IGNORED

Found this video of Space Harrier

emkay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-3q2m73INc

Actually they talk of the same stuff like C64 has more colours and higher resolution.

But there is NO mentioning on the real hardware use... and the game resembling the original gameplay... on the small Atari ;)

also they talk nonsense of the "sprites", being polite with C64 users.

May I remind of something, how the game would actually look without the coprocessing of the ANTIC?

post-2756-0-17709400-1320348304_thumb.png

Edited by emkay

Also funny, the narrator told something of faster clocking on the A8 (than C64) . And someone from behind immediately searched for a load off his mind , accusing the A8 being clocked higher than normal ;)

I always overclock my 800XL, just go into the BIOS and change a few settings and it runs real sweet with my latest Nvidia graphics card. :grin:

Also funny, the narrator told something of faster clocking on the A8 (than C64) . And someone from behind immediately searched for a load off his mind , accusing the A8 being clocked higher than normal ;)

I always overclock my 800XL, just go into the BIOS and change a few settings and it runs real sweet with my latest Nvidia graphics card. :grin:

What they don't get is that the double scanline mode really does stuff...

The lower resolution (160x100) offers more free memory, thus less calculations.

Making it possible to handle "free on the screen" moving objects at a resolution of 160x100 .

The CPU gets faster by less DMA, which results in ca. 1.5MHz, giving enough cpu speed to handle the objects.

So you get it "all" . RAM , CPU speed and fitting resolution.

And at the end of the road ( ;) ) ANTIC copies 50% of the screen for free.

It's handling like a 3MHz C64...

You might remember the "fast" racing games on the C64.

Mostly done by charmode movement (resolution of 40x25) . Here you don't have any benefit with fps. Just try to make an object moving at 50 fps at that low resolution, it would simply be too fast, so you have to reduce the updates too a fraction of it.

Alike what's been done on the C64. The built frames on the Atari are really "one frame" in look and sync .

I get the feeling that the comments about it 'being impossible on a stock machine' are meant as a compliment. Isn't that reaction we'd all love to get at least once to something we coded?

'That's impossible'

'no it's not, I just did. try it yourself'

'ohh..... shit.'

What are you trying to tell us emkay?

That it's wrong to be polite to C64 owners?

• Like 1

What are you trying to tell us emkay?

That it's wrong to be polite to C64 owners?

LOL

Rockford is a mainly C64 guy. As we may have seen by older threads. And, seeing him taking part on different discussions, I'm even wondering more, that he did a mixup with the simplest facts.

The whole session in the Video is not about "wow, look what the Atari can do" .... It was " If the Atari can do this, the C64 can do it better" ;)

.... but with analyzing the wrong technical details.... just from the view of a C64 guy.

Edited by emkay

well without a fair an accurate translation it's not really possible to look too deeply into whatever he said.

I'd be interested to see how much better the C64 version could be with a decent amount of time and effort put into it though

For laughs - here's the PC version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fUYD8KKV9M

Edited by sack-c0s

Hi there! Mathy told me of this thread. I'm the narrator in this video an I have some comments:

1. The Nickname "Rockford" is a nickname I use in another forum (Abbuc.de). I am not ( and never was) the "Rockford" here on AtariAge. I am an A8 user and not an C64 user. I never owned an C64.

2. The explanations are based on a discussion before the begin of this video. Most of the others in the room were C64 user and we talked about the differences between sprites and player-missile graphic. By mistake I took over the "sprites" in my mind while making the presentation. Later I noticed this confusion, but then the video was done and online (I did not put it on youtube). After all, it made it more understandable for the C64 guys. ;)

3. For the presentation used the old demo, because I didn't had a 8MB cart for the final version. I showed it on a real A8 (130XE).

4. Heaven/TGA: Jepp, ich bin Schwabe.

A short summary of the spoken text: I explained, how yout get more than one color for the player (the unlucky "sprite" discussion...), about the speed in this game (this ist the part when an C64 user asked the funny question if it is higher clocked than normal), and about the limitations in colors (this is the part when a C64 user said the C64 version has more colors - Later I saw the C64 version, it has not more colors).

After all the main idea was presenting new games for the A8, but it ended as an discussion about system differences, as always. Because of this I didn't even talked about the history of Space Harrier, about the original programmers and so on.

• Like 3