IGNORED

What are the names of the older modem connectors? (War games reference)

Does anyone know if there is a name applied to the modem connectors you set an actual phone receiver on, to connect?

I've been nonchalantly looking since I saw the one in war games at 0:43

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAcEzhQ7oqA

years ago, and I've been actively looking to acquire one since I saw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9dpXHnJXaE

I know older phones and various other bits of tech have adopted names, like the "candle stick" style phones. Any generic umbrella identifying names for theses? More specific models?

Has anyone seen one for sale recently? ANY other info about these units would be appreciated!

Thanks

-Spence

Edit:

(fixed text positioning around videos)

Edited by Silntdoogood

for your enjoyment...

post-17508-0-41898000-1320801591_thumb.jpg

Oh man, That's a thing? Atari made them? I have a new quest! How did I not know about this?

Top three things to attain:

-that

-520ST(or something to drive my SC1224, I want to see it in action)

-IBM 5150(This is getting pushed farther down the list, I may just sell the keyboard now that I have a compaq portable...there's only so many uses for older DOS machines)

Thanks for uploading!

Edit:

By the way, I have the same red phone XD

Edited by Silntdoogood

What all is required to get a computer online over an 830? If I found myself an 800 system, and a dial-up connection to work over, is there any chance of success, as shown above? I'm sorry I don't know much of networking prior the early 90's.

You had to connect the 830 through an 850 (or I think there were 3rd party options). You'll need appropriate software (like Telelink cart which came w/ 830).

I've never actually tried it though due to lack of a landline.

What all is required to get a computer online over an 830? If I found myself an 800 system, and a dial-up connection to work over, is there any chance of success, as shown above? I'm sorry I don't know much of networking prior the early 90's.

You had to connect the 830 through an 850 (or I think there were 3rd party options). You'll need appropriate software (like Telelink cart which came w/ 830).

I've never actually tried it though due to lack of a landline.

Well, I've got the landline, and the phone, more parts than I do for the 5150. Thanks for the info, would have been disapointed to gather an 800 and an 830 to only find I need one more part...Hopefully, If I do find everything, there's some server comaptibility.

I have an Texas Instruments "portable" teletype from 1979 with a built in thermal printer and modem w/acoustic couplers. The printer stopped working about 10-12 years ago and I'm not sure I want to pay $150+ for a replacement print head assembly. But...the modem still works, or at least it did six or seven years ago when I last played around with it. Good times!

The closet I had to a modem with acoustic couplers BITD was a Commodore VicModem. It didn't have a dialer built in, so you'd have to manually dial your BBS number and remove the cord from the handset when the remote computer answered and plug it into the modem.

I'm too young to have done anything with acoustic modems (got online thru Prodify in 1992 with a 5200 modem) but I've seen them operate and how anyone could stand using them is beyond me. Not only would you have to deal with the normal issues of manualy dialing the number, trying to connect, line noise, etc, but they heard EVERYTHING! God forbid you sneezed or someone range your buzzer or your dog barked....WHAM, you were offline and have to do it all over again!

And I thought loading games from tapes as a kid was bad. :P