IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 4 Round 18: Beamrider

zylon

Neither of my 2 ports like this game.. Put in some quality "night play" this AM on my 4 port .

I may have to drag 'er along with me for the weekend as I am feeling the magic again.

what's it doing on the two-port?

I've had my four-port hooked up as of late as I was playing some Mountain King, Beamrider seemed to run ok on my two-port… I was just curious what the issue was

The 2 port that I broke galaxian on is the system I keep at our cottage. the last 3 rounds i have spent most of my time there and It seems finicky with this game. It might be me, but I seem to be all over the map score wise on it . High teens, mid 20's , I am NOT consistent on it at all !

My side to side movement seems delayed in comparison with my 4 port where I have consistently hit high 20's and 30 in warm up rounds. My stumbling block is round 9/10 , after they are out of the way I play with ease again. Must be the transition from slow to fast, then back.

I also have a brand new boxed 2 port which I un-boxed to check against my other 2 port. Better , but the same basic game glitches exist... Both are up to snuff and are calibrated.

On the other hand , Galaxian played weird on my 4 port during that round [summer humidity?], hence moving it over to a 2, where at the end of the round I was increasing my scores dramatically.

I found some interesting quirks between the 2 and 4 on countermeasure as well.

Depending on the game I will use other brand sticks that afford me the best game play.

Again, it could be me, but I am thinking my 4 port is spot on , and certain games being designed for the 4 may not cross over well to the 2.

Best has said they believe that I need a new 4 port motherboard by some of my rebuilt controller complaints...I beg to differ... For $25 I'll order one for grins and If it cures the few "minor" issues I have, great.

Edited by peedenmark7

there are 5 of them on 4 port boards and only 3 on some 2 port boards. I've been using used ones from a dead system.

CD4052BEXV RCA 223 (usually one per system)

CD4052BEXV RCA 227 (usually 4 per system)

These should be still available at many parts suppliers. The are positioned right behind the ports on the system board. These are soldered on some later systems unfortunately. :(

Edited by zylon

The HSC record has changed hands 3 times now. The sharks are on the prowl. :)

Brutal round to say the least... The competition is almost gut wrenching :)

I have been playing in the middle of the night all week... In a room that is all glass , its miserable playing during the day...

At night I can see the TV !!

I am anticipating a wild finish !

Dear Activision,

Please accept the below photo showing a score of 44,230 as evidence that I have earned entry to the ranks of the "Activision Beamriders" on the Atari 5200. I will understand if the extreme lateness of this request means that you can no longer send me the associated patch.

Sincerely,

sdamon

post-2092-0-79938100-1319996189_thumb.jpg

Epic score sdamon!!:thumbsup:

I only fared slightly better in emulation, assuming the response delay in controls would be less. I think your hands have to be a step ahead of your mind in this game.

On the Atari 8-bit version I did quite a bit better.

5200: 18,168

8-bit: 27,372

post-21471-0-92059200-1320022827_thumb.png

post-21471-0-06123100-1320022881_thumb.png