IGNORED

best demos?

eegad

That's a "Compy Shop" demo, done by Peter Sabath.

The original was a 130XE boot disk, which was later modified to run on 64KB systems and later again hacked to separate files.

Edit: added 130XE ATR

Compy Shop Graphic Demo II (Peter Sabath).zip

Well,

almost right. The first version of this "Graphic + Sound" demo was released under the pseudonym "Dendrit Software" and it should have been released by the german magazine Computer Kontakt - but it never happened. So one or two years later the author (as already noted, Peter Sabath) re-released a slightly changed/improved version at Compyshop. While the older version works on 64k computers, the newer version works on 64k and 128k computers (on 64k machines multi-stage loading from disk, on 128k machines from XRAM/Ramdisk)...

Many of these demos can nowadays be found as fileversions. Attached you will find both original bootdisk versions. -Andreas Koch.

gr_snd_demos.zip

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Is there a file version of Neumen? I can only find .atr versions

You may copy the files from the ATR and run START.COM from an Atari DOS.

Or, for a single-file executable, concatenate NUMEN1.TQA and NUMEN2.TQA.

Linux:

cat NUMEN1.TQA NUMEN2.TQA >numen.xex

Windows:

copy /b NUMEN1.TQA NUMEN2.TQA numen.xex

Regarding the Peter Sabath demos disk....it was mentioned twice that file versions of the demos were made also. Any idea of the names of them and where I might locate them. I'm really only looking for the 2 kaleidoscope type demos (and maybe the cartoon band playing major tom).

Well,

here you are, two demo disks with file versions using 180k format each:

- Demos 1: load "Peter Schilling" demo to see/hear "Major Tom (Voellig losgeloest)"

- Demos 2: load a) Morning Song, b) Rising Sun and c) Lunatic demo

Think I have some more file versions of the P.Sabath demos, but these are the ones you asked for (at least I hope so)... -Andreas Koch.

P.S.: Boot without Basic, e.g. hold down OPTION key while booting a very old HiasSoft gamedos and choose+load your demo from there...

Psab_file_versions.zip

Well,

searching for a single file version of Numen ?!? Easy, at least for the main part: Get a disk or ATR which has enough space (at least 180kbytes) then use copy+append under DOS to copy the two Numen mainparts into one part. Tried it, worked ! But I have not tried to append the addendum part (greetings, making of, ...), so you are on your own there...

-Andreas Koch.

NUMEN.XEX

NumenF2.atr

Edited by CharlieChaplin

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got around to going through a bunch of downloaded demos this week and put together the attached rom/flashcart. No, it's not totally a "best of demos" collection, because so many great demos only work on PAL systems, and also because I was working with the requirement that they had to run on a stock 800xl. Anyway, here are 70 or so that I liked for one reason or another...

Demos.zip

• 7 months later...

I was always a fan of the Xanth demos and the 130XE demo: Video Blitz. I've never been a fan of demos with ridiculously long scrolling "greetz" and self-serving nonsense ... I often get bored before the demo is even finished. I do like Drunk Chessboard a lot, tho.

Jesus, who just destroyed my ears!!!

BITS did

Does this mean you didn't buy the demo?

I presume that the demo is deliberately audio scrambled then?

I just thought it was someone's eclectic idea of a tunes gone mad..

I also presumed it was a buy / donate idea since it allowed you to download it.

Jesus, who just destroyed my ears!!!

BITS did

Does this mean you didn't buy the demo?

I presume that the demo is deliberately audio scrambled then?

I just thought it was someone's eclectic idea of a tunes gone mad..

I also presumed it was a buy / donate idea since it allowed you to download it.

Oh - I am sure it's not deliberately scrambled. It was my usual sarcastic way of saying "I wouldn't pay a penny for this shit". I usually don't criticize anyone's work, but man! Asking money for it is just the icing on the cake.

Yes, its a bit of a piss take to ask 3 dollars for a rather cheap looking demo, to be honest asking ANY money for a demo is just stupid.

I do hope its more sonically pleasant after you have been conned ...sorry paid the 3 bucks.

Yes I know I have a choice to pay or not but I've seen people in this group produce stuff that blows that away and tbh its the fist time I've ever seen a charge for a demo on any scene.

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1