IGNORED

XF551 PSU

bobsmith2012

I just got hold of a XF551 drive and know that I need 9V AC, but don't know the amps for the PSU.

Anyone able to supply the information or point me somewhere to obtain it.

I have tried a google search and have found indications that the PSU used is normally a 3.4 amp one but only able to find a 3 amp PSU locally.

Thanks.

Edited by bobsmith2012

The XF551 uses the same power supply as the 1050, 1200XL, and most other 9vac Atari gear. Some early Atari hardware came with a 15 watt supply, but all the newer stuff is 31 watts (3.4a). Only the 1027 had a larger (40w) 9vac supply. If you have a 3 amp supply, it will work OK - just make sure it's 9vac.

Bob

I just got hold of a XF551 drive and know that I need 9V AC, but don't know the amps for the PSU.

Anyone able to supply the information or point me somewhere to obtain it.

I have tried a google search and have found indications that the PSU used is normally a 3.4 amp one but only able to find a 3 amp PSU locally.

Thanks.

It actually works fine with NES/SNES adaptor, which is ~1,3A. Not sure if it's enough to power next accessories connected to it, like XC-12, but that's powered through SIO? :)

Don't use a NES/SNES AC Adaptor: it will not last more than a bunch of hours, damaging both the XF551 and the connected Adapter! 1.3A is too little for a device that requires a power which is three times bigger.

It actually works fine with NES/SNES adaptor, which is ~1,3A. Not sure if it's enough to power next accessories connected to it, like XC-12, but that's powered through SIO? :)

Don't use a NES/SNES AC Adaptor: it will not last more than a bunch of hours, damaging both the XF551 and the connected Adapter! 1.3A is too little for a device that requires a power which is three times bigger.

Oh, ok, thanks. I thought that 3,4A is needed only when motor statrs to spin up. And I was also lazy to find better one when NES was lying around ;)

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You has a bad internal ram chip on the board of XF551 ,sir. I had the same problem with my 1 of 1050 disk drive. It was blinking every 2 or 3 seconds , just like you mentioned above. You need to replace the good ram on the board. I had been switched my another 1050 with my upgrade Happy chip board and it is works great !

My friend told me about this case above.

• 3 weeks later...

Have a picture or link to what you are using? Everything that I've seen is too big to fit inside.

-Larry

A 12v/5v power supply of those you can find on the market to power PC hard drives fits nicely >>>inside the XF 551<<<. My modded XF has a power cord that goes directly to the A/C outlet and forget about the A/C power brick.