD and still good. But you really have to watch other demo's to see that your Atari is capable of much much more things.

The other golden oldie (The flying swan) is also cool in this category. It's old... very old... so these demo's give me the feeling: "Ah... I should have showed these demo's to my non-atari friends years ago" ... but again: there are so many much better demo's.

A very recent demo is written by Peter.Dell (JAC) and it is called Silly Things (google that!)

Another very cool demo is the megademo SHAKE! ... I also like the demo's made by Our 5oft. There is this fabulous Arnhem 1993 meeting demo...

A nice little piece is the Little Color Demo written by HTT! ... it's small... it's little (doh)... but it's GREAT!

Check it out!

Marius

Demo's are my favorite part of the Atari hobby.

and.. dont forgot the best demo ever - prototype ;)

I had not seen this one. Huge lols! Thanks for mentioning it.

If you want to show the C64 is the better computer, you have to show this one.

Unbelievable crap of code, wasting 1MB memory for nothing.

Look what The C64 can do with Megabytes of RAM....

It's 16MB or RAM, but look how long it's been going through.

The demo was also an attack towards me, and ended up an epic fail.

Edited by emkay

@José Pereira

Yeah. Cool Emotion is still one of my favorite demo's. In fact: it was the FIRST Mega Demo I saw after an Atari break between 1990 and 1994. In 1995 Fox-1 sent me some disks, and Cool Emotion was one of them. I fired up the Atari because Fox-1 wrote that it was worth looking. OMG I was AMAZED by the quality of that demo... I never thought that Atari 8bit could do such things (and after Cool Emotion there came much other fabulous things). Yes... Cool Emotion is one of my favorites.

I love the part where all kind of txt patterens are scrolling over the screen. it's on the backside I believe.

And ofcourse the green plasma part, and the "Heal the World" theme... yes it's great.

But ontopic: I am afraid the Topic Starter needs file versions of demo's for his cart...

But I think he should watch and listen Cool Emotion anyway!!!

First, thanks for the recommendations. I've been slowly d/l and looking through them little by little.

Second, I'm trying to track down a demo from the late 80's that was my favorite at the time. I remember it being called "the awesome demo", I think maybe it was from germany.....'the acorn group' is sticking in my mind also. In any case, it was a disk featuring maybe 6 or 8 demos, one was a cool kaleidoscope that had "house of the rising sun" music playing, another featured a cartoony band playing instruments while the song "major tom" was playing. another was some sort of dripping faucet. Anybody else remember this? Maybe it's called something else? Where can I d/l it???

That's a "Compy Shop" demo, done by Peter Sabath.

The original was a 130XE boot disk, which was later modified to run on 64KB systems and later again hacked to separate files.

Edit: added 130XE ATR

Compy Shop Graphic Demo II (Peter Sabath).zip

Edited by Fox-1 / mnx