IGNORED

Colecovision Repair Help

Skylark68

I recently pulled my Colecovision out of long term storage (climate controlled and dry). I attempted to play it this afternoon and it powers up okay, but when playing Gorf and Pepper II, for example, the screen shifts and flashes whenever I make any movement with the controller. Likewise, if I jiggle the power cord close to where it plugs into the system the screen flashes and shifts violently. Sometimes it even restarts the game at the "Colecovision" screen. I can also hear a little bit of static or hiss in the background when sound effects are playing. Interestingly, Mr. Do plays okay but I can still hear the static sound in the background. Before I tear into the system, is there any suggestions out there to what it might be?

Id recommend opening it regardless to clean it after storage... but you can always try cleaning the pins on the carts first... but you prob will have to clean the pins on the system itself too... when you open it make sure the contact points on the power port are loose... brasso and rubbing alcohol mixed with water for cleaning pins...

Thanks for the advice. I took it apart last night and cleaned it up. It still does the same thing, but it's not as bad now. At least it's playable now. Maybe a little more cleaning will do the trick. I decided to put it up for sale on ebay though "as is".... It's a neat system, but it's my least favorite out of the 2600, Intellivision, Odyssey 2 (out of my remaining systems). I'm trying to focus on my 2600 collection right now.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a problem that ANY movement of console while playing would scramble game screen or make it go blank, thus requiring a reboot.I discovered that the connector going to the RF modulator box inside console at the back of CV console was loose, and any slight touch of loose connector would cause the screen problems like the problems you described.I opened up console, lifted up the silver-square RF modulator box lid and discovered the mounting points that hold box in solidly were ALL cracked.So i soldered them up which made the box and connector solid again, and problem was solved to where my CV works like new.I've done this to several of my CV's, hope this helps.

I started another thread about the luck I've been having using spray contact cleaner on my controllers. Then, I had a CV arrive with garbled graphics. Before going through the hassle of opening the unit, I thought I'd try out the cleaner on the power and RV ports on the console. It fixed everything. That was yesterday, and the unit is still working fine now.

Here's the other thread: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/189966-the-wonders-of-electronics-contact-cleaner/page__fromsearch__1

• Like 1