IGNORED

Genesis Homebrews?

Yurkie

I found this video and have read that there are tools for producing homebrews, but can't seem to find anything substantial.

Does anyone have any good info or links to Sega Genesis homebrew? Know any programmers that might want to join AtariAge now that there is a sub-forum?

Anyway here is a link to Pier Solar on Youtube, I think this is a homebrew work in progress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQEhpkBXLcs

Pier Solar was finished and released a while ago. Wasn't Beggar Prince another one from a few years back? Someone also ported Super Mario Bros. to the Genesis as well. There's homebrew activity, needless to say, but I don't know what they consist of asides from those I just listed. That's not counting reproductions of cancelled games either.

Edited by Austin

There are a couple of other homebrews floating around -- something involving a Pringles can, and an unfinished sidescroller that had some nice parallax effects -- but they haven't been formally released on carts. Chilly Willy has also done a few conversions for 32X, like Rick Dangerous and Wolfenstein 3D.

• 2 weeks later...

MrMark can make you a genesis reproduction if you look him up!

Ive talked about this subject with some mebers here and maybe they will chime in, but last we spoke they were thinking it was possible....

The repoduction of Genesis games is an ancient chinese secret and the repoductions are there...I think Ive got about 10-15 repros for genesis....Alien Soldier! Monster World 4...and more! Just ask him for special items?

Hoebrews link here http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/186873-unreleased-sega-genesis-reproduction-beastball-for-sale/page__p__2357223?do=findComment&comment=2357223

Pics to come if I ever get off my lazy arse and do it!

You can get a lot of artwork for the repros to put into a case over at coverproject.....nice peeps over there!

Edited by Chris Leach

• 4 weeks later...

There have been some homebrew projects here and there. SG Hangman was released last year. Pier Solar is the most major Homebrew to be released, and is one of the bigger and most professional Homebrew games ever. I was fortunate to purchase both the limited and non limited versions of the game. One thing about a system like the Genesis, homebrew projects are more complicated in nature thus you see fewer ones done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I found this video and have read that there are tools for producing homebrews, but can't seem to find anything substantial.

Does anyone have any good info or links to Sega Genesis homebrew? Know any programmers that might want to join AtariAge now that there is a sub-forum?

Anyway here is a link to Pier Solar on Youtube, I think this is a homebrew work in progress.

Yurkie, I've been kinda following Genesis homebrew sites off and on for a little bit and started to dabble with some of the tools! I admit this would likely be the system i would defect to if it wasnt for such a great coleco scene right now! I do admit I've considered making something for the sega genesis in the next year or so, I've also looked heavily into PC Engine dev! I even picked up one of the chinese sega clone systems with a SD slot for testing on real hardware, If i got something decent running i'd likely get a neoflash or whatever the hot ram cart is at the moment. If anyone here has any experience with the c coding tools for genesis and wants to share any lessons learned or any good how to guides let me know.

Take care,

Russ

There's a few Genesis homebrews on this site here. Unfortunately they are all listed alphabetically along with regular titles as well so you have to go hunting for them.

But I've found some Mario and Donkey Kong games made for Genesis here, along with some silly games like Jizz Wars. And there's some games I'm not sure if they are homebrews or actual games (like 16 Ton and Squirrel King).

Worth trying out though.

16 Ton was a SegaNet release exclusive to Japan, IIRC, and Squirrel King is a Taiwanese pirate. The Genesis has a pretty sizable fund of unlicensed games from Taiwanese, mainland Chinese, and/or Russian developers, and while some are just graphics hacks or downgraded ports, a few are original games with varying levels of competency.

Speaking of which, there's also a homebrew port of the ZX Spectrum game "Uwol - Quest For Money", which was done by a Russian developer IIRC. That in turn has been hacked and pirated as "Kolobok - Pyramida", which means something like "Gingerbread Man - Pyramid".

• 2 weeks later...

I've done a number of things for the Genesis and 32X - mainly toolchains and examples. They're posted over at SEGA-16 and SpritesMind, but I could post here as well if people think it would be helpful.

If people have technical questions about the Genesis/CD/32X, I can handle that as well.

Please feel free to post any info and tools you feel are helpful! I've been interested in trying my hand at sega genesis dev for a little while now! I've released a few iPhone games, 1 xbox360 indie game and my first coleco homebrew is going to be avaialble in march. any info to help me and others interested in sega dev might get the scene really cooking?! Is there a C compiler or only assembly? I'm far more comfortable with C.

Take care, looking forward to hearing from you on this,

Russ

Uh - I posted this thread some time ago, yet it still says there's not been a single view of it. Can other people see this thread?

I was able to view it just fine. Now as for understanding it.. still over my head! ;-)

Very odd - it still says 0 views... it's the only thread I've seen like that. Maybe it's a bug in the board code related to the fact that I made the thread. :?

Very odd - it still says 0 views... it's the only thread I've seen like that. Maybe it's a bug in the board code related to the fact that I made the thread. :?

It's a bug in the forum. Others have reported this as well.

Thanks. I thought as much, but it's good to have confirmation. I wonder what will happen when someone eventually replies to it - it would be hilarious to have a thread with 1 or more replies, but 0 views. :-D