IGNORED

Who's good at "fiddling" with ADT Pro?

I recently got my Apple //e up and running (thanks Blackbag), and now am having some issues with ADT Pro.

While before I was able to setup a bootstrap ok, well, ok to the point where I knew the Apple heard the PC, now it seems that the 2 won't talk to each other.

Reading about the ADT forums, some have pointed out that you can have a successful bootstrap, and then all other transfers fail due to the Apple not "speaking loud enough." I've gone and added the mic boost, as was suggested by others, and messed about with the volume levels a bunch, and still no dice.

I have some older Sound Blaster 512 card I think. I'm not sure what else it could be. I've made sure a dozen times that the right cable is connected to the right ports. If anyone has any suggestions or knows any "trick" to this, I'd appreciate it.

It's not that big a deal. Next month I'll get a serial cable from the ADT guys for the SSC that I have already. Then I can worry about that.

I recently got my Apple //e up and running (thanks Blackbag), and now am having some issues with ADT Pro.

While before I was able to setup a bootstrap ok, well, ok to the point where I knew the Apple heard the PC, now it seems that the 2 won't talk to each other.

Reading about the ADT forums, some have pointed out that you can have a successful bootstrap, and then all other transfers fail due to the Apple not "speaking loud enough." I've gone and added the mic boost, as was suggested by others, and messed about with the volume levels a bunch, and still no dice.

I have some older Sound Blaster 512 card I think. I'm not sure what else it could be. I've made sure a dozen times that the right cable is connected to the right ports. If anyone has any suggestions or knows any "trick" to this, I'd appreciate it.

It's not that big a deal. Next month I'll get a serial cable from the ADT guys for the SSC that I have already. Then I can worry about that.

Slow your baud rate down to 9600 on both machines.

Edited by dudeslife

300 Baud sounds about right. Maybe 1200, depending on the quality of the audio. I think the original Apple I ran at 1200 baud.

If you have a surplus store around, or even a thrifty, a "serial communications" cable can be had for cheap. That's what I did. Coupla bucks, and $10 for a USB serial adapter, which appears to work great.

Is it working now?

Edited by potatohead

I don't have any such store nearby, I don't think. I'll check tomorrow into one that may have one, but if they don't, it's just mail order stuffs I can look into.

No, it's not working right now. I'll try again tonight one more time, otherwise I'll just wait till I can get a serial cable. It's just over a week away till I can do that.

In the meantime I'm all excited about playing with Wasteland characters I made 23 years ago. Booting it up was like opening a time capsule. I'll also be making cool custom disk labels for the other games in Photoshop, so I have something to keep me busy in the event that the audio connection is still giving me poopy business.

I've actually been thinking alot about making cool custom labels. Some of the disk labels back in the day were half-assed, so I'm going to kick their ass.

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting related project is the Apple Disk Server..

It's the same basic technology, but instead of writing images to floppy, you select them and load them into memory on the Apple and then play them.

Of course, it only works with games that load themselves in memory in one piece, but there's a surprising number of those.. ;-)

To be honest tho, I haven't tried the Apple Disk Server yet.. It's on my list of things to try.. ;-)

desiv

If you ever need to go back to the audio cable I had to muck around with mine also on 2 different PCs. Its good to see the volume level going in and out - you can tell when its too loud or not loud enough. When I used a laptop I had to turn stereo sound off and only use 1 channel (I think the Right channel worked best) - also some fiddling with the bass also helped.

Once I got it working it was fine but way too slow - I just got a CFFA3000 and hope to get that running soon.