IGNORED

Favorite Genesis Shoot 'em Ups (Shmups)

I went through a shmup phase a decade ago. My favorites on Genesis are:

MUSHA - great vertical shmup by Compile (Robo Aleste on Sega CD was a sequel). Japanese feudal setting w/steam-powered mech technology. Once I experienced fighting ball-n-chains swinging mechs in an electric storm in the clouds, I was hooked.

Thunderforce III - dated visuals but its my favorite TF.

Thunderforce IV aka Lightening Force - awesome visuals and challenge, a bit too much for me. I can't beat it.

Biohazard Battle - I love the visual style and motif - a mix of futuristic mutations of bugs and worms, mixed with a prehistoric visual motif. Love the bass-heavy weird sounds & music.

Gaiares - I'm torn on this one. The bullets move to quickly and its easy to die. The visuals are so-so, but not bad. But its got some neat levels and a very unique weapon system called the TOZ (how'd I remember all this, haven't played it for a while?!). The TOZ shoots out and bonds with an enemy, giving you kind of a rewritable different weapon each time. Pretty neat concept. The villain's name is Badnusty. Z.Z. Badnusty.

Edited by Cafeman
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...