IGNORED

Taking scratches out of 7800 metal plate?

petik1

MY 7800 has been in a plastic bin for a few months now. I pulled it out today, and to my horror, I found a few small scratches on the metal plate. I was wondering if anyone has successfully gotten scratches out of it before. Would the old 'toothpaste and cloth' trick work?

• 10 months later...

Thought I'd bump this thread rather than start a new one. @Greg2600 or anyone else who has replaced their metal nameplate on the 7800: I too was going to replace mine. The console itself is an older model...with expansion interface. I love it, but the metal bezel is pretty darned beat up.

Anyway, how difficult is it to replace the metal nameplate? Would I need to crack the case open in order to pop the plate off from the inside? Or is it glued onto the top shell casing? If the latter, it seems as though this would leave a sticky mess after trying to rip the plate off.

Any insight and pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thought I'd bump this thread rather than start a new one. @Greg2600 or anyone else who has replaced their metal nameplate on the 7800: I too was going to replace mine. The console itself is an older model...with expansion interface. I love it, but the metal bezel is pretty darned beat up.

Anyway, how difficult is it to replace the metal nameplate? Would I need to crack the case open in order to pop the plate off from the inside? Or is it glued onto the top shell casing? If the latter, it seems as though this would leave a sticky mess after trying to rip the plate off.

Any insight and pointers would be greatly appreciated!

I talked to a guy at Best Electronics, and he told me to remove the top of the 7800.And then use a hairdryer on the metal plate to heat it up.When hot enough, kind of peel or roll the plate off.Then use Glue sticky remover or rubbing alcohol to remove excess stickyness where the plate once was.Wipe and let dry, then put the new plate on with the proper kind of glue.Put the top back on.

Thanks Stun! Yea, good idea on simply asking the folks at Best for their ideas on this. I actually had an e-mail exchange with Brad over their late last year....I should have just asked him then. But then the holiday's came up, etc. etc. Plus the more I thought about it I figured that eventually the XM would simply cover up the nameplate, so what was the point. However now it's bugging me again. And I guess even with the XM eventually covering my pitted bezel up, I'd still know it was nasty looking underneath! :)

• 1 year later...

I talked to a guy at Best Electronics, and he told me to remove the top of the 7800.And then use a hairdryer on the metal plate to heat it up.When hot enough, kind of peel or roll the plate off.Then use Glue sticky remover or rubbing alcohol to remove excess stickyness where the plate once was.Wipe and let dry, then put the new plate on with the proper kind of glue.Put the top back on.

What is the 'proper kind of glue' to use to adhere the new plate to the console?

What is the 'proper kind of glue' to use to adhere the new plate to the console?

The plate I ordered from Best already had the adhesive on it. I used GooGone to remove the old stuff and alcohol for a final cleaning before putting the new plate on. Be very careful with positioning of the new plate because once it's stuck on, it's not coming off again.

• 1 year later...

Can someone post a link to this part? I couldn't find it on the site. Thanks!

Probably not on the site.

As Kenny from the Salvation Army once told me in Waukegan, IL… sometimes all you have to do is axe!

In other words… write or call Bradley and tell him what you're looking for…

• 2 weeks later...